View Full Version : Crunching?

rhnorth
02-18-13, 10:47 PM
Does anyone else have a SEVERE aversion to crunching noises (people eating crunchy foods)? I can't handle it at ALL. I have to wear headphones or leave the room. It makes me ANGRY I start to get angry at the person who is doing it, even though I know they aren't doing anything wrong.

I also don't like other eating noises *people smacking gum, slurping, anything to do with the mouth, really. I also hate when my wife bites her nails. It sends me over the edge.

dvdnvwls
02-19-13, 02:58 AM
This kind of thing bothers me a bit sometimes - but not as much as it does you.

starry
02-19-13, 03:56 AM
Does anyone else have a SEVERE aversion to crunching noises (people eating crunchy foods)? I can't handle it at ALL. I have to wear headphones or leave the room. It makes me ANGRY – I start to get angry at the person who is doing it, even though I know they aren't doing anything wrong.

I also don't like other eating noises –*people smacking gum, slurping, anything to do with the mouth, really. I also hate when my wife bites her nails. It sends me over the edge.

I can definitely relate to the agitation it causes. I can see how the crunching sounds would be extremely irritating.

Even though I'm not bothered by the crunching sounds at all, I am however sensitive to smacking noises when chewing food and the talking when someone has a mouth full off food.

I am incredibly "allergic" to bad table manners in general.

Shoveling large portions of food into the mouth, before one has swallowed the portion they were chewing on.

Eating too fast. Especially slouched over their plate, with their head and mouth as close to the plate of food as possible, making it easier to eat large amounts of food in a short amount of time. Not looking up, not socializing, not taking notice of anything around them- outside of their plate of food. Then after they're done eating- just like a 4 year old- they get bored while others are still eating and want to leave the table.

Chewing with an open mouth.

Spitting little bits of food all over the table (and our food) if they're talking while they still have food in their mouth.

Making slurping sounds when drinking tea or coffee, because it's too hot (in some weird attempt to cool it down I suppose by sucking it in loudly- like a vacuum).

Not using the proper glasses, silverware or any plate when eating and drinking.
For example:
- making a sandwich and eating it off the cutting board, because they're too lazy to get a plate or think they don't need a plate. Then it's crumbs all over the place and just looks stupid.
- after making a smoothie or juice in the blender, drinking straight out of that, instead of pouring the contents in a glass.
- making a bowl of salad in a giant bowl and eating out of that, rather than putting it on a smaller bowl. (Btw I'm talking about an ugly, giant, plastic thing....it would be OK if it was a larger, salad bowl out of glass that isn't too large.)
- touching the food with ones finger (!!!!) in an attempt to push the food on their fork (isn't that what the knife in their silverware is for?? WTF? The fingers have no business inside the food!). It's so embarrassing to go on a date and we're at an elegant restaurant and my date is pushing his food on his fork with his finger!! I immediately want to gouge my own eyes out so I don't have to watch that. It's TORTURE.
- using the finger as a toothpick after eating
- using a toothpick after eating (please do that in private Sir. I don't need to watch you picking your teeth. Excuse yourself and head to the loo please and pick all you want in there)
-picking teeth with a toothpick AND making a "sucking air in sound" with your tongue and lips (sooooo gross!)
-and of course burping
-coughing without closing ones' mouth and turning away from the food (at the table)
-making singing noises or humming while eating (!!!!) ("WTF?")
-not using a napkin while eating
-not using the napkin on their plate while eating and having sauce or grease shine on their lips
-leaning over to kiss me while still chewing on their food and never use their napkin to wipe off their lips, during eating. ("let's say goodbye forever please!")
-digging into your plate without permission ("if you want a taste of my food, please say so and I will put some on the side on your plate, but keep your fork or fingers out of my plate please!")

I'm sure there's a whole lot of more but for now this is all I can think of.

I have no idea why I get so disgusted and annoyed by all this stuff, so much more intensely than other people.

Some of it comes from by upbringing at home. Table manners were very important in my family life. As well as proper etiquette. And some of these quirks I've adopted since my parents and other family members complained about it often when went out to eat- when I was growing up.

But I really think the obsession is due to sensual oversensitivity....is it an ADD thing?

stef
02-19-13, 04:35 AM
it really doesn't bother me, unless someone has truly awful table manners.

I had a colleague who was very sensitive to this, she must have asked this other girl nicely to please stop scraping the sides of her yogurt container 3 times, but she just ignored her and made my colleague completely hysterical (literally screaming ), everyone came out to see what was going on (we were in an "open space" at the end of the hall). She also could not stand to be touched, and was easily offended. Everyone thought she was awful but actually she was nice and funny.

She didn't have ADD though, maybe they aren't necessarily ADD symptoms?

dvdnvwls
02-19-13, 06:44 AM
it really doesn't bother me, unless someone has truly awful table manners.

I had a colleague who was very sensitive to this, she must have asked this other girl nicely to please stop scraping the sides of her yogurt container 3 times, but she just ignored her and made my colleague completely hysterical (literally screaming ), everyone came out to see what was going on (we were in an "open space" at the end of the hall). She also could not stand to be touched, and was easily offended. Everyone thought she was awful but actually she was nice and funny.

She didn't have ADD though, maybe they aren't necessarily ADD symptoms?
People with ADHD are often over-sensitive to things, but other people could easily be over-sensitive for lots of different reasons.

dasikins
02-19-13, 11:29 AM
Apples-I hate when my fiance eats apples! It's like he becomes Godzilla and the apple is the tiny city he is destroying. I have to leave the room before I freak out.

Britainton
02-19-13, 12:50 PM
Other people eating cereal. I have no idea why, it just drives me up a wall. Also, other associated mouth slurping and smacking noises.

If it's an ADD-thing, why? What causes it?

deadmau5
02-19-13, 12:53 PM
I cant stand it either, the worst for me is when people chew with their mouth open. The sound of that sends me into anger mode!!!

starry
02-19-13, 10:29 PM
Other people eating cereal. I have no idea why, it just drives me up a wall. Also, other associated mouth slurping and smacking noises.

If it's an ADD-thing, why? What causes it?

I don't know if it'll gross me out when others eat it, but I always nearly threw up and felt like I was paralyzed in terror when my ex room mate would eat cereal and talk to me.
He always stood in the middle of the living room when he ate it, talking to me if I'm on the couch and maybe it's the way his mouth and teeth are shaped and move and chew that would freak me out when he ate cereal.

He has really thin lips and tiny teeth and the milk just drops off his lips that he wipes off with the empty spoon and his mouth looks like that of some weird monster (in my eyes). On top of that I'm grossed out by adults drinking animals' milk too. Especially grown men.

Watching him eat cereal is like a bad acid trip, every time. It's that tiny monster mouth with the tiny monster teeth and the crazy look in his eyes.

He is pretty crazy btw and mean. So maybe knowing that added to the trauma.
Sadly he had some kind of a crush on me and tried really hard to be nice to me, but the mean and crazy side would always come out because everything he said was always passive-aggressive.

Btw when I was younger, my mom always said she was grossed out by milk drinking adults too and would be fixated on their mouths too.
So I can't decide if I picked it up from her or if it's an ADD thing.

dasikins
02-19-13, 10:55 PM
Cereal. Crunching. Makes. Me. Crazy.

STOP CRUNCHING!! a;ljd6lsjdlkfj7540!!! WORST CRUNCH OFFENSIVE EVER

Spacemaster
02-19-13, 11:18 PM
All sounds that have to do with eating send me into a lunatic rage. I will go bat-poop crazy. Hallelujah for meds! (much better now)

I used to yell at my stepdad at the dinner table, for eating with his mouth open.

I also hate most other people/animal generated noises. I hate finger tapping, gum smacking, whispering, whistling, knuckle cracking, humming, you name it.

Mr Digital 01
02-19-13, 11:33 PM
I can definitely relate to the agitation it causes. I can see how the crunching sounds
would be extremely irritating..... List continues for 3 miles...... I'm sure there's a whole lot of more but for now this is all I can think of.

But I really think the obsession is due to sensual over-sensitivity....is it an ADD thing?

You have thought of enough starry!... remind me not to share a meal with you, I'd be too scared.
Gross table manners are, well, just gross. As I'm a bone/joint cracker, I'm sure I'm guilty of annoying other people.

I do think it's an adhd thing and is due to over-sensitivity to stimulus .
I have a barking mad dog next to my office and it annoys & distracts the hell out of me.
I also hate screaming/crying kids because the distress noises and sharp sounds hurts my ears.

rhnorth
02-20-13, 10:49 AM
Wow, it is great to know that I'm not alone in this. I think I would probably even drive starry nuts – I am a grown man who LOVES milk. :)

But yeah, crunching sends me over the edge. Cereal, chips, apples, you name it.

Dasikins – my wife's favorite food is chips. Not only do I have to leave the room, but it almost annoys the @#$ out of me that she loves them so much. EVERY TIME we go to the store, she has to buy some. I don't know why, but it just drives me nuts.

In addition to the crunching and food noises, and the nail-biting, our downstairs neighbor is a 20 year old kid and he loves to BLARE music until 2 or 3 in the morning. It drives me nuts and I've asked him several times (nicely) to please keep the volume down, but it persists. I am almost 30 years old... I don't want to live in a college dorm. Ugh. Drives me nuts.

I guess I find that when stuff like this bothers me, it REALLY bothers me. And it just simmers and simmers until I feel like I might explode.

There is a condition called "misophonia" that has to do with auditory anxiety, and I have thought maybe I have it, but I am now wondering if this is just an ADD thing. Who knows.

aylaah
02-20-13, 10:43 PM
Mouth noises in general. Sometimes I'm fine but once I've heard it, I can't unhear it, and it just seems to get louder and louder, and I get more and more irritable.

ana futura
02-20-13, 11:06 PM
It's called misophonia- aversion to soft sounds.

Yes, I have it.

I can't stand eating/ mouth noises, ever since I was a child. Medication it better, but when when my meds wear off and I rebound it is worse than ever- which of course is usually in the evening, around dinner time :(

ana futura
02-20-13, 11:09 PM
There is a condition called "misophonia" that has to do with auditory anxiety, and I have thought maybe I have it, but I am now wondering if this is just an ADD thing. Who knows.

It often occurs with ADHD. It's still called misophonia, even though it's essentially a symptom of a larger disorder.

So, yes, you do have misophonia, and yes, it's also an ADHD thing.

rhnorth
02-22-13, 10:24 AM
This is pretty much how it makes me feel sometimes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlWHLx9PTE4

dasikins
02-22-13, 10:55 AM
rhnorth! THIS CRACKS ME UP bahahahahah! Good stuff

Britainton
02-22-13, 10:59 AM
Also, the sound of approaching deadlines -- anyone else with me on this one? It's a terrible, frightful, horrifying sound. I mean, it ain't cereal, but still...

rhnorth
02-22-13, 02:39 PM
Deadlines might be worse than crunching... that's a toss up.

JanelleC
03-04-13, 01:33 PM
yesterday someone was clipping their fingernails during the sermon in church....

clip clip clip clip clip :eek:

I couldn't believe it. Do they not know how loud that is? It went on for probably 5 minutes. :mad:

salleh
03-04-13, 02:45 PM
you guys are cracking me up ...not because I ddon't agree with every single word.....cause I do...but still read the whole thread at once ......

and bad table manners .....I kicked out the guy who was to be the father of my son, for 2 reasons.....smelly feet, and thee worst table manners i have seen since grade schhol, no...the worst table manners ever ! .....

I knew that there was no way I could ever bring him home to my family......they would have fallen out of their chairs in shock ......

.....I am a huge Miss Manners fan, ( have about 6 or 7 of her books) ...and while I fall short on some of them ...on the whole ....us hippies did society no favors by rejecting manners as fake ....

....yes they are ...lots of them ....but they make the difference in society running smoothly, and getting along with strangers in public places and on the road a lot less stressful.....

.......think upon how many rude people you run into in the course of your day ......wouldn't it be so much nicer if people were considerate of others ?......just good old manners would make living so much easier and nicer .....

.....which is why I like living in the country and small towns better than living in the city ......city people seem to shed their manners easily, if they ever learned any to begin with .....

....country and small town people use more consideration in their dealings with strangers, if only for the reason that they are less pressured by hoards of humans ....

....I am not saying that city people aren't as good as small town folk .....I am saying it's a lot easier to be considerate in uncrowded situations ......

that being saaid ...there's no excuse for bad table manners......and if you weren't taught as a child, by adulthood, any slightly aware person should have picked up on the fact that other people don't talk with food in their mouth ....or chew with their mouth wide open ....

...and don't you hate it when someone's dear child chews a bit and then opens their mouth wide at you .....YYECCHHHHHHHHHH....

wills11
03-18-13, 11:31 PM
OMG YYEEESS!!!!

As a lot of people mentioned, there are a lot of general annoyances and pet peeves we all have (especially regarding manners and food). But like you, my aversion to crunching is on a whole other world level.

Here's a difference between the annoyance/pet peeve and the aversion: I hate when people smack/crunch eating apples. I CANNOT HANDLE when people crunch chips or ice.

As some have mentioned, ADD/ADHD leads to hypersensitivity to stimuli (I've read things about fabrics and textile textures too). I have a couple other things going on, including anxiety disorder, which could also exacerbate or be the root of this.

My family and friends know how much these things bother me, yet they seem to continually forget. I do have to leave the room or just avoid things like Mexican restaurants (those damn tortilla chips!). Meditation and relaxation techniques only scratch the surface of helping, but it's better than nothing. I have noticed I seem to be getting better at times. When I'm under increased stress it definitely gets worse.

I've done some things I'm not proud of. My brother is an ice-chrunching *****. Cannot get enough. I always ask him to stop and he'll spit it out sometimes. I can honestly hear it from upstairs it's that grating to my ears. Once, he kept it up as a joke. I was about to blast into orbit. The next thing I know I threw a bag of frozen vegetables at him and gave him a black eye. Another time my dad couldn't stop crunching those cursed kettle cooked potato chips with his mouth open. My dinner plate was already thrown into the wall and shattered on the floor before I realized what I had done.

Oh. And the ever-so-slight-barely-noticible-by-anyone-who-is-not-like-us buzzing/humming of lights..... Oh man. I had to leave lectures in college or meetings before because once I notice it, it is impossible to focus on anything else. Eventually I lose the war and just leave moments before I know my head is going to combust.

Asylum
03-19-13, 10:47 AM
The sound of someone eating is the one I have the most problem with.

Did anyone else get physically uncomfortable just watching the video?

Hawutwut
03-19-13, 12:32 PM
The worst, for me, is bubblegum, when someone blows a bubble then that ... that... noise of sucking it back in.

It's like sustained rapid fire irritation bullets going right into my spine. Makes me crazy just thinking about it.

I cannot be in hearing distance when my wife chews gum. Fortunately my hearing is crap so I don't have to go far.

Interestingly she also Hates chewing noises and I have caused her much distress in that regard.

Mostly chewing doesn't bug me too much unless it's open mouth crunching

However... I know I've had too much coffee when chewing, clinking, etc., drives me nuts. There was this one time, as an experiment, that friends and I downed a boat ton of Jolt Cola... I was in the cafeteria, the lights seemed too bright, and all the noise, eating, talking, clanking... oh. my. GAWD. RAGE IN MY BRAIN! :D

Asylum
04-02-13, 06:57 AM
I hate it when people scrape thier forks or spoons over an empty plate after finishing something over and over again. I've taken people's utensils away, grabbed thier hands, etc, just to stop them. Not strangers though - not sure that would go down well.

wills11
04-04-13, 09:15 PM
The worst, for me, is bubblegum, when someone blows a bubble then that ... that... noise of sucking it back in.

Have you seen the movie/show Chicago? I laughed when I read this. If you've seen it you'll know why :lol:

Piper30
04-16-13, 07:14 AM
Watching that video was hard. I got all twitchy! I hate the sound of chewing, and ice in a glass with no liquid, and gulping, and HOW DO YOU CHEW ICE CREAM??? omg

AmieLynn
10-13-13, 03:28 PM
There is a name for this. Look up Misophonia. I have it too and it SUCKS.

Asylum
10-13-13, 08:52 PM
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c2/92/27/c29227357647a3c47f366b784648d449.jpg

HOW TO EAT SAFELY WITH AN ADDER!
Pick a busy, noisy spot, preferably under a flight path.