View Full Version : Clothing? And other sensory issues.

Nyxness
03-26-13, 12:31 AM
Ever since I was very young, I've been extremely picky when it comes to clothing. For years, I would refuse to wear jeans and cry if I had to, they were so uncomfortable. When I started 9th grade, I forced myself to start weari g jeans. I still hated them, but I wore them every day. Half the time they were all I could think about, but at least I wasn't that loser who wears sweat pants every day. Now I'm in 12th grade, and I just can't do it anymore. Even the thought of putting on a pair of jeans is stressful to me. They're just so unbearably uncomfortable. I have other issues with clothing too, but jeans are the most notable.

I'm very picky when it comes to comfort in general. Going to bed, my pajamas and blanket have to be a certain way or I can only focus on how uncomfortable they are and I can't sleep.

It's the same way with other senses, as well. If something seems "off" in my vision, like something in front of me isn't straight or anything seems out of place, I can't let it alone until it's fixed. If a particular hall light outside my room is on, I can't work until it's off. Even random little things can seem "off" to me, and I can't focus on anything else until they're fixed. It's almost like a physical discomfort. Noises, too: If someone is popping gum or tapping a pencil, I simply can't focus on the task at hand.

But the inability to wear jeans, and finding most other clothing uncomfortable too, is the worst. I dread getting dressed in the morning. Lately, if jeans are the only things that are clean for me to wear, I'll pretend to be sick and stay home rather than wear them all day at school.

And when a sensory issue is bothering me, I get rather irritable. I feel kind of guilty about it.

Are these sorts of things associated with ADHD? The way I've described? I just wish I could just go through a day feeling comfortable. I was hoping Adderall would help, and it has helped with other ADHD issues, but not this stuff.

dvdnvwls
03-26-13, 02:02 AM
I don't believe Adderall usually helps with this, though I could easily be wrong.

Why do you even have any jeans, if you know you're not going to wear them?

Nyxness
03-26-13, 04:59 PM
Like I said, I used to wear them every day, for all of high school until this year. They were still really uncomfortable, but I put up with it because everybody else in school wears jeans, and I didn't want to be the one to stand out, you know? Even though I'd drea putting them on every morning and take them off as soon as I'd get home.

Lunacie
03-26-13, 06:02 PM
Some people with ADHD also have Sensory Processing Disorder, but it's
more common in those with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Google SPD.

What is it about jeans that is most uncomfortable for you? I wear the kind
with an elastic waist (mama jeans). I usually buy them at the thrift shop
so they've already been laundered many times and are pretty soft.

My sheets have to be smooth, not wrinkled, or I can't sleep. Lights are very
distracting and annoying for me too. Noises are horrible, if dogs are barking
outdoors I can't get to sleep. I run an electric fan to block the sounds.

But I think for me, the sensitivity to smells is the worst part of having SPD.
Especially chemical "perfume" like air fresheners and scented laundry soap
and softeners. They actually cause a physical reaction - mainly irrational
anger and even weakness, followed by a migraine.

fperkins33
04-21-13, 09:46 AM
Ever since I was very young, I've been extremely picky when it comes to clothing. For years, I would refuse to wear jeans and cry if I had to, they were so uncomfortable. When I started 9th grade, I forced myself to start weari g jeans. I still hated them, but I wore them every day. Half the time they were all I could think about, but at least I wasn't that loser who wears sweat pants every day. Now I'm in 12th grade, and I just can't do it anymore. Even the thought of putting on a pair of jeans is stressful to me. They're just so unbearably uncomfortable. I have other issues with clothing too, but jeans are the most notable.

I'm very picky when it comes to comfort in general. Going to bed, my pajamas and blanket have to be a certain way or I can only focus on how uncomfortable they are and I can't sleep.

It's the same way with other senses, as well. If something seems "off" in my vision, like something in front of me isn't straight or anything seems out of place, I can't let it alone until it's fixed. If a particular hall light outside my room is on, I can't work until it's off. Even random little things can seem "off" to me, and I can't focus on anything else until they're fixed. It's almost like a physical discomfort. Noises, too: If someone is popping gum or tapping a pencil, I simply can't focus on the task at hand.

But the inability to wear jeans, and finding most other clothing uncomfortable too, is the worst. I dread getting dressed in the morning. Lately, if jeans are the only things that are clean for me to wear, I'll pretend to be sick and stay home rather than wear them all day at school.

And when a sensory issue is bothering me, I get rather irritable. I feel kind of guilty about it.

Are these sorts of things associated with ADHD? The way I've described? I just wish I could just go through a day feeling comfortable. I was hoping Adderall would help, and it has helped with other ADHD issues, but not this stuff.

I mentioned my irritable-ness sensory issues to a potential new therapist and she came right back with, well, your CNS is constantly irritated, so yeah, you are going to be very irritable. I already knew this in various ways, but it did help a bit for me to counter a lifetime of messages about being picky & difficult, and with the guilt about all of those "over-reactions" I've had.

I cannot wear jeans. This still freaks me out a bit, since I hardly ever wore anything else since grade school (so many, many decades, many, many pairs of jeans) But in the last year or so (since dx), I started getting physically irritated by them, so I have gotten rid of many pairs. Lately I don't even like to see the few pairs that are still there. I assumed I could at least still wear the workjeans I have for yard and garden stuff. Tried that the other day and not a chance. Even the thought right now of wearing them makes me wince a little.

I've gone from basically having to have all my clothes be a little bit baggy and oversized to my ideal outfit probably being a pair of compression shorts and a wick-away shirt. It seems so counter-intuitive to me that the tights I've been wearing the past few months are actually truly comfortable since I would have said that clothing right next to my skin would be extremely irritating. I don't know much about it, but for me, it's making me wonder about whether it's the constancy vs. intermittent contact that makes a difference.

I don't know about the connections to adhd specifically and I know just by slight reference that there is some stuff about compression being useful for aspects of autism. (I mean, that's the sum total right there of what I know about that topic. :o)

At any rate, hope you have been able to figure out something that is comfortable enough with adding more stress to deal with at school.

Miss Steph
06-02-13, 10:13 AM
I can't wear socks with seams on my toes or I will have to fold them over. My daughter cannot wear jeans for the same reasons you described. She also won't wear shirts that are smocked at the top or anything remotely tight. Both of us like to rub silky material through our fingers.

Fraser_0762
06-02-13, 10:17 AM
I never used to wear jeans at all as a kid. I wear them all the time now though and never really have any problems with them.

I am picky with certain materials though. Some are just unbearable to touch, like some kind of allergic reaction.

AlphabetSoupMom
06-03-13, 12:55 AM
My daughter (7) hates jeans, unless they are the jean look but not feel, like well worn out denim but not true jeans. She says they are tight or itchy and won't wear them usually unless they are a size or 2 too big, then sometimes they are loose enough where she doesn't have a problem. She also hates jeans that gap in the back when she leans forward and can't stand cargo style pockets.

She also has issues with any tags in shirts and if the pants tags stick out too much and are itchy through the back of her panties she complains about that as well and will do anything to get out of wearing them up to and including peeing her pants because she knows she will have to change them at that point.

She started the school year loving leggings but now they are just too tight. She also has to stretch her socks out before putting them on even though they are the right size but they feel tight, otherwise they will bother her all day.

Basically her wardrobe consists of tagless shirts and yoga style pants, jersey material or fleecy for winter, so you are not alone. She does have some good luck with some khaki pants from target, but these days all pants seem to be skinny jeans and it is getting harder and harder to get pants that are not skin tight except from thrift stores.