View Full Version : ADD and depression

wheresmykeys
01-29-05, 04:40 AM
Does anyone just fall into a random depression where you feel like you've been hit by a truck but don't really know why??

Kimalimah
01-29-05, 04:48 AM
Yes, and even though I am on an anti-depressant I still have my moments...Could it be hormonal? Another thing that does this to me is, after extremely stressful periods which I handle like a pro, when everything has settled down and all is well, I go "crash".

chameleon
01-29-05, 06:33 AM
Yes, me too. And before my Lexapro I could tell when a deep depression was coming on right before it hit, and then I would sink fast. I would stay in a very dark place for months at a time. There were never reasons for it. Had it all my adult life, can't remember if I did in childhood.
And like Kim, even on the meds I have times where I'm depressed but don't know why, but they don't get terribly deep, and they don't last more than a day or two.
Before meds, when I got depressed for a REASON, it could last a long time (longer than it warranted), now I recover pretty quickly, maybe even quicker than the event warrants.

fasttalkingmom
01-29-05, 10:35 AM
yes and for me it's hormonal...........

wheresmykeys
01-29-05, 04:37 PM
Ok, so im not alone here. I think this is partly due to a really harsh situation that I handled well and now it is all hitting me.. but still it doesn't make a lot of sense I am usually a very happy and optimistic person and very little can get to me easily. But I really don't know what Im unhappy about..

pittguy578
01-29-05, 05:53 PM
I have become depressed lately due to lack of direction in my life, and I hate my job. I feel like I am absolutely stuck at my current job, and I don't see any way out.
It really sucks. I am college educated, but I feel like doing something different for a while like delivering pizzas or driving truck...

thoughthopping
01-29-05, 07:49 PM
Yeah, I go through periods of depression on a regular basis. I used to think that there was a good reason for the depression, that it was tied to something that was going on at the time, like unemployment or difficulties in a relationship. But now I think that the depression is there no matter what and its the depression that actually contributes to problems like unemployment or difficulties in a relationship. More and more I'm beginning to believe that the ADD and depression are tied together and that they're being caused by the same thing. One reason I feel that way is that it always seems that if I have a bad ADD day, I'll be depressed that day too. Somebody on this forum posted this article that I found very intriguing. It basically claims that ADD is a bi-product of having low neurotransmitter levels, and that a lack of these neurotransmitters also cause depression, anxiety, among other health problems. It offers a great explanation for why we feel like this from time to time.

www.asktom-naturally.com/neurotransmitters.html (http://www.asktom-naturally.com/neurotransmitters.html)

pembroke
01-29-05, 11:58 PM
i won't call it depression, but every now and again i find myself thinking negative thoughts and feeling sad and being unable or unwilling to do anything.....i ususally "snap out of it" in a few days.
glad to know that once again, i am not alone!

auntchris
01-30-05, 03:06 AM
Yes it happen to me. I am not sure if it is hormonal or because it part of my bpd. I also have depression and I am on med's but they just dont seem to be enough. Meds do help but it takes time. well that is how it affects me...I think I have been like this since I was a teen, I just wast diagnosed then. auntchris:confused: