View Full Version : Wellbutrin Up and Down

FogNoggin
02-21-13, 01:23 PM
11 days in, 4 days of 300mg.

Yesterday I felt kind of lethargic and yawnish.
Today I feel wide awake and somewhat energetic.

Both days I have gotten adequate sleep.

Over 11 days it's been that way, up and downs.
I am hoping the good days increase and some more energetic aspects come my way.
Will it be like that, will the mental clearness and alertness days increase in time?
Some people don't seem to escape the wellbutrin lethargy if WB does that to them.
From what I gather it's like stims in that ADD people will be drowsy on the stuff, at least at first.

Why does it cause drowsiness in some people? Is it the increase in dopamine and epinephrine, or is it the mechanism of the drug blocking re-uptake and how it does it that can cause drowsiness?

I guess I am just looking for encouragement. I believe I will respond well to wellbutrin. I will give it a couple months.
The good news is that unlike Strattera, I have no side effects.

I can drink a 0.5 pot of strong coffee with no issue, I assume it has a lot to do with WB XL and it releasing very slowly.

One more thing, people report XL makes them more drowsy than the quicker release WB. My guess is that in time they would build up to the same levels anyway and act similarly.

How was your first two weeks on wellbutrin or properly known as Bupropion.
'The Boop'

Scooby Dude
02-21-13, 02:13 PM

Will it be like that, will the mental clearness and alertness days increase in time?
Some people don't seem to escape the wellbutrin lethargy if WB does that to them.
From what I gather it's like stims in that ADD people will be drowsy on the stuff, at least at first.

Why does it cause drowsiness in some people? Is it the increase in dopamine and epinephrine, or is it the mechanism of the drug blocking re-uptake and how it does it that can cause drowsiness?

I guess I am just looking for encouragement. I believe I will respond well to wellbutrin. I will give it a couple months.

I can drink a 0.5 pot of strong coffee with no issue, I assume it has a lot to do with WB XL and it releasing very slowly.

One more thing, people report XL makes them more drowsy than the quicker release WB. My guess is that in time they would build up to the same levels anyway and act similarly.

'The Boop'

I've been researching Wellbutrin recently, as it's something I want to discuss with my doc. I have read first hand accounts of people responding to it as you have- even moods but uneven energy levels- who have had success by supplementing it with a smallish stim dose to even out the energy level.

Now, that's second hand anecdotal, but if you're planning on giving it a couple of months, if after one month of Wellbutrin alone your energy levels are still uneven, I would report that to your doc and ask your doc whether a small stim would even it out and make it work. The worst he says is no.

FogNoggin
02-21-13, 02:27 PM
Actually, if I still don't feel complete on this, but there are aspects that I like, it actually is my intention to inquire about combining a low dose of a stim. I don't really want to start high as I wish to not gain crazy tolerance to the stims requiring ever increasing doses.

PS, would it be cheaper to buy a stronger strength stim and bust it in two than to buy a lower dose?

Example:
I bought 14, 40mg pills of atomoxitine (generic strattera) for about $41.00
I bought 14, 60mg pills for only a few dollars more.

MWalker
02-22-13, 11:14 PM
I am taking 300mg of Wellbutrin XL per day, but I take half in the morning and half in the evening. I found it more up and downish taking once a day. It was fairly sedating for a while, but that seems to have gone away now. I'm about two months in with it. I figure if it's altering my brain chemistry it might as well do it around the clock, rather than for half the day. You may want to consider splitting up your dose.

I should add that I do take the Wellbutrin along with methylphenidate. I find it smooths out the methylphenidate and makes it last a bit longer. For me they seem to go well together. Good luck, and stick with it for a while.

sarahsweets
02-23-13, 06:04 AM
when I was taking wellbutrin it was way to stimulating for me, ironic because stimulants work for me.

dasikins
02-23-13, 01:31 PM

'The Boop'

Hang in there. It's actually BETTER it is not working for your right away. It gives you a better chance of it working long term. Mine usually start right away and then die after two months.

My psychiatrist does research at Wash U for this and there is no answer why they poop out. Yet, there is more evidence they will be more beneficial in the long run. Not a lot, but some studies. Keep at it, they usually take a month to show any help.

Also, one thing to think about, ensure your doctor is well versed in medications. Does he/she do research, work mostly with medications, ect. My friend is on Wellburtin too and now goes to my doc. She ended up switching the Wellbutrin to TWO 150 mg twice a day and not using the generic brands. This turned her Wellbutrin around and has been on it for a couple of years.

Also something else to think about! Helps for those of us with treatment resistant mental issues (depression and fatigue for me.)

FogNoggin
02-28-13, 09:26 PM
Got another question of which I think I may have heard the answer from somewhere.

Does it seem far less effective with a few days of lack of sleep?
Seems better with a good nights sleep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I spent a few days helping my brother paint his new house, I lacked some sleep, but for some reason I felt more motivated to do work and felt less bored, almost like I wasn't thinking about what I would rather be doing and focused more on the work at hand.

But here at home I am slacking off and my mess piles are growing.
My sex drive is almost nil despite wellbutrins reputation as a libido enhancer, or is that because I am more focused elsewhere? And does this increased libido sneak up on the wellbutrin user?

Sometimes I wonder if it is doing anything at all because I don't feel it all the time, but some days I do, a slight pressure in my head.

It's been less than three weeks, maybe I'm a hard head that needs more time, I hope so because I have no side effects at all from this drug. How aware should I be to notice changes, or do I suddenly realise I have changed?

Anyway I have hope as many peoples stories I have read on the internet indicate that wellbutrin starts to really shine for ADD/ADHD at about 4-6 weeks or even a couple months.

To add: I have been in sort of a depressive rut lately on and off (not major depression) and sometimes that affects my libido a lot, and because I am only 3 weeks in my funk is stronger than the cure. Or can wellbutrin cause loss of libido depressive dis-interest until my body and brain accustom to it?
An example, I sit in front of my computer not feeling like going to that website or doing that and I am not visiting the naked internet ladies very often.
I think the word for it is 'meh'
Another word is 'anhedonia'

FogNoggin
03-03-13, 10:58 AM
It is the sleep issue I am noticing.
When I get a good nights sleep wellbutrin seems to work much better, even my libido came back.

"Here Libido, here boy"
"Woof!"

Even though it seems to still work when tired, it is not as effective.

I also notice that when I look back, to pre-wellbutrin, and even pre-strattera, and compare with now, there are differences.

I think the changes are so gradual that unless you take notice, you may or may not notice.

Lizylou84
03-04-13, 03:32 PM
It took me a long time to adjust to Wellbutrin, but I'm really glad I stuck with it. It has been a good drug for me. I had had a lot of anxiety issues in the first few weeks which subsided.

I started with 200 mg of SR, then went to 300 mg SR, then changed to 200 mg XL. Now I'm currently on 300 mg XL. I didn't adjust very well to the SR (I could feel highs and lows), which is why I switched to XL. I had to readjust to the XL in the lower and higher dose, which was tough.

I almost gave up on this med at my current dose because the side effects were so bad, but after a month pretty much all had gone away. I've been stable on that dose for a few months now and feel great.

FogNoggin
03-05-13, 05:03 PM
No anxiety, no side effects except mild turd hardening.

And one other thing, I realise that I have been comparing wellbutrin to the time just before I first started it, I was on strattera for a month, now when I look back pre-strattera when I took no medication.

BIG difference.

Much less couch lock, when I have a chore to complete, I am not so, wishing I was doing something else.
I don't spend all day waiting to wake up to accomplish stuff.

Some things happen so gradually, like a slo-mo slap to the face. So when I go back in time, I'm better now than then.
Ironically, I still get bouts of doubt, those depressive thoughts of doom, but they are short lived.

I sticky tiled a floor today! And I got right on it without moaning on.

FogNoggin
03-14-13, 02:43 PM
I've discovered that if you don't get enough sleep wellbutrin doesn't seem to do much good. (compared to no wellbutrin?)
But with a good nights sleep it feels like a stimulant, feels like I drank a pot of coffee, but without the jitters, my face feels tight, I feel generally in a great mood and feeling good helps to motivate me.
Although I am still not exactly Cap'n Organized or Mr. Projectgiterdun, I am doing a lot more little mundane chores without the belly aching and procrastination.
6 weeks in and I love wellbutrin, but I still wonder what a small ritalin supplement can do, sort of like frosting on a moist Betty Crocker brownie.

It's strange, but I actually can't wait to get back to work, for me, that's an alien concept. (As if it has nothing to do with exhausting completely any Unemployment benefits in 3 weeks, therefore I am not going to the Life Skilz program I was going to attend, can't live on disability benefits.)

I'll be up to my elbows cleaning toilets with a satisfied grin! :D