View Full Version : Neuroprosthetics!

Amtram
02-21-13, 09:51 AM
Oooh, shiny! It's an article about work that's going on with prosthetics in the brain to treat seizures, dementia, blindness, paralysis, and deafness.

How Neuroscience Will Fight Five Age-Old Afflictions (http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-02/how-neuroscience-will-fight-five-age-old-afflictions)

This actually ties in with other implant technologies currently being tested for other conditions (including depression) because each one that works teaches us more about what we can to to improve brain function with technology.

Would this be considered more invasive, or less invasive than medications? It's certainly more specifically targeted, but we're a long way from knowing whether it might have negative side effects. Having brain surgery is no piece of cake, I can tell you that, but it might be a better alternative to medications in the end.

Lunacie
02-21-13, 10:33 AM
The first comment posted was the hope that this would become available to treat ADHD!
:yes:

Drewbacca
02-21-13, 01:53 PM
By brain is broken enough as is... and the warranty expired! Keep them away from my brain!

salleh
02-21-13, 02:23 PM
I think it's fabulous .......ADHD is a pain in the neck, but the things they are targeting are such severe problems ....I would love to have those folks get real life changing help ....

......I have an old friend,,,haven't seen her in decades, she was a lively friendly girl .....I talked to her brother a few years ago .....she is suffering from early onset dementia .....she is married to a doctor .....so she probably has gotten the most cutting edge ( no pun intended) ....treatment available .....but it started when she was in her mid to late 40s ......

...It breaks my heart .....dementia strips us of our selves .....and then as it progresses, the memory loss of how to even live, puts us in severe danger ....wandering off, walking into traffic sort of thing .....not to mention the incredible pain it causes those who love them .....

.....Something that could halt or reverse this nightmare would be truely a boon to mankind .....I would be thrilled .....

...Blindness, deafness, paralized....these are problems I would happily take a back seat to as far as research, and new treatments go .....

...kudos to the researchers.....this is great news, thanks Amtram, you've made my day

Amtram
02-21-13, 04:18 PM
I just got back from my psychiatrist - he has a colleague who's working on this stuff. He said not to get too excited about it. I told him I wasn't excited about it happening - I'm realistic about timeframes when it comes to scientific research - but I was excited that it was being explored in the first place. He gave me a journal article to read, and I will peruse it later when I can think again.

Conman
02-21-13, 05:56 PM
Yay, more toys to play with!