View Full Version : Does Yoga help you?

Grantham
03-10-13, 10:48 PM
I have been thinking of doing some gentle yoga to help with ADD. Does this seem to help anyone else?

ConcertaParent
03-11-13, 12:26 AM
Some studies indicate that yoga or mindfulness MAY help. Unfortunately, my DD and I have not noticed any difference with her Hatha Yoga class and us doing Superbrain Yoga daily.

goodtimesahead
03-11-13, 01:16 PM
I have been practicing Kundalini Yoga for just over two years and it is the best thing I have ever done in helping with ADD. I found it to provide more benefits than medication.

I have written more about my experience in this thread:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140032

Grantham
03-13-13, 07:52 PM
Thank you goodtimesahead. I do have another question about Kundalini yoga, is it physically tiring? I am not cleared by my doctor for exercise.

goodtimesahead
03-14-13, 07:16 AM
@Grantham - your welcome. Kundalini yoga can be physically demanding or very relaxing depending on the exercises you do.

I found most benefit from doing the physically demanding exercises to develop my core strength and increase my energy, discipline and focus. However there are many meditative exercises which have helped me significantly with my ADHD.

The following book has many different meditations for all sorts of mental conditions:

“Kundalini Yoga Meditation” by David S. Shannahoff Khalsa.

One particular exercise I found useful is left nostril breathing. You need to sit with your spine straight (on the floor or chair) and block your right nostril with your right thumb. With the left nostril you need to:

Inhale for 10 seconds
Hold for 10 seconds
Exhale 10 seconds

Initially try for say 5 mins and gradually build to 11 mins. It maybe difficult to initially control your breathing to inhale for 10 seconds but you will eventually get there through a bit of practice. The key is to avoid snatching on the inhale.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Goodtimesahead.