View Full Version : Hey there!

anemia462
02-17-13, 08:29 AM
Sup guys! I've been browsing the forums for quite some time now but never posted anything, so I guess an introduction and a brief summary of my journey is a good start. I was diagnosed with ADHD (Combined Type) and clinical depression at age 16 in March last year, 10th grade. My dad also had the same diagnosis as I did a few years ago and pressed my mom to get me on the same track 5 years ago. They addressed it last year when things were at an all time low for me, just in time.

Diagnosis alone felt like a tremendous burden plaguing me was lifted. Upon the day of diagnosis, my psychiatrist prescribed me 30mg Adderall XR. For about a month it did wonders in grades, I went from borderline C-'s to B's and A's. I relapsed soon after when I decided to change schools for 11th grade due to daily harassment I experienced from the dean, principal and my history teacher. With the medication, I no longer tolerated getting stepped on. It deteriorated when I refused to write an apology to Bill Gates (yeah, it's a long story.) for saying I didn't like our prototype history curriculum over Facebook. I finally became assertive but it led to uncontrollable anger, which caused a few psychotic episodes. I stopped taking it because of that anger and because of appetite. Now, I'm at a new school for 11th grade and it's great. My psychiatrist also moved me to 40mg Metadate CD and it does everything the Adderall did minus nearly every side-effect. From last semester's grades alone, my cumulative GPA went from 2.4 to 2.9. If I continue to improve like this, I will be able to get into CU Boulder's engineering school for computer science which would be a dream come true for me. Things are great right now. :D

I look forward to meeting everyone and I look forward to becoming more active on here!

TagEHeuer
02-17-13, 08:33 AM
An apology to Bill Gates!? I've got all day.....

Also welcome to the community, I'm sure you'll find all the help you need from everyone :)

anemia462
02-17-13, 09:48 AM
An apology to Bill Gates!? I've got all day.....

Also welcome to the community, I'm sure you'll find all the help you need from everyone :)
Thanks, haha.

Bear with me on the apology story, it's long:

A professor named David Christian created a course by the name of Big History which started the very first pilot classes last year. The jump-start was made possible because Bill Gates thought it would be interesting, so he assisted Christan financially in making the course possible. In addition, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation gave my school (it's a charter) a large grant that literally built my school from the ground up and is basically responsible for its existence. We weren't one of the pilot schools, but my teacher seemed to absolutely adore everything about him. He got in touch with the Big History Project and begged them to let our school be a pilot school. They agreed, and my teacher promptly threw out his world history curriculum and replaced it with Big History. Here's the thing though, he didn't use the foundation curriculum. Before Christian launched the course, he wrote a book called 'Big History'. My teacher based the entire curriculum off of that book.

The whole 10th grade was mad, we pretty much lost of a year of genuine history. At that school, teachers can assign mandatory tutoring after school. He confused our class all the time by telling us what something meant, then say it meant something completely different. He never wanted to meet with kids in private because if they didn't get it he would say there was nothing he could do.

After multiple pleas for clarification, I went on Facebook and found the Big History Facebook page. I asked why the videos we watched on their website had no correlation to what our teacher taught us and said I felt like I wasn't learning anything. The next day I get pulled out of chemistry in the middle of a test into my teachers office. He said Big History Project took offense to my Facebook comment. They deleted it, looked at my profile, saw what school I went to and emailed my teacher about it saying, "Jim (the teacher), if this is one of your students I highly recommend you or Mark (principal) have a talk with him. This doesn't accurately portray our relationship at all.".

When I was talking with him in private when he pulled me out of class, he absolutely lost it. He swore at me, told me my opinion didn't matter, that I had to apologize or else, yada yada.. Then he said something that really got to me. He said, "Ben, I think this diagnosis and the medication is severely impacting your ability to think clearly. It's really concerning me, I just don't think it's right for you.". I was supposed to come back to school the next day with a few page apology on why I was wrong, how I broke the core values at my school, how I will fix it, who can help me in fixing it, why I alone made my school look bad as a whole through my slander, and a formal ending asking if they could accept it. (The school stresses apologies as a part of their culture. Every time someone was suspended or did something dramatic enough to earn one, they had to write an apology and read it in front of the entire school, and plea for re-admission back into the community where kids, but most of the time staff could chime in on whether it was sincere or not.) I was to address it to Bill Gates, Skip Gates, David Christian, and my school.

After talking with my parents, we decided it was absolutely unnecessary given the circumstances. Despite that, I had to write it because if I didn't I would have most of my necessities and privileges stripped from me at school. I wrote about a paragraph apologizing for not elaborating enough on why I felt that way, and the dean, principal, and teacher demanded I write a less "half-hearted" apology. I never re-wrote it. I had continuous encouragement from kids at school for standing up to them and I had family support as well so I stood where they wanted me. For the rest of the year, I was to get my lunch (I never ate lunch either.) and report to the deans during lunch. I had my laptop confiscated and reissued multiple times (each student was issued a laptop where we did everything school related. Homework, projects, class work, study tools, and tests.), and I was regularly accused of things ranging from bullying to cheating to disrupting my classmates during school (a suspend-able to expel-able offense.).

Whew, glad I'm gone.

amberwillow
04-12-13, 07:31 AM
Well, in spite of all of that... You are very welcome here ;)