View Full Version : Richard Lavoie!! Reading Comprehension Activity.

ADDBJP
03-18-13, 01:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNAi8yiu87Y&list=PLD1DA7DA869FD0733&index=8

:giggle: :lol: Love it!!

ConcertaParent
03-18-13, 08:45 AM
I remember watching this old video. What's the best way to improve a child's reading comprehension? I have started using Pearson Education's SuccessMaker, but I don't think it's helpful so far.

SquarePeg
03-18-13, 09:44 AM
Where´s the next part then???

This is how my adhd went undiagnosed for so long, I could answer questions without fully understanding.

wills11
03-18-13, 11:13 PM
I know what I just posted is long. But I hope people read it! There's some pretty interesting stuff and I'd like some help regarding my own struggle with this. I've never had a place to ask.

I'm very curious to hear about the rest of this original post.

I've scored incredibly high for my respective group (whatever it was at the time) throughout my lifetime of standardized testing in categories of vocabulary and writing and other analytical aspects. I continually score amazingly low in areas of reading comprehension and pretty much anything that has to do with reading in general. In fact, back when I took my GRE I scored somewhere in the 80th and then somewhere in the 20th respectively.

I was diagnosed with a math disorder (it never stated dyscalculia but I'm assuming that's the only one). I understand how to do math problems, even calculus, but I cannot actually do them. I've played piano since the age of 4. I can tell you how to read music and everything you possibly need to know, but I cannot do it myself. Nothing makes sense when I try to "translate" or "process" it from the paper to my head. It's a black hole of cognition and meaning.

A few months ago someone passed an article along to me about "twice exceptional" children (also known as "2E" or "disabled-gifted"). It was all the rage in the 70s-early 80s then kind of fell of the map. Pretty much everything I've researched in this realm describes me - from the diagnostic criteria to the emotional distress and fallout.

I'm applying for further professional schools after working for a couple years and have been encouraged to get retested so I can receive the proper help I need in my studies. In grade school I was too damn smart for my own good and found ways around, and to hide, everything. It wasn't until junior year of college that everything went up in flames and that's when I got tested.

A couple people have told me it seems as if I have some sort of mild form of dyslexia which could explain my reading struggles. I've reported dyslexic-like symptoms in the past with no real concern expressed. I can identify words without much trouble, but I've more memorized the way they look rather than reading the actual word or reading the sounds as it goes. (I guess it's comparable to when you see a logo - when I see red script-y letters with a C, I know it says Coke.) When I see a word that's unfamiliar or doesn't come up a lot (aka I haven't memorized the way it looks) I have to sound it out like a child learning to read or I pause and stumble across it until I realize I actually knew it. Sometimes I have to sound it out several times because I still haven't figured it out.

Because of these things I read ridiculously slow. In movies with subtitles or text that explains something real quick, I never finish it before they take it down. The same with the news and things like that (even Jeopardy questions despite the fact I'd be "reading along" with Alex). I've always been the slowest, or one of, in all my classes as far back as I can remember. In testing situations it's some sort of miracle if I finish the questions involving reading passages and answering questions before time is up.

Reading aloud is one of the most embarrassing things imaginable and sometimes I have to hold back tears, even as an adult. If I'm presenting an article or something for a meeting/lecture, I do my best to memorize whatever I'm going to read so I can recite it and use the text as a reference if I need to, rather than actually read it on the spot.

There are a few other things I can go on about such as text size and fonts, colors and size of the pages, formatting, continually losing my place, having to restart a sentence when I'm mid-sentence, but I won't. It's easy to get overwhelmed with it all and I have to break it down into the tiniest bits to get through it. It takes me months to get through simple teen fiction books like Harry Potter.

Because of this I often have to read, reread, go back and reread a paragraph later and sometimes more. Generally, I have to read a paragraph the first time to make sure I'm getting all of the words. Ok, good, made it through that. Now let me go back and read it again to try and connect them all and put a meaning behind it. Ok, I got some of that. Let's try it again and picture the scene in my head of what it's saying as I go along sentence by sentence. Yeah. That's pretty much how it goes.

I see a psychiatrist because I have some other diagnoses that get attended to. I explained this once to him and he attributed it to my ADHD. Basically, in a sentence, what it comes down to for him... He says that it's related to my inability to concentrate and focus on what's happening in the entirety. It makes sense I suppose. But it also seems like an awful lot we're blaming the ADHD of, especially something so specific as this. Maybe?

^^ Has anyone had an experience like this? Know of someone? Heard of this before? What are your thoughts?? Any suggestions? Aaannnyything??