View Full Version : 504 help Please

frogspond
03-27-13, 02:01 PM
My ds is in second grade with adhd and sensory issues. His teacher recommeneded a 504 so he can extra time on testing. During the 504 process he was evaluated by the OT and found to have sensory issues as well. After the last 504 meeting which I didn't sign the form for yet there were three things the school wanted to put on his 504

1. Warning for transitions.
2. Using a wiggly seat.
3. Extra time and or breaking up a test and possibly moving to a quieter area if there is the staffing available (but not promising this as they may not have the staffing)

The school staff did not want to include any 'universal' accommodations like:
-being able to stand while taking a test
-using hand fidgets
-preferential seating
-or many of the other recommendations by the OT

Is this normal for the school not to want to include 'universal' accommodations? The school was also suggesting that even the accommodations listed on the 504 really fell under universal accommodations and perhaps he doesn't need a 504 at all.

Also the OT found that he wasn't forming his letters in the correct way but is not far enough behind (would need to be 1.5 to 2 years behind) in handwriting to qualify for service so turfed it to me to do at home. Now the caveat is we are out of district (as our local school is the pits) so I feel I can't push it too much. Are there any recommendations on if the school is being reasonable or not and how to proceed?

Lunacie
03-27-13, 03:29 PM
Good for you for not signing the plan if you think your child needs other
accomodations!

If you think other accomodations would be helpful, list them in a letter or
email so it's documented that you want more help for your child.

If they refuse to discuss it with you or flat out deny the accomodations,
you can ask for mediation.

Always try to work towards coming up with a plan that will help your child
rather than being confrontational. But stick to your guns when necessary.

frogspond
03-27-13, 03:38 PM
Good idea on documenting it. Thxs.

Have you heard of schools not wanting to put accommodations into a 504 that are 'universal' accommodations? What are 'universal' accommodations?

Lunacie
03-27-13, 04:20 PM
I haven't heard of "universal accomodations." Every child is different and
may need different accomodations. But if you're patient, there are a couple
of other posters here who know more about the process with IEPs and 504s
and maybe they'll be able to help you more. All I'm sure of is to document
- document - document. If it's not in writing, they don't have to do it.

APSJ
03-27-13, 07:46 PM
If, by universal accommodations, they mean that those are things all students are allowed to do, perhaps they don't wish to list them as 'accommodations' because it implies they do not otherwise make them available since accommodations typically means exceptions of some kind.

If that's not what they meant by accommodations and they actually mean the 'universal' accommodations are things they are unwilling to allow him to do, I've never encountered such a category before and it's hard to imagine it justifying denial of necessary accommodations.

To clarify the legal status of the school's position, it might be helpful to speak to an attorney or advocate in your area. One place to find one is here: http://www.copaa.org/search/custom.asp?id=643

LynneC
03-27-13, 08:04 PM
Good idea on documenting it. Thxs.

Have you heard of schools not wanting to put accommodations into a 504 that are 'universal' accommodations? What are 'universal' accommodations?
I think you need to ask them what 'universal accomodations' are. Hand fidgets and being allowed to stand when needed are not universal in any way, as far as I know...

frogspond
03-28-13, 12:46 AM
I tried to get an understanding of 'universal accomodations' from the principal and the best I can grasp is that it's accommodations the teachers already make or can make in class for my son or other kids. The principal also seems to be suggesting the kids don't really need a 504 until middle school where they have different teachers all day. One of my concerns and I did bring it up with the principal is that if these 'universal accommodations' are made by one teacher they don't necessarily get passed down and followed by the next years teacher. Additionally I found out the OT evaluation doesn't stay in his file and the recommendations don't get passed down to the next teacher the following year. I was told that his teacher may write down certain things that work and pass it onto the next teacher but it would also be up to me have a conversation with the next teacher and make sure we are all on the same page; seems like an easy way for accommodations to get missed or misconstrued.

I really don't get the point of a 504 if the school is only going to include a few items but not others that they consider 'universal' but I don't really see other kids having as accommodations on a frequent basis.

sarahsweets
03-28-13, 04:28 AM
unless your son is not very impaired if at all, i dont see how a 504 could help him. Considering he is receiving OT, that in itself suggests something beyond universal or standard for accomodations. He probably needs an IEP and the school districts are not always motivated by what is best for the child, alot of times they are motivated by whats best for the school budget. Testing takes time and money. Accomodations take and money. Schools wont admit it in their manifesto, but its much more beneficial to reduce the number of special needs services than increase them. Its a sick reality. If they can get parents to suck it up and be satisfied from their semi-performing child's accomadations then they look at it as a bonus. Its the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. I suggest you look up wrights law or PRISE. Then I suggest you send a written request (not email) to the schools special services dept or child study team. They have to respond and evaluate your child or provide ample reasons why they cant.