View Full Version : Eggs

dasikins
02-19-13, 11:46 AM
I am not sure if this should be moved to nutrition, but it's not generally about nutrition, but more about medicine adsorption.

I have read a ton of information through these forums regarding when to eat, what types of food to eat, ect when taking medications. The consensus is: avoid highly acidic foods and vitamins until later.

The vast majority also state eating a high protein breakfast helps in adsorption (among other benefits).

Since I have such an up and down experience with my meds I thought I would log what I ate and when. While doing some research I noticed:

EGGS are rather acidic. Yet they are mentioned several times throughout the years of addforums.com as being a number one breakfast choice. The alkaline diets all indicate eggs, cheese, ect as being almost as acidic as OJ.

For me, nutrition is more important over medicine adsorption, but I found many comments paradoxical to the claims of acidic foods and medication adsorption.

Just a side thought

sarahsweets
02-19-13, 12:09 PM
Herw is whaxb works for me...ptotein shake mized witn watrer unto a psuedo 0izza. later small fruit then a decent 9 portien rich-meal wihoiut refinced carbs, some grains brown , bulgr oatmeak etc, Lots of water too

dasikins
02-19-13, 12:14 PM
Herw is whaxb works for me...ptotein shake mized witn watrer unto a psuedo 0izza. later small fruit then a decent 9 portien rich-meal wihoiut refinced carbs, some grains brown , bulgr oatmeak etc, Lots of water too

But don't alot of people say eggs work too? I just found that interesting is all after researching it.

Your so healthy..mmmm I love my protein shakes especially with PEANUT BUTTER.

Phoenix Ash
02-19-13, 01:46 PM
I think a lot of confusion arises from the difference between foods that are acidic prior to digestion (like fruit juices) but may or may not create acidic pH levels in the body.

Some foods start out as acidic but actually foster more alkaline conditions in the body after digestion. (See 'alkaline ash'.)

There's a lot more I can say about this but I have to run out the door at the moment. I'll try to update later.

dasikins
02-19-13, 01:52 PM
I think a lot of confusion arises from the difference between foods that are acidic prior to digestion (like fruit juices) but may or may not create acidic pH levels in the body.

Some foods start out as acidic but actually foster more alkaline conditions in the body after digestion. (See 'alkaline ash'.)

There's a lot more I can say about this but I have to run out the door at the moment. I'll try to update later.

Hey no worries, that's what I figured. Unfortunately there is not a lot of information on alkaline diets regarding the digestion process. That lead to my confusion. However, you would want the environment to be alkaline before and after digestion for the benefits of the diets.

No worries I can read up on it some more.

Phoenix Ash
02-19-13, 03:21 PM
The vast majority also state eating a high protein breakfast helps in adsorption (among other benefits).

A protein breakfast is recommended everywhere because it contains the building blocks for our brain functioning, not due to absorption considerations.

While it's true that most meats, eggs & dairy are quite acidifying in the body, it's also true that the body needs protein to make the neurotransmitters needed for psych meds to be effective.

So we have a quandary -- how does one:
A) ensure sufficient protein intake to support the neurotransmitter factory, but...
B) without creating so much acidic ash that it negates improvements in med response?

Well, you can either:
1) Still eat eggs/meats/dairy for breakfast, but aim for the healthiest protein you can and evaluate your response,
2) Try to neutralize their acidifying effects with alkalizing foods,
3) Go vegetarian.

I'm not a vegetarian, so most of the time I take option 1 or 2. Honestly, most of the time I don't worry too much about the acidfying effects of my protein intake, because my own personal trial and error has shown me that I function better on, say, omelettes than I do on cereal. Even though both are acidifying.

(I do avoid juice, fruit and most carbs until later in the day, though.)

However, if you are interested in alkalizing and reducing your meat/dairy/egg intake, there are a lot of options. I think most people are unaware of just how much protein can be found outside the usual suspects. Plant proteins are great. Spinach, for example, is wonderfully alkalizing and is also a good source of protein. Nuts, seeds, legumes are also good sources. If you enjoy milk, consider switching to a nut milk like almond milk -- it's much healthier than cow's milk and as long as there's no added sugar, it's alkalizing. Not to mention tasty.

One cautionary note -- soy is obviously a great source of protein, but I have read a few reports that in some cases it may neutralize the therapeutic effects of Vyvanse. I don't know why this would be, nor do I know if soy could interfere with other stimulant meds. More research is needed. Something to keep in mind.

Ultimately, I think it is a question of balance. Everyone is different, so you have to figure out what works for you. For me, I find that the benefits of things like eggs for breakfast outweigh their acidifying nature. But that's my experience. Others may have a different experience.

dasikins
02-19-13, 07:59 PM
Oh wow way more info then I was expecting! I gave u rep points for the added insight!!

Drewbacca
02-20-13, 09:01 AM
The important thing is to have an awareness of how acidic foods will affect the absorption of a given medication... it's all about awareness, not avoidance. Such awareness helps build an understanding regarding the inconsistency that some of us face when taking the same dosage from day to day.

I tend to eat eggs in the morning because it's better than eating nothing (my typical breakfast). I try to avoid OJ because I can easily drink a gallon of it if I'm not paying attention. Since becoming aware of the acid interaction as well as more knowledgeable of the glycemic index... I've cut my OJ consumption 75%. The fact that I would still eat an egg isn't a contradiction as it's all relative to my diet in the past.

Fortunately, eggs don't seem to increase my acid reflux in the same way that other foods do. I'm more worried about my sugar levels and my gerd than I am by my relative absorption of a medication.

Taking a step backwards and getting my dosage under control (reducing, not increasing it) has been most beneficial in my treatment. For most people attempting to "maximize" their dose by carefully manipulating what they eat (such as taking an antacid to increase absorption) is in my opinion... all in their head. You'll find that a lot of forum members believe that they need a higher dose or will convince themselves of developing intolerance. Personally, I think this mostly psychological. Now, obviously, I can't speak for every member making such a claim and I wouldn't want to. I'm not interested in telling anyone that their experience is wrong or that I know better than they do what works... but I did want to put that out there for your consideration.

dasikins
02-20-13, 10:18 AM
Taking a step backwards and getting my dosage under control (reducing, not increasing it) has been most beneficial in my treatment. For most people attempting to "maximize" their dose by carefully manipulating what they eat (such as taking an antacid to increase absorption) is in my opinion... all in their head. You'll find that a lot of forum members believe that they need a higher dose or will convince themselves of developing intolerance. Personally, I think this mostly psychological. Now, obviously, I can't speak for every member making such a claim and I wouldn't want to. I'm not interested in telling anyone that their experience is wrong or that I know better than they do what works... but I did want to put that out there for your consideration.

Well said! I just thought it was interesting contradiction to what I was reading. I guess some people receive much more positive effects from it. If the medicine gets stronger I just get more side effects. However, I do have to be careful how it effects my fatigue.

Yet, I do read more about this in the Adderall section. That seems to be a popular question there vs Vyvanse which is what I am on.

Off to go eat my spinach, red pepper eggs! Feel oh so healthy already lol

Drewbacca
02-20-13, 10:30 PM
The whole acidity thing is really blown out of proportion. The fact that Vyvanse avoids this problem is coincidental. Vyvanse was created, first and foremost, as a means of making money for Shire once the Adderall patent expired. The second purpose of Vyvanse is that it is "not abusable" since it can't be crushed up and taken in such a way that the user is getting 4x the expected dose from normal digestion.

There is very little discussion on the acid topic from Shire itself, they just made a note in the official paperwork because it can affect the drugs consistency.

The effect of food on the bioavailability of ADDERALLŽ has not been studied.

Drug Interactions:
Acidifying agents
-Gastrointestinal acidifying agents (guanethidine, reserpine, glutamic acid HCl, ascorbic acid, fruit juices, etc.)
lower absorption of amphetamines.

Alkalinizing agents
-Gastrointestinal alkalinizing agents (sodium bicarbonate, etc.) increase absorption of amphetamines. Coadministration of ADDERALLŽ and gastrointestinal alkalizing agents, such as antacids, should be avoided.
Urinary alkalinizing agents (acetazolamide, some thiazides) increase the concentration of the non-ionized
species of the amphetamine molecule, thereby decreasing urinary excretion. Both groups of agents increase
blood levels and therefore potentiate the actions of amphetamines.

With normal urine pHs approximately half of an administered dose of amphetamine is recoverable in
urine as derivatives of alpha-hydroxy-amphetamine and approximately another 30%-40% of the dose
is recoverable in urine as amphetamine itself. Since amphetamine has a pKa of 9.9, urinary recovery of
amphetamine is highly dependent on pH and urine flow rates. Alkaline urine pHs result in less
ionization and reduced renal elimination, and acidic pHs and high flow rates result in increased renal
elimination with clearances greater than glomerular filtration rates, indicating the involvement of
active secretion. Urinary recovery of amphetamine has been reported to range from 1% to 75%,
depending on urinary pH, with the remaining fraction of the dose hepatically metabolized.

dasikins
02-21-13, 12:07 AM
The whole acidity thing is really blown out of proportion. The fact that Vyvanse avoids this problem is coincidental. Vyvanse was created, first and foremost, as a means of making money for Shire once the Adderall patent expired. The second purpose of Vyvanse is that it is "not abusable" since it can't be crushed up and taken in such a way that the user is getting 4x the expected dose from normal digestion.

There is very little discussion on the acid topic from Shire itself, they just made a note in the official paperwork because it can affect the drugs consistency.

Wait, are the quotes you incorporated about Vyvanse or Adderall? They state Adderall, but they preceded your comment about Shire. Just a little confused.

SweetCode
02-21-13, 12:45 AM
Just guessing but maybe soy and eggs affects vyvanse due to the high lysine content? since the half life of the lisdexamphetamine is so short (around 2 hours I don't remember exactly) having too much lysine rich food in your stomach can make it hard for the body to break all the lysine in the vyvanse in time....

Drewbacca
02-21-13, 02:46 AM
Wait, are the quotes you incorporated about Vyvanse or Adderall? They state Adderall, but they preceded your comment about Shire. Just a little confused.

It's from the adderall paperwork... if my memory serves me, the paperwork for vyvanse doesn't state anything of interest to this discussion. Shire created both adderall and vyvanse. Search for: adderall (or vyvanse) + pharmacokinetics to pull up the pdfs with all the fun info, if you like.

dasikins
02-21-13, 12:38 PM
It's from the adderall paperwork... if my memory serves me, the paperwork for vyvanse doesn't state anything of interest to this discussion. Shire created both adderall and vyvanse. Search for: adderall (or vyvanse) + pharmacokinetics to pull up the pdfs with all the fun info, if you like.

Oh ok. I am honestly, like I mentioned, not too worried. It's more important for me to eat well. I was just curious, because there is a lot of conflicting information on the internet (as you all well know.)

My psy. doc is great, but not as helpful with this kind of stuff. She thinks I read into it to much. Maybe I do, but I am really tired of feeling like poo. I need to give it a shove so I don't spend the next 10 years struggling.

Thanks for everyone's help and insight!