View Full Version : Smokers...how do you exercise?

MellyFishButt
02-24-13, 01:00 PM
I was 130 pre-adderall in early Jan and I am now 120. My pdoc weighs me at my appts and said if I go into the teens that I will be taken off stims. Since the appetite part of stims isn't rebounding quick enough for our schedule I have decided to be proactive and start working out to build muscle in hopes that it 1) increases weight and 2) increases me appetite. The problem is that I love running since its hard for me to get distracted if my entire body is forced to be a part of the process. But stims have also made it damn near impossible to quit smoking so running is impossible.

Help!!

salleh
02-24-13, 01:45 PM
Melly ......e cigs .....

last April I couldn't go up one flight of stairs without gasping for breath at the top ....

now I run up and down stairs all day long .....and that's after 40 some odd years of smoking reg cigs .....

.....and remember I quit 42 weeks ago ....and at a $42 carton of cigs a week ,...I haven't spent $1,764 on cigs ...and I haven't smoked 8,400 reg cigs .....

...I still get to "smoke" but it's "vape" .....and I have spent at least $600 on trying out new types and such ....but I still get my nicotine and get to fiddle with the e cig....

no tars and carcenogens from actually smoking a fired up reg cig, and no additives ....

no smelly hair, clothes, car house....nothing ....just nice cherry smell, or cotton candy smell....

it is more hassle for sure .....but no cigs at all and saved more than $1,000 .....

worth a hassle I'd say

MellyFishButt
02-24-13, 01:57 PM
Honey those actually make my lungs feel worse, can you believe it? I think it's just the moisture but I notice a distinct lowered lung function after. My husband uses them and I have tried, truly, but they just hurt. Maybe I have just done more damage to my lungs and its more pronounced with ecigs?

rjcordova
02-25-13, 03:40 AM
Honey those actually make my lungs feel worse, can you believe it?

I believe you... I tried some once and they felt bad on my lungs and throat... And I haven't been smoking for that long... Also, they wouldn't give me my nicotine fix for some reason.

Fuzzy12
02-25-13, 08:34 AM
I don't do much regular exercise. Sometimes I do a bit of exercise in the morning, usually immediately after my first smoke of the day. :doh:

When I know that I'm going to do some strenuous or cardiovascular activity, like a hike or climb, then I don't smoke just prior to hiking and I don't smoke during the hike. Usually, the surroundings are so beautiful that I'm excited enough to not need to smoke anyway. :)

upworkhometvbed
02-25-13, 08:55 AM
I've been taking wellbutrin for a few months now, and I just don't even think about cigs any more except when I need to take a break from what I'm doing. It's pretty crazy, I never thought it would just happen to me like that. As for exercise... I'll let you know if/when I start trying that out :lol:

Fuzzy12
02-25-13, 08:57 AM
I've been taking wellbutrin for a few months now, and I just don't even think about cigs any more except when I need to take a break from what I'm doing. It's pretty crazy, I never thought it would just happen to me like that. As for exercise... I'll let you know if/when I start trying that out :lol:

That's really interesting. Here, in the UK, Wellbutrin is exclusively prescribed as a smoking cessation aid (rather than an anti depressant). I'm surprised to hear it works so well. Definitely something to keep in mind when I plan to quit smoking. Who knows..it might even help with my ADHD - like symptoms. :cool:

MellyFishButt
02-25-13, 10:56 AM
My pdoc won't give me Wellbutrin right now because he is worried about anxiety increasing. Meh.

upworkhometvbed
02-25-13, 11:13 AM
From what I've read (I read up on neuroscience more often than is healthy) Wellbutrin is preferred over SSRI's for people with ADHD. For many of us, we don't lack serotonin, but dopamine and norepinephrine. I know my serotonin levels are fine, personally.

Wellbutrin is a DNRI (dopamine-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor) that slows down the rate at which these neurotransmitters are destroyed in the synapses, so they can hang out there and do their thing longer. Wellbutrin does raise the risk of seizures, though. I think because it causes GABA levels to drop?
They also prescribe it here in the states for smoking cessation, calling it Zyban.

Strattera has a similar action, but only works on norepinephrine.
Hey, speaking of...

Anybody have experience taking Strattera?
And does anybody know if it's safe to combine with stimulant medication?

It would be nice to get these neurotransmitter/receptor levels as close to a "normal" baseline so that the tolerance breaks aren't absolutely brutal.

dasikins
02-25-13, 07:37 PM
I was 130 pre-adderall in early Jan and I am now 120. My pdoc weighs me at my appts and said if I go into the teens that I will be taken off stims. Since the appetite part of stims isn't rebounding quick enough for our schedule I have decided to be proactive and start working out to build muscle in hopes that it 1) increases weight and 2) increases me appetite. The problem is that I love running since its hard for me to get distracted if my entire body is forced to be a part of the process. But stims have also made it damn near impossible to quit smoking so running is impossible.

Help!!

Oh Melly your a smoker? Noooo :eek:
Just kidding-I smoked starting from 15 to 30ish. I have been smoke free for one year!

I use to run and exercise my heart out while being a smoker. The one thing that keeps me from not smoking again is exercising. It sucks exercising and being a smoker. You just can't breath! Be careful and watch your blood pressure. With all three going on you should keep an eye on it.

I would walk, not run, and lift weights. Anything with high cardio will just be bad, although I use to do it. You just can't really improve much. I would always wait an hour from my last smoke to go. IDK why I thought that would help more, but that's what I did.

And why do I want to smoke 10x more on stimulants? It's UNBELIEVABLE. When I have tried a puff it never tastes good though, but yet my mind craves them.

Exercise is good for you though so glad to see you are starting. Just start by walking. Walking will keep you lean. I do P90x which really works you, but also puts on muscle. It sounds like you want to be more lean?

dasikins
02-25-13, 07:39 PM
That's really interesting. Here, in the UK, Wellbutrin is exclusively prescribed as a smoking cessation aid (rather than an anti depressant). I'm surprised to hear it works so well. Definitely something to keep in mind when I plan to quit smoking. Who knows..it might even help with my ADHD - like symptoms. :cool:

Yah, you should try it Fuzzy! I was a smoker for 16 years and it helped. I wasn't trying actually quit, but I remember not smoking as much. It has also helped out a lot of my friends.

tudorose
02-25-13, 09:49 PM
If you want to build muscle then do karate. It's a lot of stop - start type activity and not a lot of running.

MellyFishButt
02-25-13, 10:01 PM
My mother and law and I were just joking about taking up martial arts so we could kick some coworker ***! Haha Hmm, maybe I should consider it.

Wouldn't I be stuck with 5 year olds though? A 5 year old would kick my ***. Sad.

dasikins
02-25-13, 11:32 PM
My mother and law and I were just joking about taking up martial arts so we could kick some coworker ***! Haha Hmm, maybe I should consider it.

Wouldn't I be stuck with 5 year olds though? A 5 year old would kick my ***. Sad.

PFFF bahahahaha-you know there are adults that do it. We have some in P90x and I really stink at it. I have no balance and fall over when I kick. It's pretty fun though!

I happen to have ~ 10 boxes of patches and nic. gum if you want to try and quit. They are sitting in my closet. I could ship them to you or anyone else that wants them.

ANYONE want FREE nic. patches and gum? It's helpful! I need to get rid of them before they go bad.

dasikins
02-25-13, 11:34 PM
Melly ......e cigs .....

OH yah I forgot about those! Aren't they great? They were helpful in quitting smoking for sure.

BobbyDrake
03-06-13, 09:47 AM
Honestly... I smoke, and I have no problem doing my workouts(when I'm not too lazy to go to the gym). Then again, I do't do much cardio, maybe 15 minutes on a recumbent bike or something to get warmed up. Basically, I do a lot of weight lifiting. I do a program called Starting Strength. I'm too lazy to do an acutal write-up about it, but you can find more info about it if you google Black Iron Beast. Also, proper diet is very important for building muscle. You need a lot of protein, good fats and some, but not a lot of carbs.

Also, please don't think that this will make you look like a female bodybuilder, because it won't. It takes years for ANYONE, male or female, to build a body like that, and requires extreme lifestyle devotion. Also, it often takes enhancement drugs like steroids or HGH to get a body like that. Besides, who doesn't like a person with a little muscle on them as opposed to a stick?