View Full Version : Appetite on focalin comapred to ritalin?


jonny87
03-19-13, 11:18 AM
I've tried ritalin before but I don't like the appetite suppressing effect of it, and plus it didn't seem overly great for my concentration.

For those who have tried both focalin and ritalin, did you find focins appetite suppressant effects any less than ritalin? What about other side effects?

And did it help more with adhd than ritalin?

Thanks

karbouris
03-19-13, 12:27 PM
I was on it for about a week. At a lower dose, it didn't. If you have impulse control , ocd, or depressive issues then no,ritalin would be a better choice.

Jake the Dog
03-21-13, 11:30 AM
I usually don't have any appetite at all until the Focalin wears off later in the day. I can only speak for myself (and you know how reaction to these meds all depends entirely on the individual), but I've found that Focalin's appetite suppression is by far the most significant of any ADHD med I've tried. But for me, it is also much, much more effective than Ritalin in helping control ADHD symptoms, and so I stick with it.

Ritalin didn't really affect me one way or the other. But with Metadate CD, I was actually gaining weight from an appetite increase.

jonny87
03-22-13, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the replies. Every adhd med and antidepressant I have tried lowers my appetite, and I am skinny and trying to put on weight so this is not good for me. The worst was dexedrine which made me go from 168 punds to 143 pounds (Im 6 foot 3) so I looked anorexic.

Ritalin did a similar thing but not as bad as the dex, but then the reason i stopped ritalin was because it didn't help enough to justify the loss of appetite. And plus I may not have taken it for long enough for the appetite to come back because it wasn't doign enough for my adhd and so I changed to dexedrine.

If focalin is more effective then it will be worth taking it if there is only a little appetite loss. I'll try it and see how it goes.

It suprises me that metadate increased your appetite because its still methyphenidate i think. Did you find that Metadate CD was effective for your adhd?

Jake the Dog
03-22-13, 09:21 AM
It suprises me that metadate increased your appetite because its still methyphenidate i think. Did you find that Metadate CD was effective for your adhd?

Metadate CD was the second most effective ADHD med for me of the ones I tried; it was actually more consistent for me than the Focalin (although not as effective when the Focalin actually works, which unfortunately varies day-to-day). The main reason I ended up switching from Metadate CD was the odd time release; only 27% of the med is released initially and the other 73% released incrementally, and that didn't work for me because I need to be at my sharpest in the morning hours for my job. Focalin XR has a 50/50 time release, with 50% released initially and the other 50% 4 hours later--much better for being productive and (somewhat) organized in the morning hours.