View Full Version : blame it on the mania...

Special-Ks
03-27-13, 10:51 AM
Have you ever had a really good couple of days/a good week, and started to reflect on how things are really starting to look up, only to realize you might just be having a manic/hypomanic episode?

I had a really tough work week, but powered through everything while being more social with my coworkers. I started feeling a sense of belonging that I hadn't felt yet.

The other night I was trying to sleep, but had trouble. As I lay there, I started paying attention to how my mind was racing with positive optimistic thoughts. Even after realizing it was now 2:00 a.m., I was still wide awake, I felt zero concern, and almost no fatigue.

I might have to blame it on the mania, because I'm back to my "Meh" self. Anyone know whadda mean?

Fuzzy12
03-27-13, 10:57 AM
Yes, I think, I know what you mean. I only get hypomanic and I've just been diagnosed with BP II. Till my diagnosis, I thought my periods of hypomania were just moment of normal happiness. I thought I was lucky that I could feel that happy, that euphoric, that connected, etc. When I was first diagnosed it was difficult to accept that my periods of happiness were just part of a disorder, that they weren't anything healthy or something to be sought.

Now, when I get hypomanic, it still feels good but there's always the underlying guilt that I shouldn't feel so relieved to be hypomanic because it's just another symptom of my disorder. And I know that sooner or later I will crash again into depression.

keliza
03-28-13, 04:26 PM
Just so you know, I am now singing a modified version of "Blame it on the Alcohol" but with the lyrics, "Blame it on the brain, blame it on the clinic, blame it on the pills that just don't really fix it, blame it on the ma-a-a-a-a-ania, blame it on the ma-a-a-a-a-ania..."

Anyway.

Yes, I definitely understand that feeling. But I try not to discount the positive feelings I'm having just because they might be mania-related. I figure, don't look a gift horse in the mouth, you know? If you're feeling good and it's not a destructive or excessive level of good, then just let it happen. Enjoy it for what it is, whatever may be causing it, whether it's mania or hypomania or just a really good week for you. Of course, treat it like the severe medical condition it is if it starts to get out of hand... but if things are just mild and enjoyable and there's no harm being caused, then you might as well embrace happiness however it comes to you.

Zaashy
04-04-13, 07:38 AM
Have you ever had a really good couple of days/a good week, and started to reflect on how things are really starting to look up, only to realize you might just be having a manic/hypomanic episode?

I had a really tough work week, but powered through everything while being more social with my coworkers. I started feeling a sense of belonging that I hadn't felt yet.

The other night I was trying to sleep, but had trouble. As I lay there, I started paying attention to how my mind was racing with positive optimistic thoughts. Even after realizing it was now 2:00 a.m., I was still wide awake, I felt zero concern, and almost no fatigue.

I might have to blame it on the mania, because I'm back to my "Meh" self. Anyone know whadda mean?

I'm going through the same thing right now.

daveddd
04-04-13, 07:43 AM
Just so you know, I am now singing a modified version of "Blame it on the Alcohol" but with the lyrics, "Blame it on the brain, blame it on the clinic, blame it on the pills that just don't really fix it, blame it on the ma-a-a-a-a-ania, blame it on the ma-a-a-a-a-ania..."

Anyway.

Yes, I definitely understand that feeling. But I try not to discount the positive feelings I'm having just because they might be mania-related. I figure, don't look a gift horse in the mouth, you know? If you're feeling good and it's not a destructive or excessive level of good, then just let it happen. Enjoy it for what it is, whatever may be causing it, whether it's mania or hypomania or just a really good week for you. Of course, treat it like the severe medical condition it is if it starts to get out of hand... but if things are just mild and enjoyable and there's no harm being caused, then you might as well embrace happiness however it comes to you.

thats crazy, i was singing the same modified song in my head when i read the title:lol: