View Full Version : The Workout, Health and Nutrition Thread

deamduff
02-28-13, 01:01 AM
I am going to get in shape. But I was blessed with a fast metabolism as a kid and was very active. It has been only in the last few years living this so called "real life" that I have turned into someone unhealthy and in a shape I do not want to be in. I have no clue how to get healthy. I do not know what foods to eat, good exercises and good habits to work into my day to day.

So I am making this thread to gather and share info for anyone else looking to get in shape or just hit a physical goal. Anyone with input please share. This thread is to help encourage me to achieve my goal, and I hope others can set their goals and as a community support each other to reach them. I will update with more info tomorrow.

SquarePeg
02-28-13, 03:17 AM
Physical activity is great for mind and body. What type is more a question of what you enjoy and therefore are more likely to continue doing.

Do you like team sports, do you need a partner to keep you motivated, do you like working out in a class, perhaps you are a loner and happy to take up jogging or cycling on your own. How much time can you devote? The wii fit has great 20 minute workouts that really do work.

Sensible eating rather than fad dieting is best I think. Cut down fats, sugars, processed packet and canned foods. Eat plenty of fruit and veggies, beans and pulses, whole unprocessed food. Avoid sliced meats and bacon type stuff.

Oily fish is good so is chicken.

GeordieDave
02-28-13, 05:01 AM
Well.. I will try and make this as short and straight forward as possible. When I 'can be bothered' I do work out and eat healthy and have some knowledge with sport and healthy nutrition.

Starting off with nutrition. 75% of it is YOU putting the effort, motivation and determination to not eat unhealthy foods. staying away from the obvious. Take aways, junk snacks, sweets, chocolates, fizzy drinks etc... You know what I mean.

Eating healthy is probably the hardest part of gettign fit. It takes a lot of effort and determination. You're wanting to stick to the obvious. Healthy foods. salads, pasta, proteins and healthy carbs like whole grains, beans, fruits, and vegetables and also one main key ingrediant is fish oil. A lot of people under estimate fish oil. It's one of the best things for your mind and body.

The internet is packed with delicious recipes for healthy eating. Again eating healthy is easier said than done. It's obvious what you need to eat and what you don;t want to eat... It's sticking to it which is the hardest part.

For your work out... It all depends what you want to do. If it's just gettign healthier in general to clense your mind and bosy to feel better then you could go swimming, cycling, running, do certain classes at your local gym etc... Swimming is an amazing exercise formyour entire body and cardio.

If you're wanting to become lean and gain muscle then a routine is very important. I personally can't give you one as it really depends on your body. If you don't have much experience making yourself a routine then it's best to go to a gym and get a personal trainer which will or should do everything. A gym routine but also a nutrition plan.

Another great way to keep yourself 'entertained' when tryign to keep fit is to do everything with a friend. A lot of people like goign solo.. but also a lot of people get bored and don't have the motivation to keeping fit. If you train with a friend it will help you 'go the extra mile'.

hope this helps :)

Fuzzy12
03-01-13, 08:56 AM
great plan!! I agree with Square. Try to find something that you enjoy to make it easier to stick to it. Working out and taking care of my health makes me feel so much better but I usually lack the energy and motivation to even start. Keep us updated. Best of luck!! :)