View Full Version : Has anyone here tried Klonopin (Clonazepam)

bigbowlindude
01-29-05, 02:38 PM
My DR. Prescribed it to me for when my tics get bad, it seems to be working really well, I haven't noticed any side effects at all. Previously I was taking clonopine that made me feel sleepy all the time. It is meant for anxiety, and I must admit after I started taking it I felt "relaxed" one way to put it, don't get me wrong it wasn't like a happy high or anything like it.. I just felt simply happy finally.. makes me think to myself could I have an anxiety problem? Just never have known it. I did a search on the forums it's mentioned a few times. Heres a few links I found on google
http://www.whatmeds.com/meds/clonazepam.html
http://www.drugs.com/klonopin.html
Ok just wondering if anyone else has tried it side effects they had all that stuff..

chameleon
01-29-05, 02:49 PM
My DR. Prescribed it to me for when my tics get bad, it seems to be working really well, I haven't noticed any side effects at all. Previously I was taking clonopine that made me feel sleepy all the time. It is meant for anxiety, and I must admit after I started taking it I felt "relaxed" one way to put it, don't get me wrong it wasn't like a happy high or anything like it.. I just felt simply happy finally.. makes me think to myself could I have an anxiety problem? Just never have known it. I did a search on the forums it's mentioned a few times. Heres a few links I found on google
Ok just wondering if anyone else has tried it side effects they had all that stuff..
I take it, it makes me sleepy sometimes, that's it. Only recently is it making me sleepy, since i got my adderall dose upped

neuroangel
01-29-05, 08:43 PM
I was on it about a year ago. It caused syncope and I was slurring in the mornings.

Cyndi

RhapsodyInBlue
01-29-05, 09:16 PM
I have been taking Klonopin for years. I am prescribed it for a condition called Menieres Disease. This causes attacks of terrible vertigo. It will go away one day, but only when I am deaf, so the Klonopin is prescribed to put my "inner ear" to sleep. I have only one third the attacks of vertigo on Klonopin than I would have without, so it is buying me time.

Side effects? It does make me sleepy. But only if I am very tired. Otherwise, I feel nothing, and I am on 4mg only at night. It's a long acting drug, so the nightly dose lasts until the following day.

I doubt it helps my ADD. Possibly makes me more dreamy, but rather that than deaf yet.

I was told the dose has to be worked up until you are on the dose that works for you. As I suffer anxiety/depression from PTSD, I can tell you that for me it does nothing to help with anxiety for me.

I do get a little more saliva in my mouth from it LOL***, but nothing anyone else would notice, and that's ok for my teeth. :) Please let us know what dose you are prescribed, and how you feel on it.

bigbowlindude
02-09-05, 03:50 PM
Yea, I saw sleepiness was a side effect.. I stopped taking Clonidine, in place of this. Clonidine would just knock me out.. on the bus I'd be out cold.. at work I'd have huge bags under my eyes.. The drowsiness Klonopin causes is nothing compared to Clonidine. I'm not feeling quite as good as I use to but so far I haven't had my TS go into overload yet(which is good).

ApeMan
03-03-05, 05:38 AM
I just popped 3 0.5mg tablets before writing this.

I was prescribed Clonazepam a while back, with instructions to try it to see if it would help with attention problems, (possibly by reducing anxiety), and/or to use it only when I need it. I'm not sure I noticed anything beneficial when I tried it. Now I use it only once a week or even every few weeks, when I can't fall asleep, (for example, if my mind won't stop racing...:eek: ). I'll pop 3 0.5mg tablets, with the hope that it'll put me out in about an hour or so. I hate to waste precious sleeping time... since I don't often get more than 6 hours, and sometimes less.

I'm also currently taking 3 18mg Concerta tablets every morning. I just switched from Adderall since the ban in Canada began. It seems to work a little bit, but I can't really tell how long it's active, or whether I should increase to 4 tablets. I'm not noticing any side effects, which is unusual for me having been on Adderall (off and on) for 8 months. And I also need to drink a little caffeine in the afternoon/evening to keep me going with school work into the night (I try to call it quits by about 11:30pm every night). By the way, I'm a 23 yr old Engineering student. Please let me know if anyone has some similar experiences/insights they'd like to share.

I just got an idea that tomorrow I'm going to increase my dose of Concerta to 4 18mg tablets, and see what happens... Ok I feel that the clonazpam is starting to hit me now, so I'm off to hit the sack which is right next to me as I type this. I'm looking forward to a nice relaxing night. I love my bed. And it's so rewarding to lay down with my special ($100 US) pillow. I wouldn't part with it for anything.

Ok sorry for the long story. I hope it helps someone or prompts some feedback.

Thanks for listening.

Apeman

Gypsy
03-13-05, 01:35 AM
I'm wary about taking clonazapam, even though I think it helps me with my tics, and also helps me sleep, because it's a very addictive med, and a very stable friend of mine committed suicide while addicted to clonazapam. My dr will not Rx it to me. So, please just be careful. Thanks!

Mee
03-13-05, 01:41 AM
Of all the benzos I think it is the worst ............ It is prescribed becuase it has a long long half life ... and is almost impossible to taper off of .

bigbowlindude
03-18-05, 03:17 PM
I'm sorry, what are Benzo's? It has really helped my tics, not yet addicting I've noticed.. I've missed doses before I'm RX'd 1-3 times daily. I take 2 and 3 if I don't feel good, or if I'm going to a public sorta place (so I hopefully don't freak out too much).
I am sorry to hear about your friend Gypsy. :( I am trying to watch it, I guess I wouldn't know if I became addicted.. what feelings there would be.
I take it every morning when I get to work (7:00am), but on the weekends I'll forget about it and not take it untill 11 to noon.. not realize it..

Gypsy
03-19-05, 09:27 PM
Hey Big! Just wondering (without looking at other posts) what ADHD meds you may be on, in addition to Clonazapam. Perhaps when you don't take it, the add meds pic up the slack. ?? When I took it, I only took 1 pill, and it just about put me to sleep. So the higher dosage you're on, I think the more you're likely to become addicted. Anyway, just be careful. We need you! ;) Thanks for your kind words about my friend.

"Benzodiazepines (BZDs) are sedative-hypnotic agents that were first introduced in 1960. Benzodiazepines commonly are used for a variety of situations that include seizure control, anxiety, alcohol withdrawal, insomnia, control of drug-associated agitation, as muscle relaxants, and as preanesthetic agents. They also are combined frequently with other medications for conscious sedation before procedures or interventions."

bigbowlindude
03-21-05, 12:11 AM
Hey Gypsy! Other then the Clonidine that I stopped taking nothing yet. I am currently working with my physiatrist to find an apporiate ADD medication. I was going to take Strattera, but my insurance doesn't cover it, $90 U.S. a month! I found this other stuff called Desipramine thanks to Jennx I am going to ask my doctor about it. Here is a link to it.
http://www.whatmeds.com/meds/norpramin.html
I have heard some people taking it(Clonazapam) really knocking them out, me not so much. Those side effects seem to go away after awhile, it made me feel really loopy the first time I took it. I hardly notice it now.(I think I'm now repeating myself)

RhapsodyInBlue
03-21-05, 01:03 PM
To all of you taking Clonazepam, please be careful. It IS a great med, but Dr's don't tell you what the withdrawals are like.

I was immediately placed on 4mg a night. I felt nothing, but I wake up during general surgical procedures, too. I must have a strange metabolism, so I feel nothing.

Now I am tapering down, and have successfully taken my dosage down half a mg. I had a few sleepless nights between cuts, and a good scalpel came in use :eek: .no, I don't carve people up, I use it for cutting canvas to paint on;)...

I don't know whether I will be able to come off of all my clonazepam because it's the only drug I can take that treats my Menieres Disease [late stage bi-lateral], and I treasure my hearing. But I was never given a chance on a lower dose, and then titrate up. This was almost a decade ago. Not once have I abused the drug, or taken a higher dose. Forgotten them? Yes.

Withdrawals are not fun, and one side effect is a terrible depression. Darker and deeper than a normal blue feeling. I don't like it, and would never like to think one of you went through it because you weren't informed.

I should have known better. I had a Pharmacy book. I didn't think to look.

Gypsy is right. Please.......be careful :) This drug is powerful. Very.

jaz-z0r
02-08-06, 10:56 AM
I was on Clonazepam 0.5MG tablets for a longwhile for my panic attacks. Although it never seemed to help, so I was taken off of them. I never heard that it could help with tourettes. I'll research that now.

Scattered
02-08-06, 01:20 PM
My husband was taking Klonopin for Restless Leg Syndrom (constantly shaking leg when resting or sleeping -- I wonder if it's not related to Tourettes, because it's this thing that you feel like you have to move your leg and pressure builds until you do). Anyway, the Klonopin did help, but he was groggy in the morning, so he eventually quit. He was also worried about the addictive potential.

Scattered