View Full Version : Recently Prescribed - BusPar ?????

ThatOneChic
03-25-13, 11:35 AM
Is anyone familiar with this medication or it's effectiveness? I am told (by physician) that it will take 2 weeks, minimum, of consistent use in order to feel any of the benefits that it has to offer. I have not heard of this medication before and I don't recall ever coming across it in any of the threads or blogs that I have spent so much time pouring over.

I would greatly appreciate any information you could give me about this prescription

Thank you

Twiggy
03-25-13, 01:05 PM
I've heard it's best to take it with food or else you might get a bad stomach ache/nausea.
I'm curious about asking my doctor for it. Update us of how it effects you.

known_guy
03-25-13, 10:56 PM
Sorry if I sound too negative, but from what I've read (sorry, too lazy to look up specific sources), Buspar is known to be a medication that doesn't seem to do anything, for a lot of people who get prescribed it. Sort of bunk. In general, not much better than placebo, and I personally have not met anyone who, say, raves about the efficacy of Buspar.

ThatOneChic
03-29-13, 05:43 AM
So far I have noticed no change.... other than nausea, which I experience even when taking with food. But then again it hasn't been 2 weeks yet, so I suppose I shouldn't expect to notice anything yet.

Nikki16
03-29-13, 04:28 PM
If I recall Buspar takes 2-6 weeks to start working efficently

I may be wrong, but is Buspar the same medication as Wellbutrin? Don't remember were I heard that.

emily848
03-29-13, 05:00 PM
I was prescribed BuSpar years ago to counteract the anxiety caused by Zyprexa (which I was prescribed because of being misdiagnosed with BP II). First we tried Ativan, that did nothing, so Buspar was the next level up. It actually increased my anxiety quite badly and led to me quitting both it and Zyprexa. I never should have been taking either though, so it will probabyl affect you differently.

Twiggy
03-29-13, 05:52 PM
I may be wrong, but is Buspar the same medication as Wellbutrin? Don't remember were I heard that.

Nope, they're totally different meds. Wellbutrin is Bupropion. Buspar is Buspirone.

AmandaLM
09-26-13, 08:10 PM
I took Buspar all through elementary school, middle school, and high school. I took it along with my Ritalin, it worked for many years (around 15 years). I took 15 mg 3 times a day. At some point my body became too used to it, and I started suffering daily anxiety attacks in college. Now I'm on generic Prozac.

IndieVisible
09-26-13, 10:43 PM
Buspar is a anxiety medicine that's suppose to do the same thing as benzo without the addicting traits. It did nothing for me years ago except make me feel tired. I have to be 100% functional. Recent tests also showed buspar doing only 10% better then the placebo. Theres money to be made in the pharmaceutical business. Benos are atill a lot more effective and at low doses are safe unless you deliberately abuse them. Good luck! By all means please let us know how you made out.

fedabog
07-16-14, 02:21 AM
I was on Buspar 3 and a half years ago for anxiety. I quit taking it after two weeks because it gave me horrible "brain zaps". I hear that it's a common occurrence with Buspar.

Also, it did little for my anxiety.

itsanADHDthing
10-02-14, 07:30 PM
I started taking and while it seemed to helped a touch (If I remember correctly, it did help a little, but it was a long time ago), after a month or two, I started to get brain zaps. Actually, they felt almost like whole body zaps. Every time I would move, I would have a shock sent through my body. Needless to say, I quit taking that.

Addelicious
10-04-14, 06:07 PM
Buspar is like taking a sugar pill. Get your MD prescribe real anxiety med like xanax, ativan, etc.

Meteodan
12-17-14, 02:15 PM
I realize this is a bit of an old thread, but I wanted to relate my experience as a contrast to some of the others already posted. I was initially reticent to take Buspar, because the last two anxiolytics I've tried haven't worked out due to various bad side effects: Vistaril and citalopram. The latter is an SSRI usually prescribed for depression, but also often for anxiety.

But, I'm happy to say that Buspar so far is working very well for me: better than I expected, with virtually no side effects other than a few very mild early ones that went away after a few doses (slight dizziness and insomnia the first night). I've been on it for a little over two weeks, and am on a pretty low dose (10 mg/day).

If the OP is still reading this thread, how is it working out for you?