View Full Version : Atarax (Hydroxyzine HCl) Experiences

thabaker
03-06-13, 09:54 PM
Ok so my Psychiatrist has had me on Hydroxyzine HCl since I started seeing him in November 2012. I'm to take 50 - 100 mg as needed for Anxiety and Insomnia.
At first, I would take it whenever I would start feeling Anxious, since this was the primary reason my Doc put me on it, but all it seemed to do is make me really sleepy.
So I stopped trying to use it for the Anxiety and just used it for the occasion night of Insomnia.
Now it's March 2013 and four months have gone by. Every time I bring up the issue about my Anxiety and how the Hydroxyzine HCl isn't helping my Psychiatrist just goes off on a rant about how I'm young and that he doesn't want to give me any Benzos because of addicting they are. I find this very annoying since I never even brought up Benzos and I am not seeking drugs to get high, I just want something that helps.

Anyways, that's been a summary of my experience with it so far and I wanted to hear of anyone else's experiences, whether it's a success story or you're just stuck with it because your doctor's stubborn and has no alternatives.

known_guy
03-07-13, 01:06 AM
Atarax helped my anxiety, minimally, possibly moderately at best (though that's quite a stretch to say). I take Vistaril for insomnia now, but this is all because I want to avoid taking benzodiazepines for my own personal reasons. Your psychiatrist's reasoning is... a bit interesting. May I ask how old you are?

thabaker
03-07-13, 01:25 AM
Sure thing. I'm 19.

known_guy
03-07-13, 07:35 PM
That does not sound too young for me, though of course, I'm not a professional so what do I know. :P Nevertheless, the ranting thing sounds like overkill. Especially if you do not have a history of substance abuse, I get the vibe that your doctor is using your age as an excuse not to prescribe a Schedule IV thing due to his own biases. Just my opinion or impression I'm getting...

Lunacie
03-07-13, 07:49 PM
My daughter finally talked me into seeing a psy-doc for my anxiety a couple
of years ago. He suggested I take Celexa (generic), it's an anti-depressant.
It worked very well, but my appetite was out of control. So he switched me
to Zoloft (generic) and I've been doing great on that.

The difference is that it takes time to stabilize your anxiety, so you have
to take it every day instead of 'as needed.'

After several months he asked me how I was sleeping. Don't know why he
didn't ask that sooner. He suggested Trazadone, which started out as an
anti-depressant but works better for anxiety and relaxing and sleep. Both
of my grandchildren also take it for sleep problems.

There are certainly other options in treating anxiety than Benzos. Sheesh.

thabaker
03-08-13, 05:31 AM
Especially if you do not have a history of substance abuse, I get the vibe that your doctor is using your age as an excuse not to prescribe a Schedule IV thing due to his own biases.

Maybe but I don't see why he should have a problem prescribing a Schedule IV when he's writing the scripts for my Vyvanse every month. He was also the diagnosing doctor for my ADHD and, from what I've gathered, was very quick to diagnose it. Just one computer test was all he needed. No questions about my symptoms or anything. I will point out that he did try Straterra before moving on stimulants though.
Maybe it's just one of those Psychiatric taboos that some doctors have for certain meds.

He suggested I take Celexa (generic), it's an anti-depressant.
It worked very well, but my appetite was out of control. So he switched me
to Zoloft (generic) and I've been doing great on that.

I haven't had experience with Celexa but I was prescribed Zoloft when I first started taking medication for Depression and Anxiety back in October 2011. The only complaint I had was that it made me completely emotionless for a while. I just consider that to be my body adjusting to the SSRI. I think I was on it for a month before I got switched to Lexapro. (I have no idea why they did this. I wasn't having any real problems with Zoloft that I can remember.)
I was on the Lexapro for a good two months. It was working for me and I was under the recommended dose. I went in for my appointment one day and voiced my concerns over feeling extremely anxious (I wanna say it was caused by a presentation I was expected to give in a month). I was taking the Hydroxyzine HCl all the time and it didn't even touch it.
So what does the Psychiatrist decide to do? Why switch me from Lexapro to Viibryd of course!:confused:

The switch from Zoloft to Lexapro, while not necessarily being understandable, was ok. They were both SSRI meds and were both proven to treat anxiety.
The whole Viibryd thing though.... I just don't really understand why, or where they found, a reason to put me on this stuff. It was relatively new, I'm a broke college student (nongenerics are expensive), and I wasn't able to find any info about it helping for any kind of Anxiety.:scratch:
I feel very strongly towards the decisions that have been made by this doctor. I'm in the market for a new one.

He suggested Trazadone, which started out as an
anti-depressant but works better for anxiety and relaxing and sleep.

I was on Trazadone back in 2009 for Insomnia. Man that stuff was great for knocking me out for a night and occasionally for part of the next day. I can't say anything about it treating Anxiety though. 2009 was a long time ago.
I think I'll bring it up once I find a new doc. Thanks for bringing it up.

Lunacie
03-08-13, 11:21 AM
^ All that switching meds and not explaining why . . . I think I'd be looking
for a new doctor too. Meanwhile I'd ask the current doc to switch back to
Lexapro as it was working better than the Viibryd is.

thabaker
03-08-13, 12:11 PM
I'm not planning on going back. My symptoms got significantly worse after being put on the Viibryd. My had appointment last week and told them had bad everything had gotten. They gave me 3 sample packs of Pristiq (2 week supply, 1 for week 1 and 2 for week 2) to start taking instead of the Viibryd. They also didn't give me a refill my Vyvanse but I understand that one with how bad my Anxiety has been and they want to make sure that it isn't the stimulants causing it.
They also wanted me to start an nearby IOP program so I could be regularly monitored to make sure nothing got worse. I got the Pristiq and some info from the internet and I was out of there. No follow-up appointment scheduled or anything.

known_guy
03-09-13, 09:53 PM
Yeah... it does sound like your doctor's got some biases. I was on Trazodone at one point too, but there was just something I really disliked about it. I was prescribed it for insomnia.

thabaker
03-15-13, 09:32 AM
All I can really remember from the time that I was on Trazadone is being extremely sleeping throughout the day. I don't want to blame the med because I was like that all day before and after I was on it.

starry
03-15-13, 09:40 AM
A lot of doctors get paid by pharmaceutical companies to push their meds. That's why some docs will be eager to prescribe a certain med. over others.
This happens especially with new meds on the market, but with older ones too.

It's fairly common that the drug companies end up being found out as making deals with doctors to push their product on their patients and then get sued.
These trials usually get settled after the drug companies agree to either pay the FDA, or which ever gov agency it is in other countries or get settled by undisclosed amounts, usually astronomic amounts paid.

thabaker
03-15-13, 09:52 AM
A lot of doctors get paid by pharmaceutical companies to push their meds.
That's the second time today that I've heard someone say that. It makes me not want to trust any doctor. It would also explain why I was given sample packs of Pristiq instead of first being put on Venlafaxine as the Venlafaxine is available as a generic and would be much more affordable with my limited income.

Would that also be true for medications that are available in generic form?

Lunacie
03-15-13, 10:48 AM
All I can really remember from the time that I was on Trazadone is being extremely sleeping throughout the day. I don't want to blame the med because I was like that all day before and after I was on it.

The reason my p-doc gave me Trazadone was as a sleep aid, to be taken at bedtime.

thabaker
03-15-13, 10:54 AM
To counteract insomnia from your ADHD meds or were you experiencing insomnia that wasn't caused by your medicine?

Lunacie
03-15-13, 11:29 AM
To counteract insomnia from your ADHD meds or were you experiencing insomnia that wasn't caused by your medicine?

I've had trouble sleeping my whole life. Partly from the busy-brain of ADHD,
partly from Anxiety, partly from sensory disorder so noise keeps me awake.

thabaker
03-15-13, 12:16 PM
I understand. That stuff has been rough for me in the past too. I've recently just been wearing myself out all day with constant, unvarying worry so I just doze off as soon as my head hits the pillow.

I can't exactly say that I know what it's like to experience a sensory disorder but I do depend on a fan to get to sleep every night. I can have a pretty difficult/impossible time getting to sleep if I don't have it.

starry
03-16-13, 07:04 AM
Would that also be true for medications that are available in generic form?

I would think so, since the pharma. companies that make generics are also businesses that want to sell their product, just like the companies that make the original meds.
So they probably all do this type of stuff.

known_guy
03-16-13, 03:34 PM
The kickbacks/incentive thing has considerably toned down over the past several years or so. I think it highly unlikely that any doctor would get any benefit from prescribing a patient a medication that comes in generic form. Given the insurance companies' desire to minimize costs, you'd get the generics as soon as they become available. Unless the pharmaceutical companies engage in really shady business with under-the-table stuff, I really don't think the kickbacks/incentive idea applies here. Hydroxyzine has been around for many, many years now. Oh, shoot, we're talking about Trazodone aren't we; since the latter is also pretty old now, I think what I said likely still holds true with that example too. This is mostly speculation. Thinking aloud, don't mind me.