View Full Version : Whats with all of the supplements?

sarahsweets
02-15-13, 05:58 AM
I mean in regards to either, avoiding meds, reducing tolerance, quitting meds...
I am not talking about the alphabet ones(a.b.c.d etc...) and I dont mean the nutrient ones (zinc,iron,calcium,folic acide, etc) I mean ones that are a little off the beaten path like:
- 5htp
- Acetyl-L Carnatine
- L-Tyrosine
- DMAE
- GABA

What are these meant for?
Are they safe?
Has reliable research been done to prove their reliability and safety?

It seems like there is a concern (sometimes over concern) or fear of the big bad boogyman tolerance...and what I have seen other than med breaks are a variety of supplements beyond the "standard" chelated magnesium. Is tolerance ,addiction etc so bad and so rampant that some of these supplements are necessary? What would the above supplements and others be good for? I am just really curious because it seems that when someone wants to stop say, amphetamines, or reduce tolerance or "protect" their neurotransmitters ( if thats even possible) supplements like these are tossed around as options. Do these supplements work for other stuff? Do they work at all?

Since "natural treatment" IMO has limited (if any) success, why are they mentioned and do they work? Any science behind it?

Thanks.

PS: PLAY NICE OR YOU WILL BE ASKED TO LEAVE THE SAND BOX AND SIT IN THE NAUGHTY CORNER.

starry
02-15-13, 06:10 AM
Without googling any of them, just off my head.... I know that L-Tryrosine and L-Carnitine are non-essential amino acids I used to take those along with a few others when I was on the Atkins Diet, since in his book he wrote that they aid with burning fat and build muscle by regulating glucose levels. Popular with athletes and bodybuilders.
5-HTP and GABA are also amino acids and from what I know, they aid with better mind function, and from what I remember they help with memory too.

I'd have to research to find out more.

LaMbaL
02-15-13, 06:30 AM
Ive tried a couple of them, none of them had an earth-shattering effect but it was noticeable nonetheless. If money wasnt an issue, I would still be using some supplements.

Acetyl-l-carnitine has yielded some significant research results with respect to ADHD, although I personally found it to be the least helpful.

5-HTP is a precursor to serotonin, and is actually helpful in combating depression.

L-Tyrosine is also a percursor to multiple neurotransmitters, and has gained some popularity among cocaine-users as it helps ease the come-down and the hangover. Seeing as cocaine is somewhat similar to the medically approved amfetamins used in ADHD treatment, it is easy to imagine how it could be helpful there too, and I did find it helpful on days when I was feeling a little 'off'.

Havent tried DMAE or GABA, but from what Ive read GABA is an essential supporter for the functioning of all neurotransmitters, and improves their effectiveness. DMAE ive seen but cant remember what it does.

All in all, I feel supplements do have limited effect compared to drug treatment, but still noticeably positive. If you combine this with the fact that it has pretty much no negative side-effects, I feel they are in essence worth it, but are just overpriced.

Fuzzy12
02-15-13, 06:42 AM
I try to take supplements regularly (fish oil, multivitamin and vit D) but usually forget about it. :doh:

I've just bought some tyrosine (not sure if it's L type though) but haven't tried it out yet. I haven't noticed any difference on any supplement.

I'm not sure they are completely harmless though. They are still unregulated substances that you are putting into your body and can, especially in higher doses, be toxic.

I think, the general advice is to get all your nutritious needs from food and only take supplements if there is evidence of a deficiency. I've also read a study, where they found that on average people who take a daily multivitamin supplement have a reduced life expectancy (I'm not sure if they considered other factors though like that it that people whose health isn't great might be more likely to take supplements).

Also some supplements can interfere with your medication.

If you are taking blood thinners you are supposed to be careful with taking omega 3 supplements as it also thins blood.

I asked my GP about omega 3, vit D and tyrosine and she said it should be fine though she wasn't hopeful that they would help.

starry
02-15-13, 06:44 AM
I've tried 5-HTP for depression. Didn't help a bit.

Of all the natural supplements I've tried, only St. Johns Wort actually helped with my depression. Unfortunately only for about a year though. It was still impressive though.

Mr Digital 01
02-15-13, 10:37 AM
My Pdoc suggested I get L-Tyrosine, he said it would 'boost' the effectiveness of the Dex.
I like what Lambal said about it "it helps ease the come-down and the hangover." Havent tried it yet.

He also suggested fish oil but it had to have 1000mg of Bepa or something. in it. Not tried yet.

Lunacie
02-15-13, 11:24 AM
My Pdoc suggested I get L-Tyrosine, he said it would 'boost' the effectiveness of the Dex.
I like what Lambal said about it "it helps ease the come-down and the hangover." Havent tried it yet.

He also suggested fish oil but it had to have 1000mg of Bepa or something. in it. Not tried yet.

I tried Gaba last month for help sleeping. I was still taking Trazadone so
I don't know if it helped or not. I haven't taken either of them for about
a month and am thinking of trying Gaba for sleep again.

I've seen comments that only fish oil that's from krill or that has a certain
amount of EPA is helpful. But I buy mine from the freaking dollar store and
it works really well for me.

Mr Digital 01
02-15-13, 11:35 AM
I tried Gaba last month for help sleeping. I was still taking Trazadone so
I don't know if it helped or not. I haven't taken either of them for about
a month and am thinking of trying Gaba for sleep again.

I've seen comments that only fish oil that's from krill or that has a certain
amount of EPA is helpful. But I buy mine from the freaking dollar store and
it works really well for me.

Yea that's it EPA not bepa. He said to be useful, you need to take a minimum of 1000mg EPA in fish oil caps.
Most only have 180=250mg in a 1000mg cap. That's 5-6 a day unless you get the exxy ones! ... eeeww Fish Burps!

I like the sound of GABA - I mean the word, sounds relaaaxxing.
There is a cricket ground in Adelaide called The Gaba. I wonder if I can do any more random thought associations...

Lunacie
02-15-13, 12:15 PM
Yea that's it EPA not bepa. He said to be useful, you need to take a minimum of 1000mg EPA in fish oil caps.
Most only have 180=250mg in a 1000mg cap. That's 5-6 a day unless you get the exxy ones! ... eeeww Fish Burps!

I like the sound of GABA - I mean the word, sounds relaaaxxing.
There is a cricket ground in Adelaide called The Gaba. I wonder if I can do any more random thought associations...

The fish oil caps I take have 300 mg of epa. I take two each morning.
They are very useful for me. Not that I know more than a doctor, ha.

Don't know why some people get fishy burps, but it seems to be a minority.

dvdnvwls
02-15-13, 12:45 PM
The common recommendation is (I think) 1000 mg per day of DHA and EPA, combined.

Another doctor (for an unrelated condition [well, nothing is unrelated, but YKWIM][it was high triglycerides]) assured me that there is no upper limit for fish oil, that patients in emergency with pancreatitis are given "handfuls" (his words) of fish oil capsules, and (doctor's words again) "nobody has ever gotten sick from too much fish oil as far as I know".

Lunacie
02-15-13, 01:28 PM
The common recommendation is (I think) 1000 mg per day of DHA and EPA, combined.

Another doctor (for an unrelated condition [well, nothing is unrelated, but YKWIM][it was high triglycerides]) assured me that there is no upper limit for fish oil, that patients in emergency with pancreatitis are given "handfuls" (his words) of fish oil capsules, and (doctor's words again) "nobody has ever gotten sick from too much fish oil as far as I know".

Fish oil is a known blood thinner, but that's the only concern I'm aware of.
As long as doctors know when you're taking more than the recommended
amount so they can take it into account, it should be good.

ana futura
02-15-13, 01:42 PM
They make the meds work better. L-tyrosine and L-theanine really smooth out my medication and get rid of my rebounds, which are pretty bad.

L-tyrosine seems to be worthless on its own.

L-theanine is useful off meds- I find it really helps with anxiety.

dvdnvwls
02-15-13, 03:13 PM
They make the meds work better. L-tyrosine and L-theanine really smooth out my medication and get rid of my rebounds, which are pretty bad.

L-tyrosine seems to be worthless on its own.

L-theanine is useful off meds- I find it really helps with anxiety.
How have you timed the L-tyrosine and L-theanine to smooth out the medication and rebound?

starry
02-15-13, 09:42 PM
i like the sound of gaba - i mean the word, sounds relaaaxxing.

lol!!! :)

ana futura
02-16-13, 02:53 AM
How have you timed the L-tyrosine and L-theanine to smooth out the medication and rebound?

I take everything at once usually, often along with B vitamins and fish oil. My doses of meds are really small though, and I don't medicate daily, only "as needed". I think that taking the L-tyrosine this way if you are on a large daily dose is maybe not the best idea, because it might make the meds "too strong"? I dunno, hasn't happened to me.

425runner
02-17-13, 08:32 PM
I take tyrosine first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, it seems to wake me up a bit. Nothing miraculous...I should probably take more but afraid because in high doses it makes a person anxious/angry. Too much NE released....

Tried 5-HTP for depression, it was terrible and actually made me more depressed. I wanted to sleep all day and not even get out of bed.

GABA is supposedly relaxing and helps with the release of growth hormone at night, popular with bodybuilders. Tried it once...made me feel weird...short of breath and just weird...I prefer lemon balm or l-theanine for relaxation. A small dose of Klonopin if I start getting stressed out at work.

l-theanine is amino acid, best taken on an empty stomach. It is naturally present in green tea, helps with serotonin and dopamine release.

ConcertaParent
02-18-13, 11:33 PM
Can anybody post the links to the scientific studies proving the efficacy of any of these supplements? Since four drugs and Omega-3 have not worked, I keep researching supplements, herbs and other so-called "natural" alternatives but they have been dead-ends or disappointments.
Acetyl-l-carnitine has yielded some significant research results with respect to ADHD

tudorose
02-19-13, 12:00 AM
I take a lot of stuff under the direction of a naturopath. They can tell you what is safe to take and whether it will interact with your ADHD meds.

I wonder if those other one Sarah was talking about initially came out to enhance sporting performance much like vitamins E, P and O.

Lunacie
02-19-13, 05:11 PM
Can anybody post the links to the scientific studies proving the efficacy of any of these supplements? Since four drugs and Omega-3 have not worked, I keep researching supplements, herbs and other so-called "natural" alternatives but they have been dead-ends or disappointments.

Did the doctor try raising and lowering the dosage of the medications?
Some need a higher dose than usual, some need only a very small dose.
Some do best combining a stimulant with Strattera or Welbutrin.

When nothing works, I think it's a good idea to get a diagnosis from
another doctor, looking for learning disabilities, eyesight problems,
depression, bipolar, or something else.