View Full Version : Raw honey

Grantham
03-14-13, 04:33 PM
Has anyone found raw honey to be helpful with their ADD?

I also have very bad asthma and I am trying to use the raw honey to help with asthma. I find it helps a bit with ADD, but it may simply be that I replaced the processed honey with unprocessed.

http://wakeup-world.com/2012/07/23/the-health-benefits-of-raw-honey/

MellyFishButt
03-14-13, 05:30 PM
I have no idea, but suddenly I am very hungry.

starry
03-15-13, 03:47 AM
Actually honey is really not good for health at all.

And seems to be worsening ADHD, mood disorders, depression.
But these are just minor issues, compared to the other things it can cause.

Cancer, inflammations, bacterial fermentation in the colon, mucus build-up, immune disorders, fatty liver, stroke etc etc

Acidity:

First off, honey is extremely acidic. The PH of honey is commonly between 3.2 and 4.5. This relatively acidic PH level creates a perfect environment for virus and bacteria to thrive, making the immune system vulnerable to a all kinds of diseases.

Secondly, honey is a simple sugar.
One of sugar's major drawbacks is that it raises the insulin level, which inhibits the release of growth hormones, which in turn depresses the immune system. This is not something you want to take place if you want to avoid disease.

Simple sugars have been observed to aggravate asthma, move mood swings, provoke personality changes, muster mental illness, nourish nervous disorders, deliver diabetes, hurry heart disease, grow gallstones, hasten hypertension, and add arthritis.

There are 4 classes of simple sugars which are regarded by most nutritionists as "harmful" to optimal health when prolonged consumption in amounts above 15% of the carbohydrate calories are ingested: Sucrose, fructose, honey, and malts.
Although honey is a natural sweetener, it is considered a refined sugar because 96% of dry matter are simple sugars: fructose, glucose and sucrose. It is little wonder that the honey bear is the only animal found in nature with a problem with tooth-decay (honey decays teeth faster than table sugar). Honey has the highest calorie content of all sugars with 65 calories/tablespoon, compared to the 48 calories/tablespoon found in table sugar. The increased calories are bound to cause increased blood serum fatty acids, as well as weight gain, on top of the risk of more cavities.

Honey is not much better than white or brown sugar.

Sugar and cancer:
• Of the over 4 million cancer patients being treated in the U.S. today, almost none are offered any scientifically guided nutrition therapy other than being told to "just eat good foods." Many cancer patients would have a major improvement in their conditions if they controlled the supply of cancer's preferred fuel: GLUCOSE. By slowing the cancer's growth, patients make it possible for their immune systems to catch up to the disease. Controlling one's blood-glucose levels through diet, exercise, supplements, meditation and prescription drugs - when necessary - can be one of the most crucial components to a cancer treatment program. The saying "Sugar feeds cancer" is simple. The explanation is a little more involved.
• German Otto Warburg, Ph.D., the 1931 Nobel laureate in medicine, first discovered that cancer cells have a fundamentally different energy metabolism compared to healthy cells.
• The gist of his Nobel thesis was this: malignant tumors frequently exhibit an increase in "anaerobic glycolysis" - a process whereby glucose is used by cancer cells as a fuel with lactic acid as an anaerobic by-product - compared to normal tissues.
• The large amount of lactic acid produced by this fermentation of glucose from the cancer cells is then transported to the liver. This conversion of glucose to lactate creates a lower, more acidic PH in cancerous tissues as well as overall physical fatigue from lactic acid build-up. Therefore, larger tumors tend to exhibit a more acidic PH.
Hence, cancer therapies should attempt to regulate blood-glucose levels through diet, supplements, exercise, medication when necessary, gradual weight loss and stress reduction. Since cancer cells derive most of their energy from anaerobic glycolysis, the goal is not to eliminate sugars or carbohydrates entirely from the diet but rather to control blood-glucose within a narrow range to help starve the cancer cells and boost immune function.

Here is a list of ways sugar can affect your health:
• Sugar can suppress the immune system.
• Sugar can upset the body's mineral balance.
• Sugar can contribute to hyperactivity, anxiety, depression, concentration difficulties, and crankiness in children.
• Sugar can produce a significant rise in triglycerides.
• Sugar can cause drowsiness and decreased activity in children.
• Sugar can reduce helpful high density cholesterol (HDLs).
• Sugar can promote an elevation of harmful cholesterol (LDLs).
• Sugar can cause hypoglycemia.
• Sugar contributes to a weakened defense against bacterial infection.
• Sugar can cause kidney damage.
• Sugar can increase the risk of coronary heart disease.
• Sugar may lead to chromium deficiency.
• Sugar can cause copper deficiency.
• Sugar interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium.
• Sugar can increase fasting levels of blood glucose.
• Sugar can promote tooth decay.
• Sugar can produce an acidic stomach.
• Sugar can raise adrenaline levels in children.
• Sugar can lead to periodontal disease.
• Sugar can speed the aging process, causing wrinkles and grey hair.
• Sugar can increase total cholesterol.
• Sugar can contribute to weight gain and obesity.
• High intake of sugar increases the risk of Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.
• Sugar can contribute to diabetes.
• Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis.
• Sugar can cause a decrease in insulin sensitivity.
• Sugar leads to decreased glucose tolerance.
• Sugar can cause cardiovascular disease.
• Sugar can increase systolic blood pressure.
• Sugar causes food allergies.
• Sugar can cause free radical formation in the bloodstream.
• Sugar can cause toxemia during pregnancy.
• Sugar can contribute to eczema in children.
• Sugar can overstress the pancreas, causing damage.
• Sugar can cause atherosclerosis.
• Sugar can compromise the lining of the capillaries.
• Sugar can cause liver cells to divide, increasing the size of the liver.
• Sugar can increase the amount of fat in the liver.
• Sugar can increase kidney size and produce pathological changes in the kidney.
• Sugar can cause depression.
• Sugar can increase the body's fluid retention.
• Sugar can cause hormonal imbalance.
• Sugar can cause hypertension.
• Sugar can cause headaches, including migraines.
• Sugar can cause an increase in delta, alpha and theta brain waves, which can alter the mind's ability to think clearly.
• Sugar can increase blood platelet adhesiveness which increases risk of blood clots and strokes.
• Sugar can increase insulin responses in those consuming high-sugar diets compared to low sugar diets.
• Sugar increases bacterial fermentation in the colon.

Toxic:
Honey produced from flowers of oleanders, rhododendrons, mountain laurels, sheep laurel, and azaleas may cause honey intoxication. Symptoms include dizziness, weakness, excessive perspiration, nausea, and vomiting. Less commonly, low blood pressure, shock, heart rhythm irregularities, and convulsions may occur, with rare cases resulting in death. Honey intoxication is more likely when using "natural" unprocessed honey and honey from farmers who may have a small number of hives. Commercial processing, with pooling of honey from numerous sources, is thought to dilute any toxins.

Harmful Pesticides are used on farm crops and residential flowers have been found in commercial honey which leak into the honey and gets into the system of those who consume the honey.

References:

(1) Warburg O. On the origin of cancer cells. Science 1956 Feb;123:309-14.
(2) Volk T, et al. pH in human tumor xenografts: effect of intravenous administration of glucose. Br J Cancer 1993 Sep;68(3):492-500.
(3) Digirolamo M. Diet and cancer: markers, prevention and treatment. New York: Plenum Press; 1994. p 203.
(4). Leeper DB, et al. Effect of i.v. glucose versus combined i.v. plus oral glucose on human tumor extracellular pH for potential sensitization to thermoradiotherapy. Int J Hyperthermia 1998 May-Jun;14(3):257-69.
http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/sugar.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey#Health_hazards

starry
03-15-13, 04:28 AM
Another reason why we should avoid honey is the fact that there's a phenomena going on for the past years, where honeybees are disappearing by the masses all around the world.
Since 2000, beekeepers across the world have been reporting a phenomenon called "Colony Collapse Disorder" (CCD) in which the adult bees simply disappear from the colony hives.
The first reports of colony collapse disorder came in the mid-2000s from commercial beekeepers, who depending on region have experienced colony losses ranging from 30 to 90 percent. Commercial pollination costs have since skyrocketed, and as wild bees are also afflicted, even naturally occurring pollination is threatened.

There are typically few, if any, dead bees found. The queen and immature bees (brood) are often found in the hives inadequately attended by adult bees.
The cause of CCD is currently unknown. Scientists are researching several possible causes including pesticides, parasites, disease, poor nutrition and limited or contaminated water supplies.

http://www.naturalnews.com/028054_honeybees_colony_collapse_disorder.html
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/04/neonicotinoids-colony-collapse/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/7980954/Bee-decline-already-having-dramatic-effect-on-pollination-of-plants.html
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/comment/2012/04/new-studies-colony-collapse-disorder.html

A good documentary on this:
"Silence Of The Bees" (the full film in the link below):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cU9ZunVl3o

Albert Einstein speculated that,
"If the bees disappeared off the surface of the globe,
man would have left only four years of life.
No more bees, no more pollination, no more plants, no more animals, no more man."

starry
03-15-13, 04:48 AM
How beekeeping is contributing to the vanishing of the bees:
http://www.naturalnews.com/028054_honeybees_colony_collapse_disorder.html

Grantham
04-05-13, 08:19 PM
After a month I've noticed significant reduction in asthma symptoms but no change since the initial shift.

someothertime
04-06-13, 03:46 AM
I concur on the sugar angle.

I would say that there are properties in honey that are yet unknown. I cannot substantiate this. Definately something medicinal. A small amount with milk for breakfast may be good for health.

silivrentoliel
04-06-13, 10:40 AM
honey in moderation, I don't feel is unhealthy... I like honey, but can only take it in small quantities... sometimes it sucks the air right out of my lungs. Not a real fun feeling.