View Full Version : Nicotine

wowc87
03-25-13, 10:58 PM
Hello All,

I haven't been extremely active here, but I was more recently diagnosed with inattentive adhd. Since my diagnoses I've been regularly taking 10mg Adderall twice per day and on occasion experimenting with other supplements.

Today I noticed something that had a big effect on my focus, chewing tobacco. After doing some research I found this article: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/01/030114072413.htm

I'm more of a social user of chewing tobacco which to me means only about once per month if even that.

Has anyone else had this same experience?

If anyone has seen the same effect for focus, is there a safer way to get the same effect daily without the danger of using tobacco? Maybe a different supplement with a similar effect?

CountyGuy
03-26-13, 01:28 AM
use a patch like in the study, wouldn't recommend it but thats the healthiest way of getting nicotine into your system ... or nicotine gum

dvdnvwls
03-26-13, 02:10 AM
Don't start taking any supplement, or drug or whatever, without asking your doctor's opinion. I mean, chewing tobacco once or twice a month doesn't matter, but trying nicotine as a treatment is far different. Do you remember your doctor asked you back at the first appointment if you smoke? That question wasn't meant to find out if you wanted to go outside with him for a smoke break. :)

wowc87
03-28-13, 01:27 PM
I think the doctor approach is the best solution. Thank you for the responses, they are helpful.

dvdnvwls, have you experienced the same thing with nicotine? If so, was there a different treatment that you asked your doctor about?

dvdnvwls
03-28-13, 01:51 PM
I think the doctor approach is the best solution. Thank you for the responses, they are helpful.

dvdnvwls, have you experienced the same thing with nicotine? If so, was there a different treatment that you asked your doctor about?

No and no. I don't smoke and haven't tried any different treatments.

deadmau5
03-28-13, 02:10 PM
The following is my thinking alone, and not a recommendation in any way to anyone: I see nicotine's potential benefits far outweigh its risks. Nicotine alone has been proven to increase cognitive performance, enhance moods, and even help with weight loss. Ive personally experienced all of the fore mentioned. Clinical studies are continually finding many positive effects of nicotine treatment across a broad spectrum of diseases and disorders. Most of the negative effects are heart related or from withdrawal. High blood pressure, irregular heart beat, and increased risk of cardiovascular disease are some of the possible negatives. Even taking into account the negatives I would much rather take the risk of nicotine treatment to improve my symptoms.

proileri
03-31-13, 02:39 PM
use a patch like in the study, wouldn't recommend it but thats the healthiest way of getting nicotine into your system ... or nicotine gum

Yep, nicotine patches, gums or one of those electric cigarette things should work. Nicotine is a stimulant, it works as a MAOI (form of antidepressant) keeping neurotransmitter levels up, but tobacco smoke contains a lot of different substances that negatively affect this effect, IIRC. Hence it's a lot smarter to take the nicotine in some purified form.

Nicotine has been researched a bit in context of ADD, after noticing that people with ADD are more likely to be smokers. There's been at least a couple of studies where nicotine has shown benefit for ADHD patients, such as http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15083253

Vector
03-31-13, 09:30 PM
Yes, I use nicotine as part of my treatment against adhd. In my experience the sucking tablets are the best vehicle. I use 10-12mg of nicotine per day.