View Full Version : SENCO says he 'needs to apply himself more' !! grrrrr

sickasachip
03-12-13, 03:17 PM
Ive had a meeting with SENCO today & she says son is fine (english class of 6 maths class of 8 so hows that fine?) he just needs to apply himself more !! OMG its so annoying for her to say that considering her role within the school !! now Im goin to have to take a deep breath and broaden my shoulders to fight this war !!.....rant over sorry :mad:

dvdnvwls
03-12-13, 05:35 PM
(Special Educational Needs Coordinator, for those of us not in the UK)

If he has ADHD, then applying himself is exactly what he isn't capable of doing (well, not consistently), and she ought to know that. If no ADHD, then her remarks make more sense.

It irritates many people that a person with ADHD can sometimes "apply himself" because it makes them believe he is simply choosing not to "apply himself" at other times.

JenE
03-12-13, 11:37 PM
I agree. I'm having similar issues with anxiety where he "looks" like he's in control and just being defiant but he's really battling anxiety and it comes out as defiance. I also had issues with teachers saying he can do it when he tries. But ADHD kids perform inconsistently. It is very frustrating!!

dvdnvwls
03-13-13, 01:56 AM
I agree. I'm having similar issues with anxiety where he "looks" like he's in control and just being defiant but he's really battling anxiety and it comes out as defiance. I also had issues with teachers saying he can do it when he tries. But ADHD kids perform inconsistently. It is very frustrating!!

(Not just kids.)

(Glances at own reflection in window)

He can't do it when he tries, that's exactly the problem. He can only do it sometimes, and usually when he doesn't try.