View Full Version : How long to try each supplement for to see if it works?

jonny87
03-19-13, 11:13 AM
There are so many supplements that people are recommending I am confused about which to try first.

eg.
fish oil,
magnesium,
carnitine,
caffeine,
pycnogenol,
ginseng,
ginko biloba,
phenylalanine,
grape seed extract,
L-theanine,
l-tyrosine,
DL-phenylalanine,
bacopa,
phosphatidylserine,
DMAE,
vinpocetine,
piracetam and other racetams,

So firsty, please can someone give me a recommendation about which is the most popular suppement for innatentive type adhd?

I am most tempted to try l-theanine first. The reason being that coffee makes it harder for me to concentrate whereas tea actually helps. Beside from having less caffeine in, tea contains l-theanine wheras coffee doesn't so maybe that was hewlping my concentration.

Secondly, I don't want to try any two supplements at the same time since then I won't know which one has given me a positive or negative effects if there is one. And many of the supplements seem to take a few weeks for people to start noticing any effects so can someone please give me an idea of how long I should take them for to see how they effect me?

I know it must vary depending on the supplement but can someone give me an idea for as many of them as possible please? I've heard fish oils can take months, piracetam (I have some of this already) takes a few weeks, but i'm not sure about the rest.

jonny87
03-19-13, 11:16 AM
Also is it a good idea to just try one of the ready made focus capsules available that contain many different ingredients, or is it better to try one herb/supplement at a time?

oneup
03-19-13, 05:18 PM
I second that...it's going to cost a grip of money to buy all these seperately, and indvidually none of these are very effective, in my experience anyways.

Lost4815
04-08-13, 03:22 AM
Here are my recommendations after about 2 or 3 months of trying "complementary medicine" and supplements instead of stimulants. Keep in mind, some of these fall a little more into the "I heard it from a naturopath" than pure medical science.

I was able to purchase these for pretty cheaply on amazon and ebay, and my local herbal stores, vitamin shoppe, and walmart.

Anti-inflamatory Anatabloc

Cannaplex (artificial cannabinoid) which can give you a pick me up in the form of a "runners high".

Green Pastures Fermented Skate Liver Oil Capsules (2x a day, or 2 at bedtime). Contains Activator X (google it)

Etherium Gold

Deepak Chopra, Endorphinate PR, Stress & Anxiety Formula

Magnetic Pill (which has magnetitum or chi shi)

Choffy ( Crio Bru Cavalla which is cocoa coffee, but without many of the negatives of coffee)

Raw Cocoa bean nibs (a few handfuls a day)

Resveratrol Wine Extract (2x a day, experiment with it, but I find it gives too much energy at night).

NOW Foods L-Tryptophan and Revolution Dreamweaver Sleep Aids (for insomnia)

Pharmanex LifePak Nano Nutritional Supplements (2 packets a day or just one in the morning) or
Focus Factor (a multi supplement for people with ADHD)
(those both contain similar vitamins, so you don't want to take too much of the same thing).

Green Coffee bean extract (for energy and metabolism)

And since all of this might hurt your stomach even if taken after a meal, I recommend camel milk supplements and probiotics for digestion. You could also try blue algae for its digestive enzyme properties.

You might also want to

defloridate your water or buy non sodium fluoridated water. And when looking for toothpaste, mouthwash, or bottled water, Remember: Calcium Fluoride: good. Sodium Fluoride: bad.

Drink BLK water, add fulvic and humic minerals to your water or take them as supplements.

Drink AS10 Space Drink which contains Cupuacu, Acai Berry, Acerola Berry, Prickly Pear, Bayberry, Red Wine Extract, Green Tea, Pomegranate, Broccoli, Kale, and Wild Berries.

Sleep completely in the dark and make sure to either catch the morning sunrise or sunset to get vitamin D and help regulate your pineal gland to release melatonin correctly and help with SAD (seasonal depression).

I find the best ways to take medication or supplements is with Hoist Isotonic Formula (for quick absorption) or a water high in electrolytes.

Also Essiac tea is supposed to help with high blood pressure, ADHD, behavioral disorders, and mood swings. You can get it in tea or pill form.

I am still going to find a new RX doc in my area, and a doctor to help me regulate the supplements I'm taking (and i'll probably do some tests to see if these supplements are benefiting my blood and health levels) but for now these are doing it for me (or at least the placebo effect is working).

Good luck.

Edit: forgot to mention eating lots of mango and taking lemongrass extract to get as much myrcene in your diet as possible.

sarahsweets
04-08-13, 04:09 AM
one must be careful with supplements, especially the list you provided. You dont know if they are all safe to take together and they arent regulated by the FDA so you might end up getting more than you bargained for.

Lost4815
04-08-13, 02:37 PM
Absolutely true, I recommend you research to see which of those are MAOIs and make sure to tell your doctor you are doing this. Maybe start with only a few of these. Many of those are just things that we need in our diet. If you can find healthy fruits and vegetables that these are extracted from, try to eat those first.

If you are going to try the whole thing, make sure to take regular health tests to make sure you aren't hurting yourself.

Twiggy
04-08-13, 03:48 PM
From personal experience, those supplements don't really help all that much. I tried 90% of the ones that you listed, since I have a heart condition and was wary of being on stimulants again.
Regular ADHD medications actually help and they're way less expensive compared to all those supplements.

Lunacie
04-08-13, 05:10 PM
The only supplement that I'm aware of having had any research done that
shows a positive effect is fish oil (omega 3). There are a couple of us on
this forum who find it quite helpful, and it didn't take months to notice the
benefit.

Lost4815
04-08-13, 05:56 PM
I found a few new companies that will make you a custom supplement and even help you market it. I wanted to see if they could possibly do the research to see which of these supplements would be most beneficial, and then have them make me a supply.

Chemist82
04-13-13, 12:02 AM
I think you need to weight the expected gain against the potential harm. I'm all about the minimum effective dose. Through trial and error, I have found that too much fish oil is bad, zinc at night is bad, agmatine at night is bad, and noopept at night is bad (also, that noopept capsules don't work). But, in the knowledge that fish oils work and some have reported results from vinpocetine and noopept, I persisted. As gross as it is, I chew a tablet of 10 mg vinpocetine in the morning along with 10 mg of noopept under the tongue. I top that up with 1200 mg (720 mg EPA/DHA), 25 mg zinc (50 was too much) and a B-50 complex with choline. At night, I take 125 mg magnesium (250 was too much), 10 mg vinpocetine, the omega-3 and the B-50 again. And it works! That's the strange thing. I was taking 10 mg Adderall XR, but I would take a break on the weekend. After about a month, I noticed that my days were better without Adderall, that I didn't need it anymore even at work.

I also let myself be human and take a nap in the evening when I get home from work. That's almost impossible on Adderall.

Lately I bought a bunch of new things to try. My memory is still terrible (better than it used to be, but not good), so I've started with adding agmatine. I tried it at night and didn't sleep worth a dam. So, I took a day off and tried it the next day (today is day two). It hasn't caused any negative effects and I'll continue down that path to see if there's a positive effect. If I think there's one, I'll cut it out and see if the effect goes away.

Best of luck.