View Full Version : How is therapy supposed to help me?

fuzzybaffy
01-28-05, 11:44 PM
I've been seeing a therapist that was provided by the school for about a couple of months now, and I'm not sure how this is supposed to help me.

I have issues with anger, surrounding my friends, my dad, and women. I seem to get myself into destructive friendships/relationships, and I've never had a real established relationship in my entire life yet (I'm 20). I have problems getting close to people, and I have issues with social anxiety and depression.

The therapist at the moment only seems to want to get my issues fixed with medications. He says my anger is a result of ADHD, thus he wants me to get it sorted it out with meds. Yet, he doesn't address WHY I get angry with people. And he wants me to fix my problems with anxiety through meds as well.

So I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to get out of this? What is psychotherapy for, then? Am I just seeing the wrong person? In what ways is this supposed to help? Perhaps it isn't the best to seek counseling through the school? He almost makes it seem I have no problems at all, and that I'm just a perfectly fine young man - yet something in the back of my mind tells me I need to get some things fixed; I haven't been living my life the way I was supposed to live it. I'm just so incredibly frustrated right now.

Ian
01-29-05, 02:09 AM
It's up to me to lead the way when we know what it is that needs attention.

All of those things you mentioned that you struggle with are valid reasons to expect to see therapy helping. When dealing with any medical professional, it's best to come prepared. They are busy people and if I want the most out of my time there I can help things along by doing my homework.

Diplomacy with doctors and the like is a fine art and well worth cultivating.

You may indeed have a "winner" and might need to move on, but I tend to stay stuck until I'm sure they have nothing left to offer me. In this way I often get smaller elements of help from a wider variety of sources.

Keep us posted.
Ian.