View Full Version : What does Clonazepam do?

Zaashy
03-24-13, 04:29 AM
I been on it for three days and I still don't know what it suppose to do.
I take it around 7pm and I got to bed about 11pm and that has not changed
prior to taking it.

My doctor thinks it anxiety rather than BPDii so I'm just going with it. He replaced my risperdal with clonazepam.

Abi
03-24-13, 04:31 AM
Dose?

BellaVita
03-24-13, 07:11 AM
Mine just calms me down a bit/helps me sleep..

Shabazz
03-24-13, 12:17 PM
Clonazepam is a pretty strong benzo & also technically an anticonvulsant. I think it is used mostly for generalized anxiety and panic.

From what I understand it's not a prn med, but rather a med that is best taken on a regularly scheduled time & dose. Has a long half-life. It definitely helps my anxiety.

Zaashy
03-24-13, 02:21 PM
I take 0,5mg and I took it at night and it didn't help with the insomnia. I decided to take it with my anti-depressant in AM and still nada. I'm going try to take another dose at PM.

Is it something you have to take a week before effectiveness or maybe the anti-d's are counter-acting.

BellaVita
03-24-13, 02:53 PM
I take 0,5mg and I took it at night and it didn't help with the insomnia. I decided to take it with my anti-depressant in AM and still nada. I'm going try to take another dose at PM.

Is it something you have to take a week before effectiveness or maybe the anti-d's are counter-acting.

Could be that 0.5mg isn't enough for you.
Maybe your doc will increase your dose.

For me, I notice the effects of it immediately. Although sometimes, if I'm too hyper/high-strung it doesn't have much effect..
What type of antidepressant are you on?

Shabazz
03-24-13, 06:48 PM

What is your antidepressant?

You might or might not feel the effects immediately. Since klonopin has such a long half-life, the drug's effects will continue to increase the longer you take it & as your blood levels increase.

I started at 0.5mg & that clobbered me something fierce straightaway. But I was switching fom Valium which is much weaker.

How long have you been off the risperdal? Coming down off that might make it difficult to accurately discern what exactly the klonopin is doing.

oneup
03-24-13, 09:43 PM
klonopin (@0.5mg) equaled chill time, for me. Maybe a little groggy, but it didn't knock me out. It was great for stress / anxiety, and worked all day, but from what I remember, didn't knock me out, although my sleep was not as refreshing. I took it in the am for like 3 months at that dose, so that it didn't affect my sleep. It worked right away. At 1.5 mg though, I was sleeping all the time.

Zaashy
03-25-13, 03:07 AM
Could be that 0.5mg isn't enough for you.
Maybe your doc will increase your dose.

For me, I notice the effects of it immediately. Although sometimes, if I'm too hyper/high-strung it doesn't have much effect..
What type of antidepressant are you on?

I moved from citalopram(cilift 25mg) to escitalopram(cipralex 10mg).

What is your antidepressant?

You might or might not feel the effects immediately. Since klonopin has such a long half-life, the drug's effects will continue to increase the longer you take it & as your blood levels increase.

I started at 0.5mg & that clobbered me something fierce straightaway. But I was switching fom Valium which is much weaker.

How long have you been off the risperdal? Coming down off that might make it difficult to accurately discern what exactly the klonopin is doing.

I been 2 months off risperdal, could the cipralex have the same effects as
clonazepam?