View Full Version : How does your faith help you?

Grantham
03-14-13, 04:23 PM
How does your faith help your life and your ADD?

I am looking for brainstorming ideas, I'll try anything.

emily848
03-14-13, 06:00 PM
My faith mainly comes from the ideas in "The Seat of the Soul" by Gary Zukav. He calls this the "Earth School" and says that we have all incarnated the parts of ourselves that we need to learn specific lessons that our spirit has set out to learn in this lifetime. Every person involved in or touched by any interaction has something to learn from it. You can't determine what someone else can learn, but you can think insightful about what you personally can take away from it. He also says that we have each chosen all of our life circumstances because of things we want to learn.

It's not far from that view to imagine that rather than incarnating parts of an individual, we are each incarnations of parts of a cosmic whole.

That belief has helped me tremendously in casting life experiences in a positive, forward-moving way, and also trusting that things are unfolding as they are supposed to.

This is such an integral part of my life, I could give many examples, but here are a couple of big ones:

(1) I was misdiagnosed with BP II disorder over 4 years ago and spent a tortuous 2 years trying different medications that didn't work. When I finally received a correct diagnosis of ADHD, I briefly tried medications, but because I'd had such a bad experience previously, I quickly moved on to looking into lifestyle changes. That led me to discovering meditation which has improved my life in many ways. If I had never been misdiagnosed and spent those two horrible years trying incorrect medications, then I would be on ADHD medications now and would never have found the more overall fulfilling path of meditation.

(2) My wife (of 17 years) developed alcoholism which led to her spending seven weeks in an in-patient rehab facility last year. The years of her worsening alcoholism were nightmarishly painful, and I was hurt by her many times. During her recovery, I have leaned heavily on the belief that both she and I chose to experience that alcoholic path before we incarnated into this life so that we could learn and develop in specific ways. Our spirits decided that we would walk through this life side by side to help each other and learn together. If she had never developed alcoholism, then we would have both continued to drink casually and not have been forced into introspection and the search for true fulfillment that becomes necessary when inebriation is not an option. In many ways, alcoholism is a blessing because there are so many people who don't think twice about having to drink after a hard day or even just to have fun with their friends. I believe it is leading us to more fulfilling lives. My wife is still struggling, and every time she slips it hurts me terribly, but we are working toward something better and I believe very strongly that together we have the tools to get there.

dresser
03-14-13, 11:29 PM
1976 I started a spiritual journy N its still goin on I have come to learn that life is a black board and every aspect is on it I was guided to the junction of change in 1976 no matter how hard my ego want to take the credit. I was also guided to this forum and the fact that I have ADD. I f i can keep the great I AM out of my life my life will come to me.
I'm not sure but the posibility of me being responsible for all the hardship N crap in my
life is somhow loosing the mist that surounds thw full picture so Ill hope for a big wind to blow it away and everthing will be clearer

Grantham
03-19-13, 01:33 PM
My faith mainly comes from the ideas in "The Seat of the Soul" by Gary Zukav. He calls this the "Earth School" and says that we have all incarnated the parts of ourselves that we need to learn specific lessons that our spirit has set out to learn in this lifetime. Every person involved in or touched by any interaction has something to learn from it. You can't determine what someone else can learn, but you can think insightful about what you personally can take away from it. He also says that we have each chosen all of our life circumstances because of things we want to learn.

It's not far from that view to imagine that rather than incarnating parts of an individual, we are each incarnations of parts of a cosmic whole.

That belief has helped me tremendously in casting life experiences in a positive, forward-moving way, and also trusting that things are unfolding as they are supposed to.

This is such an integral part of my life, I could give many examples, but here are a couple of big ones:

(1) I was misdiagnosed with BP II disorder over 4 years ago and spent a tortuous 2 years trying different medications that didn't work. When I finally received a correct diagnosis of ADHD, I briefly tried medications, but because I'd had such a bad experience previously, I quickly moved on to looking into lifestyle changes. That led me to discovering meditation which has improved my life in many ways. If I had never been misdiagnosed and spent those two horrible years trying incorrect medications, then I would be on ADHD medications now and would never have found the more overall fulfilling path of meditation.

(2) My wife (of 17 years) developed alcoholism which led to her spending seven weeks in an in-patient rehab facility last year. The years of her worsening alcoholism were nightmarishly painful, and I was hurt by her many times. During her recovery, I have leaned heavily on the belief that both she and I chose to experience that alcoholic path before we incarnated into this life so that we could learn and develop in specific ways. Our spirits decided that we would walk through this life side by side to help each other and learn together. If she had never developed alcoholism, then we would have both continued to drink casually and not have been forced into introspection and the search for true fulfillment that becomes necessary when inebriation is not an option. In many ways, alcoholism is a blessing because there are so many people who don't think twice about having to drink after a hard day or even just to have fun with their friends. I believe it is leading us to more fulfilling lives. My wife is still struggling, and every time she slips it hurts me terribly, but we are working toward something better and I believe very strongly that together we have the tools to get there.

I like your viewpoint, it seems to be a combination of everything happens for a reason and extracting good from an otherwise bad situation. It's very inspirational.

1976 I started a spiritual journy N its still goin on I have come to learn that life is a black board and every aspect is on it I was guided to the junction of change in 1976 no matter how hard my ego want to take the credit. I was also guided to this forum and the fact that I have ADD. I f i can keep the great I AM out of my life my life will come to me.
I'm not sure but the posibility of me being responsible for all the hardship N crap in my
life is somhow loosing the mist that surounds thw full picture so Ill hope for a big wind to blow it away and everthing will be clearer

I'm glad you are learning and growing, your path seems to be working for you.

ana futura
03-19-13, 02:46 PM
Faith doesn't help me, I don't have an opinion on God one way or the other. I'm not a member of an organized religion. However, exposure to the teachings of the Buddha has helped me tremendously. The writings of Buddhist scholars like Thich Nhat Hanh have helped me to understand myself and my brain (and my ADHD) as well or better than any book by Russell Barkley.

The more Buddhist teachings help me to learn my way in the world, the more I am drawn to Buddhism as an organized religion, but at this point in my life I am happy just to sit on the side lines and glean from it what I can.