View Full Version : ARGH!! I need to get off ADDF.

MellyFishButt
02-24-13, 03:27 PM
I took my meds today so that I could work from home. I have 24 marketing budgets to update and I need to get it done and email it to my boss but I CANT STOP ADDF.

Can someone shame me or find a way for me to reward myself to get off this damn thing? I obviously can't seem to internally motivate. :faint:

pooka
02-24-13, 03:46 PM
If you have a Mac, you can download a free app called SelfControl to block certain websites for a set period of time. Helped me control my tumblr addiction and focus on writing an essay.

MellyFishButt
02-24-13, 03:47 PM
On a PC.....off to google!! (and thanks!!)

pooka
02-24-13, 03:48 PM
There are some other good suggestions on this thread: http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138765

MellyFishButt
02-24-13, 03:56 PM
There are some other good suggestions on this thread: http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138765

Thanks Pooka! :grouphug:

DistractedGoat
02-24-13, 03:57 PM
Add this to your hosts file:

127.0.0.1 www.addforums.com

:)

MellyFishButt
02-24-13, 03:58 PM
Kumquat says what? You know if you don't give me instructions, I will just start hyperfocusing on this damn laptop and suddenly find myself trying to fix something else, right? DO YOU EVEN KNOW ME AT ALL? (I kid)

Seriously though....how do I do that? And is there a way to time limit it or will I need to go back in and change it when/IF I actually get my work done?

DistractedGoat
02-24-13, 04:10 PM
Kumquat say "Arrrrr I are a fruit!"

Sadly, the hosts file solution is effective for blocking your ability to use the site, but not really in the way that you're looking for..

But hey, its the thought that counts, right? :)

MellyFishButt
02-24-13, 04:12 PM
Totes!!

I need everybody else to stop posting. As soon as I see that there is nothing else to comment on, I will get bored and go away......maybe this is just addiction and not procrastination.

TagEHeuer
02-24-13, 05:17 PM
If you have a Mac, you can download a free app called SelfControl to block certain websites for a set period of time. Helped me control my tumblr addiction and focus on writing an essay.

Thank you so much.

I'm becoming addicted to ADDF! :umm1:

ana futura
02-24-13, 06:11 PM
Preaching to the choir, have you seen my post count?! :rolleyes:

I have a bonafide internet addiction, ADDF is my poison of choice, but if it wasn't ADDF it would be something else. At least I can't spend any money here.

Internet addiction and ADHD go hand in hand, it truly is an addiction. New post = Dopamine! There's actually quite a bit of research on ADHD internet addiction out there. Many of us who managed to avoid drugs got sucked in by the screen. In my youth, before the advent of the internet, I would spend hours on my nintendo. It's the same thing.

Have you tried an MPH med like focalin or ritalin? I find that amp meds make my existing internet addiction worse, and once I get sucked in, I can't pry myself away.

This isn't true with MPH or D-MPH, I think my behavior improves over my norm.

daveddd
02-24-13, 06:13 PM
you mine as well hang out here

you stink at cleaning!:D

ana futura
02-24-13, 06:19 PM
I estimate my (undiagnosed but horribly ADHD) Dad spent maybe 5-6 hours playing tetris a day.

MellyFishButt
02-24-13, 06:23 PM
you mine as well hang out here

you stink at cleaning!:D

SO TRUE. I would prefer to clean over doing this ****. I have to use three different reporting systems, plug in numbers, reformat and subtract Jan 2012 and recalculate. I want to die.

PLTH. I think I have given up for the day. I DONT WANNNNNNAAAAAA.

daveddd
02-24-13, 06:24 PM
SO TRUE. I would prefer to clean over doing this ****. I have to use three different reporting systems, plug in numbers, reformat and subtract Jan 2012 and recalculate. I want to die.

PLTH. I think I have given up for the day. I DONT WANNNNNNAAAAAA.

i dont know what you said:o

Fuzzy12
02-24-13, 06:41 PM
Totes!!

I need everybody else to stop posting. As soon as I see that there is nothing else to comment on, I will get bored and go away......maybe this is just addiction and not procrastination.

if no one posts i just frantically keep hitting the new posts autumn while getting more and more restless. I need a constant supply of fresh posts :eek: i have the ramme prob though Mel. What's helped in the past is tosend a pm to admini to ask then to suspend my account for a fixed period of time. The last time though i got so desperate and made another account to log in. :doh:

ana futura
02-24-13, 06:46 PM
I often have my partner change my password, and not give it to me until after I get all my work done.

if no one posts i just frantically keep hitting the new posts autumn while getting more and more restless. I need a constant supply of fresh posts :eek: i have the ramme prob though Mel. What's helped in the past is tosend a pm to admini to ask then to suspend my account for a fixed period of time. The last time though i got so desperate and made another account to log in. :doh:
Fuzzy I wish you could come see my doctor :grouphug: !

He would understand you!