View Full Version : disorder of the personality?

daveddd
02-24-13, 06:27 PM
can someone explain why, if BPD is a 'personality disorder' there are specific neurological deficits present ?

im really interested to know
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22686220

ana futura
02-24-13, 06:43 PM
I can't answer your question, but I assume it's considered a personality disorder because a lot of people with BPD don't really respond to drugs, only to therapy.

If chemicals don't fix something, I suppose it's assumed to not be neurological?

Didn't the founder of DBT "overcome" her BPD?

I think there is more than one BPD- the BPD that NTs get DXed with, and the BPD ADHDers get DXed with, but that idea is based only on my interactions with my seemingly NT BPD ex.

She was functional in every way but emotionally. She had no problems with school or work at all, except for when her emotional response to things clouded her judgement.

There didn't seem to be anything else going on at all other than BPD.

daveddd
02-24-13, 06:47 PM
it just seems to be the same neurological deficits, that impulsive ADHDc ers with emotional regulation issues have

ana futura
02-24-13, 06:53 PM
It does, but I dunno, my ex was not ADHD at all. She payed too much attention to other people, constantly looking for clues in what people were saying.

It's like she didn't understand people either, but she went the other way with it.

Have you ever met a person with a BPD dx who is not ADHD? They just seem "different".

Unlike when I meet someone with ADHD, whatever co-morbids they have I can always see myself in them.

Like I said though, I think there are maybe multiple things getting dx-ed as BPD.

I think when BPD gets dx-ed in a person with ADHD, they really just have severe ADHD-C.

Maybe if ADHD meds fix it or not is the issue? All of my emotional issues stop on meds (excluding rebounds, which makes them worse)

But that research you posted is interesting.

ana futura
02-24-13, 06:59 PM
Dave, can you paraphrase that article for me in simpler terms?

What exactly is it saying about language usage?

daveddd
02-24-13, 07:01 PM
methylphenidate drugs fixed all mine for awhile

but i think i ruined my brain cells a bit,(with drugs)

now it takes stims, and high doses of ssris

daveddd
02-24-13, 07:01 PM
in easy terms

read my posts

for the language use questions..

ana futura
02-24-13, 07:42 PM
in easy terms

read my posts

for the language use questions..

Thanks, that's what I thought it was saying. Very interesting.

Is speech easier for you? Meaning, is your language usage not as noticable when you are talking to someone? Or do you talk similarly to how your write?

I notice in myself that I use words "better" on medication- but I am still pretty medication naive, I purposely don't take much.

But most of my language issues are "input" issues.

daveddd
02-25-13, 01:14 AM
if you were just talking to me as a stranger, you wouldnt notice anything

but i need yes or no questions

im monosyllabic

no flow

daveddd
02-25-13, 02:15 AM
with a certain amount of alcohol, that is pretty much impossible to maintain

i start talkin regular, using body language, and i seem good at it (saw it on video)

which is weird, because i read a study awhile back where acamprosate (alcohol abuse drug) inadvertently corrected expressive language deficits, among the patients

even crazier, last time i was seriously manic, i posted here

paragraphs, correct grammer, proper sentence structure

now wether it made any sense or not:rolleyes:

peripatetic
03-09-13, 01:38 AM
i skimmed the abstract and couldn't discern if the deficits were present as a result of life experience or the sort of thing present regardless...but i saw this part:

demonstrate activation of key differentiating neural networks characterizing a traumatic memory system in BPD patients

that makes me inclinced to thinkit's the former, which would indicate pathways might've developed in response to experience and that would be in line with developing a personality disorder from trauma (?)

i can see why it'd be an odd thing, though, insofar as what's described strikes me as attributable to other personality disorders and i wonder why it's noted in conjunctino with borderline...like, for example, schizoid seems like it could produce similar effects. which, yes, that's my point! (glad i found way back) which is this: there being some neurological component doesn't seem as odd to me, perhaps, because there's (advanced by some) this idea of a "schizophrenia spectrum" which would include schizoid and schizotypal personality disorders. given the genetic/heritable component to other things on that "spectrum"... i guess it's not completely surprising to me that they'veidentified a neurological delay/disfunction in other personality disorders, if that makes sense.

daveddd
03-09-13, 01:42 AM
it makes perfect sense

i posted this only after reading quite a bit of evidence that BPD (my sister is) having neurological underpinnings

at least a "subtype of it"