View Full Version : I thought not eating caused you to GAIN weight...

Hipster2010
03-02-13, 05:05 PM
I am confused. I have been prescribed 36 mg of Concerta to take once a day in the mornings. The first week was fine, but the second week and to present day, I have no appetite. I have to force myself to eat. I have noticed that a lot of ppl on ADHD medications say the same thing. I have also noticed that ppl are claiming to lose a pound a day, 10lbs in 1 week etc... This confuses me. How do ppl lose all this weight just because they are eating less? Shouldn't not eating cause your body to go into starvation mode and therefore cause weight gain?:scratch:

avjgirsijdhtjhs
03-02-13, 05:26 PM
If there is any truth to the body conserving energy during fasting (rather than being a complete myth), then obviously it's been extremely overestimated by a lot of people.

You are warm blooded, so the vast majority of your energy expenditure is used for warmth and energy. These things take calories. It's not like your body turns or greatly leans towards being cold blooded and you go into a near-lifeless energy conservation state when fasting.

Hipster2010
03-02-13, 07:48 PM
Makes sense.

XzavierDavies
05-24-13, 03:30 AM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:RelyOnVML/> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--> When we are consuming too less calories our metabolism goes down, with low metabolic rates our body cannot burn more calories. To improve metabolism, we need to consume pretty nutrition food with all sufficient amounts of protein, fats and carbs.

avjgirsijdhtjhs
05-24-13, 10:38 AM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:RelyOnVML/> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--> When we are consuming too less calories our metabolism goes down, with low metabolic rates our body cannot burn more calories. To improve metabolism, we need to consume pretty nutrition food with all sufficient amounts of protein, fats and carbs.

Is this true, or is this BS gospel that has been preached so much that it becomes "truth" (note the quotation marks) when it isn't actually truth at all? Can you back up your claim?

Can't post pics in this subforum, so click here (http://oi43.tinypic.com/53477o.jpg) for a pic.

link 1 from the pic (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292)

Spacemaster
05-24-13, 03:38 PM
I'm not bothering to dig up sources, but I'm pretty sure that eating too few calories really does slow down your metabolism. Yes you'll eventually lose weight, but it isn't healthy. You are better off eating the proper nutrients, and cutting back on calories, especially the "bad" ones. Exercising will boost your metabolism.

dvdnvwls
05-24-13, 05:25 PM
One reason that people might sometimes gain weight when prescribed a stimulant is if they skip eating during the day, and then over-eat at night when the drug wears off and they suddenly feel very hungry.

daveddd
05-24-13, 05:45 PM
im not sure about all this

but the reason adderall is the most popular drug in hollywood is because of the weight loss

the weight loss is from appetite suppression

emily848
05-24-13, 07:01 PM
I think how it works is you're body adjusts to fewer calories so that if you go back to a "normal" level of eating quickly then you'll gain weight where before it was fine. But it takes at least a couple of days for your body to adjust, so if you eat hardly anything one day and a normal amount the next day, you'll lose weight, but if you eat hardly anything for a week and then a normal amount for a week you may gain weight.

I've also heard you will lose more weight by alternating between low calorie and normal calorie days then you would if you were low calorie every day because alternating prevents your body from adjusting to the lower calorie intake.

But, you WILL NOT gain weight from eating low calories every day, you just may not lose as quickly as you would if you alternated between low and high calorie days but still averaged out to the same number of calories.

Also, if you SUDDENLY switch from a low calorie to a normal calorie diet you may gain weight until your body adjusts again.

SquarePeg
05-25-13, 04:14 AM
yo yo dieting i.e starving for long periods and then eating a lot can cause the body to try and conserve energy when itīs getting less food but in a normal person eating less calories will normally result in a weight loss.

I have been on concerta for six months and I think my appetite is more or less back to normal but I am still losing weight.

XzavierDavies
06-01-13, 06:53 AM
It's a truth, I believe metabolism plays a vital role weight issues, lower metabolic rate leads to unwanted weight gain. You may google it regarding metabolism role in weight issues.

Fraser_0762
06-01-13, 07:15 AM
When you don't eat, your body turns to muscle and fat tissue for energy.

Not eating at all, will cause you to lose weight fairly rapidly. It will also cause you to become ill rapidly as well.

dvdnvwls
06-01-13, 07:16 AM
If you eat less, that MAY lower your metabolic rate.

If you lower your metabolic rate, that MAY lead to weight gain.

There are two maybe's in a row there. It's quite possible for either or both of those to turn out not to be true for some individuals.

Spacemaster
06-01-13, 11:22 AM
I do the night-time eating thing.

If it's a real issue, you may want to talk to your doctor or nutrionist, rather than consulting a bunch of internet experts, who may or may not know what they're talking about.

Flory
06-01-13, 11:42 AM
I'm telling you as an ex anorexic that not eating causes weight loss (let's be realistic here) ok you may have a decrease in metabolism but it's most in extreme cases of starvation (like ed) when you've lost muscle mass (more muscle =better metabolism) and absolutely once your body has used it's glucose stores (thinks that's what it's called) it goes on to produce it's own energy by dipping into fat stores when your underweight your body then switches to using muscle and this is when you get sick lots of anorexics pop there clogs because there tiny little hearts (yes it's muscle) was basically shrivelled away to nothing from atarvation amongst a whole heap of other failings like electrolyte imbalances clogged arteries (yep clogged arteries because believe it or not you need fat to push fat hdl pushes LDL which lines arteries and veins etc) so whilst doing a little bit of calorie restriction may help you lose a little weight the reality is this and there's no denying It , to lose one pound of body fat you need to make a deficit of 3500 calories forget this low gi, diet mumBo jumbo and stick with calorie controlled diets (eating healthily mind) ... Suffice it to say starving myself lost me half my body weight in 8 months :| just that my kidneys started to fail I didn't have a period for 2 years etc etc just be smart about it dudes

Benton125
06-12-13, 01:23 PM
Thanks for sharing.

fracturedstory
06-14-13, 10:04 AM
Starvation mode is a real thing. But not on stimulants. Stims burn more energy so I guess you lose weight quicker while having no desire to eat too.

Starvation mode can only last so long. When you diet without stims your body will store the weight and gradually eat away at fat and muscle cells.

When my meds wore off and my appetite came back my didn't I ever gorge myself. I still ended up losing weight though or staying the same. I hate the appetite suppression though. I really enjoy eating and hope I can do it without over eating.

Not eating regularly or regulating your blood sugar may result in hypoglycemia and believe me you don't want that. Almost fainting because you have an attack and you're still too busy hyper focusing. Not good.

Canadian Mess
06-14-13, 11:13 AM
From a nutritional aspect (I'm on my way to being a dietitian and am currently in a Bachelor of Sciences in Applied Human Nutrition studies), basically what happens when you first don't eat enough, your body has certain lines of defense to make you eat more by sending the hormone ghrelin and afew feedback mechanisms to make you feel more hungry. Certain of these feedback mechanisms can cause you to retain certain biomolecules, convert them, change your metabolism etc.

When that doesn't work, your body tries to get as much nutrients from what you do eat as possible. Also, the metabolism slows down and your body starts eating away at the muscles in your body, and can even eventually shut down less important organs, it converts carbs/protein to alcohol ketones, etc.... you can imagine what that does to your body.

Basically, if you do not eat enough, at first yes your metabolism will slow down and go into starvation mode and your body will gain weight from water retention and the slow metabolism processes.

After a certain amount of drop in your calorie needs though, you will start losing weight because your body is eating itself.

And please do not ask me to show sources and go into more detail, because it is really complicated and I would have to look for 4 years worth of textbooks and journal studies... and I don't want to :lol:

This is just what happens in a NT... Add Adderall and other stimulant ADHD drugs into the mix...

Canadian Mess
06-14-13, 11:21 AM
If there is any truth to the body conserving energy during fasting (rather than being a complete myth), then obviously it's been extremely overestimated by a lot of people.

And yes, I can. I just prefer not to, because you would need to understand several topics related to metabolism, anatomy, nutrition, biomolecules and hormones.... it's fairly complicated because we still do not understand all of the factors that are in play.

Joker_Girl
06-17-13, 10:26 PM
I think metabolism is really weird. I do not understand it at all.

I have little appetite most days and don't eat much. Today I've had prolly 500-700 calories. This is not unusual. Some days I eat more, but I never eat as much as I should, or rarely.

I am prolly forty pounds overweight, if not more. I'm not morbidly obese or anything, I mean, I can see my feet lol...no really....I don't have to order fat clothes or have trouble fitting in seats. I am not fat enough that it is really a huge (pardon the pun) issue. But there is no way anyone can look at my butt, and not see that it is too big. It is not gigantic, I often see butts waaay bigger than mine, but it could never be interpreted by anyone as skinny. No one is ever going to worry that I ought to put on weight.

I have never been a big eater (except briefly when I went on celexa...my GOD, I was hungry all the time), but I've always been overweight since prolly my early twenties. I would think I was fat, starve ten pounds off, and gain fifteen. Over and over and over.

The best way to make me very hungry is to tell me I can't have any food. When I became fully awake after surgery, and got my pain under control, suddenly it occurred to me I hadn't eaten in over a day. Normally, that wouldn't concern me or even be weird, but the fact that it was after supper, yet a good twelve hours til I would be fed, and that I didn't have a fully stocked kitchen at my immediate disposal, and I couldn't walk and was dependant on others.....instantly, upon this realization, I went from not a bit hungry to oh my GOD my stomach is eating itself oh please make it stop I can't take it til morning I must have ANYTHING please bring me a piece of toast or a grape or a shred of wilted lettuce please for the love of GOD!

I never was anorexic or bulemic, but I have definitely displayed some disordered eating behavior in the past to try to lose weight. One was the chocolate diet. You eat a Hershey bar every day, but that's all you eat. Better make it last, piggy! I would have a square of it about every two hours. Or the "How Long Can I Go Hungry" diet (almost 3 days, if I remember right). I lost a significant amount of weight by living on lettuce and cereal once for about a month, along with constant exercise. I also lost weight by using drugs. Lots of drugs. I used to, when I was young, stand in front of a mirror examining any area for a little extra fat, and hating myself. I liked to have visible ribs and pelvic bones. I don't know why....I don't find that vaguely attractive on anyone else. I don't want it on me, anymore, either. But when I was young, I did.

Part of it was I kind of enjoyed the misery of it. I never got thin enough anyone noticed, because everyone was thin then. I never wore anything where it would have been noticeable, and I never got skinny enough to miss my period or have any obvious signs of it. But I remember I could never get under 120, and I'm 5'7, so that's pretty skinny. Until I got pneumonia and was hospitalized at about 17. When I was released I was down to about 115 and I was really happy.
I never progressed to actually being anorexic, because at some point, I got tired of being hungry all the time, and I just started eating more, and it was over, for the most part. And I don't think a person with a true eating disorder does that voluntarily.
But I had some food issues, and I don't know why, and I feel I have a distorted perception of hunger, and do not notice it immediately. I also feel I've ruined my metabolism with my mess.