View Full Version : Anyone have Synesthesia with their ADHD? Did your meds affect it

Tendtodigress
02-20-13, 11:02 PM
What better place to ask than here? ADD/ADHD seem to go hand in hand with Synesthesia so I figure there has to be more of you out there :) I have time space syesthesia - I can see time....when say this to other people it makes me sound like a schizophrenic (not that there is anything wrong with that)...it's just too far fetched for some people to grasp.

I've always wondered if my synesthesia causes it. I feel like a change sorter - all the coins temporarily go in the wrong slot. However, the coins eventually make their way to their respective slots...it just takes me longer than the average person and my experience during the sorting process is interesting. It is also frustrating at times.

QUESTION TWO:
Do you notice if your meds affected it?
A few years ago I went on Lexapro(bad reaction) and then I tried Nortriptyline. I noticed some significant memory loss and I noticed my Letters no longer had colors :(

peasnrice
03-09-13, 02:15 AM
I tend to see words/letters as colors. Sometimes I'll get the names of things mixed up because they have the same color combination.

When I was a kid we learned the alphabet in colors, and sometimes I wonder if because I'm such a visual learner if my brain just latched onto that and never let go. I'm not the most adaptable person ;p =D

eats_mice
03-26-13, 12:35 PM
Wow... synesthesia must be quite an experience... You can see time?! That's sooo crazy... how much do you know about the 4th and 5th dimensions?

lalapin
06-02-13, 08:48 PM
The thread is a bit old... but I discovered today that my weirdness is called SYNESTHESIA (Spelled in the colors I actually associate with the letters)!!!! I have the letter/number -> color and the spatial sequence forms!! I decided to survey my ADHD and non-ADHD friends to see if there's a correlation with the 2 conditions, so far 3 ADHDs said they don't have any synesthesia, 1 suspected ADHD said they have it, and 1 non-ADHD said he had it. Research suggests 4% of the population has some form of synesthesia, and that about 25% of synesthetes have ADHD... Here is a drawing of how I see letters and one of my "year map" thats spacially sequenced and also colored!!! hope others can relate too I'm hyperfocusing on this right now.... :lol:

I want to add that my ADHD meds don't affect my synesthesia at all

AmieLynn
10-13-13, 08:50 PM
Yup. I have Synethesia.. I see letters/numbers in color...and they also each have their own personality and gender. Also, I can see sound in my minds eye. Pretty cool. Seems to be pretty prelevant with ADHDers.

dvdnvwls
10-14-13, 01:46 AM
I have heard only very very few mentions of it on this board; I wouldn't go so far as saying it's prevalent. Do you think it happens more with ADHDers than with everyone else though?

ronmexico
10-14-13, 02:01 AM
I have trouble reading an analog clock. But I can't remember when I started struggling with this. I mean, I remember having some difficulty my whole life. It's just now, in the last few years, I have to point at the analog clock and really think. I feel really stupid.

Is that the same?

dvdnvwls
10-14-13, 02:10 AM
I have trouble reading an analog clock. But I can't remember when I started struggling with this. I mean, I remember having some difficulty my whole life. It's just now, in the last few years, I have to point at the analog clock and really think. I feel really stupid.

Is that the same?
No, completely different.. Synesthesia is when one of your senses activates another one. Examples would be if you hear music and it makes you see colors also, or if you read a book and every word has a smell to it.

ronmexico
10-14-13, 02:30 AM
No, completely different.. Synesthesia is when one of your senses activates another one. Examples would be if you hear music and it makes you see colors also, or if you read a book and every word has a smell to it.

Oh. I went and referenced the term. I am hypersensitive when people touch others; although I am not sure if I feel the sensation on my body after observing the person touching the other person, or if I am just taking data. And when people even get remotely close to me without touching me, I for sure feel that. I feel people's auras. Auras are bubbles.

For sure I don't respond well when people put their hands on me. When someone I have no history with is close to me I get uncomfortable. And I hate crowds. Too many bubbles.

So, maybe.

dvdnvwls
10-14-13, 02:43 AM
Oh. I went and referenced the term. I am hypersensitive when people touch others; although I am not sure if I feel the sensation on my body after observing the person touching the other person, or if I am just taking data. And when people even get remotely close to me without touching me, I for sure feel that. I feel people's auras. Auras are bubbles.

For sure I don't respond well when people put their hands on me. When someone I have no history with is close to me I get uncomfortable. And I hate crowds. Too many bubbles.

So, maybe.
Nope. Hypersensitivity and hating crowds is not like synesthesia at all. Synesthesia is when you get one kind of input (for example a touch) and you get two or more kinds of output (you feel the touch but you also at the same time hear a certain sound or smell a certain smell or see something). Being able to feel someone's aura is not related to synesthesia. If you could feel their aura but also hear or smell it at the same time, that would count.

ronmexico
10-14-13, 02:48 AM
Nope. Hypersensitivity and hating crowds is not like synesthesia at all. Synesthesia is when you get one kind of input (for example a touch) and you get two or more kinds of output (you feel the touch but you also at the same time hear a certain sound or smell a certain smell or see something). Being able to feel someone's aura is not related to synesthesia. If you could feel their aura but also hear or smell it at the same time, that would count.

Ah, that would be trippy. And, dare I say, reason to classify someone as schizophrenic. But then again, I've said some pretty outlandish things, perceived some pretty outlandish things that might have classified me as schizophrenic, too.

Wait. What about hearing music in flowing water? Radio transmissions in river streams?

dvdnvwls
10-14-13, 02:50 AM
And, dare I say, reason to classify someone as schizophrenic.
No, actually you dare not say. :) It doesn't have to do with schizophrenia.

ronmexico
10-14-13, 02:57 AM
No, actually you dare not say. :) It doesn't have to do with schizophrenia.

Well, "I" say in the sense that it's what "they" would say, and that is "me" walking the line, the socially-mediated line. Just trying to not get institutionalized.

Like, I had a friend who heard music in flowing water. She claimed that, in certain places, she heard radio transmissions in flowing streams. But she could never make out any specific song, just that it was music and a radio personality blabbing on and on in between songs.

ladedarah
10-19-13, 01:28 AM
I have the same, I see time as in time of the day and days of the week, months of the year, which year it is in.. But also most things related to numbers - like a persons age.

I've been on Ritalin la for a wee while now. I've not noticed any change to be honest.

I had no idea this was related to AHDH.

Purika
01-28-14, 02:01 PM

Here is an article that explains why seeing people's aura is synesthesia. (http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-05-scientific-evidence-healers-aura-people.html)

Blackstar
02-08-14, 01:20 AM
... I have time space syesthesia - I can see time....(

what do you mean by 'see time'?

Is it like tracers of things that pass by?

stef
02-08-14, 03:52 AM
i have taste synetstesia....
not sure how it's related to ADHD, a few people here have posted about this, though!
im not on any meds.

MWalker
02-09-14, 02:18 AM
In my mind, words, written and spoken are defined by chords or notes. It has nothing to do with the actual sound of the word. I usually can't tell you what a word means but I can tell you what it sounds like. I have tried many different medications for my ADD symptoms, none have affected this particular perception.

datajunkie
02-09-14, 01:15 PM
I have some degree of synesthesia but am not certain it is innate or learned.

I first noticed this years ago when taking karate. In practicing moves or using a bag for hits and kicks, I often close my eyes or like a dark room--removes some distractions perhaps? I also am an amateur photographer and in studying color, came across a 3D color wheel with lighter colors at the top of the column going down to black at the bottom.

Coding my own body parts with different colors and brightness depending where they are relative to my center gave me more information quickly when imagining where I had to move. Like watching the afterimage of waving a flashlight or the motion studies with joints, bones and such marked to follow the geometry of motion.

I also wrote boolean logic statements for stock/commodity training programs that would produce charts color coded for specific conditions. Usually on a black background for easier viewing.

Between the 2, I think my bodymind learned to imagine the colors, position and motion. Like moving string designs. Not just visual but also auditory. Music does the same thing. I 'see' the music much like some visualizations on a computer. This gives me the geometry of a song or rhythm. I'm an intermediate level hand drummer--I play the irish bodhran which has tonal changes as well as rhythm. By changing my left hand position on the back side of the skin and the pressure, there is a 2+ octave range. I 'see' both hands and what they do as these moving designs and also the changes in the music.

So if a melody line goes up in pitch, the colors usually go towards yellow/red and more towards blue when lower. Brighter for increased volume. When I listen long enough to predict where the colors will be, I can where I want to add in. I can choose to add in the same tone as another instrument and make that brighter or add another color in harmony. I can 'see/imagine' if adding a note in an empty spot for counterpoint rhythm would be better. If a specific rhythm needs to be held, the string design of the geometry of my hands and the drumstick shows. Skipping beats or adding extras keeps it varied.

I don't know if I've always had this or it was latent and I noticed more when starting karate or if I somehow taught myself to do this. At any rate, it's useful and I'm going to keep it.

I'm just starting Ritalin and didn't notice it changing much in practice last night but was paying more attention to how my timing improved with the Ritalin.

dpaul002
02-27-14, 04:15 PM
what do you mean by 'see time'?

Is it like tracers of things that pass by?

Hmm I have very poor time perception, but if someone asks me, I can ALWAYS estimate the time within about 10 minutes. Really weird, and it only seems to be improving. Too bad I'm really good at wasting time.

Also, my sense of smell is better than almost anyone I know! It really is annoying. Dexedrine appears to calm it down however.

phantasm
02-27-14, 05:10 PM
And when people even get remotely close to me without touching me, I for sure feel that. I feel people's auras. Auras are bubbles.

For sure I don't respond well when people put their hands on me. When someone I have no history with is close to me I get uncomfortable.

I have the same "aura bubbles" I actually feel it, even though I'm not being touched. It's almost like the feeling you get when holding two magnets together at the opposing ends, they push one another away. But mine is sensed from farther away, then just someone standing too close to me. I have High Empathy, able to actually feel what others are feeling. which can be very difficult for me at times, since I am a very emotional person. I also have taste Synesthesia. I can see flavors, and smell and or taste them, such as when I'm watching a food show on tv, or someone is explaining the taste profile.

But to see time, or letters in colors is totally fascinating. I don't think I can understand that conceptually speaking.

OhLookABunny
06-03-14, 12:33 AM
My main synesthesia is color-grapheme. There's another thing I do, I don't know if it's synesthesia, it may just be that I'm super-visual - I have to "project" auditory information onto a blank "screen" in my mind to comprehend it. I was diagnosed with auditory processing disorder along with ADD so I guess that makes sense.

The color-grapheme synesthesia can either help me memorize something like a name, or cause confusion with another name of the same "color." :o It can lead to embarrassment.

I have co-existing anxiety and am super-sensitive to stimulants, plus have a family history of glaucoma, so I don't take a specific medication for ADD, just an antidepressant for OCD/depression and an anti-anxiety med. I don't think any medications have influenced my synesthesia ever as it's been with me since childhood and I've never noticed any changes in it.

stef
06-03-14, 03:14 AM
I have the same "aura bubbles" I actually feel it, even though I'm not being touched. It's almost like the feeling you get when holding two magnets together at the opposing ends, they push one another away. But mine is sensed from farther away, then just someone standing too close to me. I have High Empathy, able to actually feel what others are feeling. which can be very difficult for me at times, since I am a very emotional person. I also have taste Synesthesia. I can see flavors, and smell and or taste them, such as when I'm watching a food show on tv, or someone is explaining the taste profile.

But to see time, or letters in colors is totally fascinating. I don't think I can understand that conceptually speaking.

Oh I missed this earlier!
I have taste synesthasia but in the sense that, words and some sounds have flavors.
Also the "aura bubble" thing although maybe not quite as strong. - Isn't that just exhausting some days???