View Full Version : Cymbalta Effexor or prozac

hollywood
03-18-13, 10:34 PM
These all world for me and I cannot recall which one has the best result . What's the main anectodal effect difference between the 3? Regarding fatigue , energizing effect and most helpful for social anxiety

hollywood
03-19-13, 03:38 PM
Hello Effexor , Prozac, cymbalta main differences

Piper30
03-19-13, 07:41 PM
Okay well I posted the side effects which I am sure you already know or could have found yourself. Still, at least they are all in one place so you can compare : ) The following is based off my personal experience and knowledge .. I am not a doctor, nor am I that bright so take it for what it is worth :)

Energy-Cymbalta usually will give you a bit of a boost but short lived and fatigue follows or even comes before you get to the energy. I would say Cymbalta rates the lowest for energy.
Prozac is one up from Cymbalta.. depending on the person and other meds of course. Effexor from what I know (again depending on other conditions/meds) would be the winner in the energy category.

Social anxiety-Tie between Prozac and Effexor ... if I have to pick Prozac wins.

Personal opinion...Cymbalta has some serious serous side effects. I have never run into a grey area with that med. Either it works wonders for someone, or it is the worst experience of their life. Coming off the med is pure hell ... in fact I was convinced I was in hell. I would think if it was a wonder med for you it would be hard to forget that. :)

Prozac is given sometimes to help with the withdrawals from Cymbalta, eases the symptoms while giving you that energy you need. In the end I say Prozac wins ... again that is just my uneducated opinion. Though only fair to mention Prozac will take longer to "kick in" and get going in your body. Effexor is much quicker due to the fact it is dual acting.

Ok that is my two or three cents ... good luck :)

The most common side effects:
Venlafaxine (Effexor)Duloxetine (Cymbalta)

Nausea
Headache
Dizziness
Somnolence
Insomnia
Nervousness
Dry mouth
Abnormal ejaculation
Sweating
Constipation
Anorexia
Impotence

Nausea
Somnolence
Headache
Dry mouth
Dizziness
Insomnia
Fatigue
Constipation
Diarrhea
Vomiting
Decreased appetite
Sweating
Erectile dysfunction

Prozac side effects may include:

cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat;
drowsiness, dizziness, feeling nervous;
mild nausea, upset stomach, constipation;
increased appetite, weight changes;
sleep problems (insomnia);
decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm; or
dry mouth.

hollywood
03-20-13, 01:10 AM
Your right prozac and effexir have something that helps you he more outward if you an introvert and that is good for sales . Effexor works better though

It's a toss up

Nibs91
03-20-13, 12:27 PM
I would say whatever you choose, give it a chance, like a few months worth of a chance. My prozac didn't really kick in until 2 months or so. And after adding Abilify it got even better.

Shabazz
03-20-13, 12:33 PM
I've taken all three and Prozac was the best IMHO. It was good for obssessive thinking too. I think Effexor & cymbalta are way overrated. Of the two, cymbalta was more effective, but they're both substandard compared to tricyclics and MAOI's.

hollywood
03-20-13, 08:56 PM
Cymbalta works , makes me tired , kills distracting pains , doesn't seem to take me off task , but seem less human like , kinda cool . Effexors cymbalta with a kick and I felt it helped me be socially and stomped shyness like a bug . Only issue is feeling tired and draining caffeine . Prozac seemed like Effexor without the pop . Prozac and Effexor stop social shyness . So this is my position . Take cymbalta and have it work but be tired alot , yet be more focused , it's pure hell stopping at any dose no matter how small . Take effexor and jump right into action . Coming off Effexor is easier than cymbalta just prepare for your body to have jumpy pains and your muscles will jerk and pop for a few days . You people must be wimps . I can come off it cold turkey . I feel like pure crap and just become hyper focused on sex. Makes sense to me because I cannot think straight when stopping

dasikins
03-20-13, 09:18 PM
What about Pristiq? I was on both Cymbalta and Effexor. Effexor was the devil to get off of. It was the devil when I was half a day late taking it! I would get horrible 'brain shocks/shivers.'

Pristiq, although just the isomer of Effexor, was completely different for me anyway. It was absolutely amazing the first 2 months, unfortunately it faded, but that is just me.

I started taking it every other day to see if that would help and I didn't notice anything. No withdraw, nothing. Getting off of it was a cake walk.

It was my favorite so far and may try it again to see if it will continue working as effectively.

hollywood
03-20-13, 10:20 PM
So your not taking Pristiq now?

Shabazz
03-21-13, 08:57 AM
You want something with pop, try Effexor Immediate Release. Stuff is nuclear strong & makes Effexor xr feel like a placebo. Other than this, I wouldn't waste time with ssri & snri.

Fuzzy12
03-21-13, 09:19 AM
I took Effexor for a few months. Absolutely hated it. It did nothing for my depression, so we kept increasing the dose, way beyond the recommended maximum dose. It made me tired and very, very moody too but I didn't swing between good and bad moods, just between bad and suicidal.

I've heard lots of horror stories about stopping SNRI's, in particular, Effexor. I didn't have any problems though. In fact, I felt much, much better.

Now I'm taking. I'm not sure it does much for my depression. I took 80mg (instead of 60) for a about week, and it made me so tired I couldn't keep my eyes open. 60mg is ok. No side effects, I think, except for tiredness, but also no great positive effects.

I'm thinking of switching to Sertraline (zoloft) again, which like Prozac is an SSRI. It seemed to help best with the depression. (well, it made me hypomanic :rolleyes:). It made me very tired too though and I always had a dry mouth. No other side effects.

I don't have social anxiety but all three anti depressants that I've tried completely got rid of any general anxiety for me.

dasikins
03-21-13, 01:16 PM
So your not taking Pristiq now?

Well, that is a long story. Adding the stimulants helped my Pristiq. I went from apathy to better. The stims I don't take on the weekends or when I can hold off (I use them for EDS) and really noticed just how dull Pristiq was.

I went down to everyother day without noticing much but then my stims just kind of stopped working. I mean they didn't help with fatigue or anything. So I started Pristiq again.

I will get off Pristiq once the Memantine has stabled, which I am trying in a couple of weeks.

I would give it a try though. Norepinephrin is my what my brain requires and for whatever reason Pristiq gave it that 10x more then Effexor or Cymbalta.

hollywood
03-21-13, 08:47 PM
It seems like Effexor , and or cymbalta ( moreso Effexor ) popped me out of this mental shyness and mental shyness cloud that holds me back and smashes this shyness, anxiety at god speed. Cymbalta is the same but lacks the kick which Effexor gives. Strangely it's this kick that helps me stop worrying and start doing . That's really the only issue . Small stuff like this can make a smart man act to become rich versus now thinking about what I should be doing . Oh well I guess I should take it . Cymbalta my focus is better but I am more reserved and less active ( small difference but huge output difference )

Piper30
03-21-13, 10:38 PM
It seems like Effexor , and or cymbalta ( moreso Effexor ) popped me out of this mental shyness and mental shyness cloud that holds me back and smashes this shyness, anxiety at god speed. Cymbalta is the same but lacks the kick which Effexor gives. Strangely it's this kick that helps me stop worrying and start doing . That's really the only issue . Small stuff like this can make a smart man act to become rich versus now thinking about what I should be doing . Oh well I guess I should take it . Cymbalta my focus is better but I am more reserved and less active ( small difference but huge output difference )

First things first .... all meds effect everyone differently .. it made me sad to see you say that one is a wimp having trouble stopping Cymbalta cold turkey. For me personally it wasn't physical issues that were the problem it was the mental turmoil coming off it. I am hypersensitive to medications though so that had something to do with it. I know of people personally who have ended their lives and two that attempted to do so coming off that med cold turkey. I am glad you don't have that problem and it doesn't effect you that way. You are extremely lucky.

I was reading how you said Cymbalta basically works fine but you are tired. Have you heard of, or ever tried taking Cymbalta with Provigil? I know a few people who take that combo, the provigil given to combat the tiredness Cymbalta causes. I have even known some to stop taking adderall as that combo worked so well for them. Might be worth the research or asking the doc about. Finding the right medication is difficult I hope you find the combo that works best for you :)