View Full Version : Question about SSRI, Stablon and serotonin

noradd
02-28-13, 09:26 PM
I read in a book from Stahl that if there are too little neurotransmitters present in the first place then taking a SSRI won't do much cause there simply isn't enough serotonine present. This makes sense.

I also read on a website of a psychiatrist that SSRI can cause burnout after a while. Does this mean that taking SSRI can basically lead to even less serotonine being in the system and then cause to a total crash after a while? :eek:

And if this is the case, then what about stablon? Stablon doesn't inhibit uptake of serotonine but it encourages it. Now wouldn't this cause an even bigger reduction of serotonine in the brain?
What if you take stablon and then it poops out and you're left with even less serotonine than before?

Then wouldn't it make sense to take any precursors so that the brain has enough material to produce NTs? But taking precursors like 5HTP isn't allowed when you take SSRI because then you get the serotonine syndrome.

I don't even know if you could take amino acid formulas which contain all aminos when you're on a SSRI.

Fuzzy12
03-05-13, 08:28 AM
I don't really understand this. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter. I think, the most common theory about depression is that there is a problem with neurotransmitter reuptake, i.e. too much of Serotonin (or norepinephrine or both) is pumped back rather than being available.

SSRIs aren't the same as serotonin as far as I know. They are selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors, so they reduce the re-uptake of serotonin.

I've never heard of stablon.

I'm not sure if messing with your neurotransmitters might lead the brain to produce less of it. I haven't found anything like that in the literature but I haven't really looked for it either.

noradd
03-06-13, 08:34 PM
Stalon (Tianeptin) isn't available in the US, only in France and other parts of Europe. And it is a SSRE, a serotonine uptake enhancer. From what I know they can't really explain why it works because it goes against serotonine theories.