View Full Version : A Guerilla Gardener - TED Talk (only 10 min. long)

Unmanagable
03-12-13, 08:42 PM
Ron Finley plants vegetable gardens in South Central LA -- in abandoned lots, traffic medians, along the curbs. Why? For fun, for defiance, for beauty and to offer some alternative to fast food in a community where "the drive-thrus are killing more people than the drive-bys."

http://www.ted.com/talks/ron_finley_a_guerilla_gardener_in_south_central_la .html?embed=true

MellyFishButt
03-12-13, 08:46 PM
Yay! I was involved in a community gleaning non profit. I did not watch the video but I approve!

Unmanagable
05-21-13, 01:09 AM
I like Ron's quote, "Growing your own food is like printing your own money."

We have a few community garden projects underway and they can't even give the food away in the neighborhoods sometimes.

I've heard people make comments like, "Ewwww. It's on the ground with the dirt. I wouldn't eat that!!"

There's way too many peeps with no idea that food comes from somewhere other than a store shelf, delivery, or through a drive-thru window.

Convenience has created dependence, big time.

When the current conveniences aren't quite so convenient, or no longer accessible due to (insert random significant and disabling event here), having some of the old school gardening and farming skills could be handy.

Folks who know how to grow, harvest, and preserve food are typically more than willing to share their skills with you, for free.

Having you there to learn is an extra set of hands that can help in the process.

Win/win.

You can grow stuff in apartments, on roof tops, in a window, vertically, etc. No garden plot required.

The possibilities are endless.