View Full Version : Tips for Muscle Recovery

saturday
03-27-13, 10:15 PM
Its spring and Im in the up-swing of things again. I thought I would start a thread on muscle recovery since recovery is just as important as the work out its self.

Here is a current link on muscle recovery that I read earlier today:
http://www.peertrainer.com/fitness/muscle-recovery.aspx

Any other tips are most welcome.

What works for you?

Tyler Durden
03-27-13, 11:39 PM
Sometimes if i have a tough leg workout ill stand under a cold shower for a few seconds, never tried an ice bath but i don't have a bath to use.

peripatetic
03-27-13, 11:54 PM
i've sone ice bathsafrter really long runs. they're brutal. they do help though, espeically if you're training up. brutal though. seriously. if you can force yourself to do it i would go for it, particularly useful if yu're training for several days in a row.

slouchpotato
03-28-13, 07:42 PM
Plenty of water to flush the toxins out, and if your diet is like mine, theres plenty of toxins! why do they taste sooo good!!!?

Learn to stretch properly before and after when muscles are warm, you cant make a horse shoe from cold steel!

proileri
03-31-13, 12:42 AM
A bit of light exercise a few hours after a heavy workout has been great for me. 20 minutes of walking etc. to get the blood flowing in the muscles, then a decent stretching session.

Also, what I hear good things about is foam rollers. They seem to allow you to massage muscles pretty efficiently at home. The idea is that you put a sturdy foam/plastic tube on the floor, position yourself so any sore muscle lays on the roller, and then use your body weight and rolling motion to massage it.

BobbyDrake
04-02-13, 08:50 AM
One thing I've noticed since I've started working out again is when weightlifting, don't start with the heaviest weight possible. Ramp it up, do three sets of reps at lower weights, adding on weight until on your 4th-7th reps, you are at full weight. For example, yesterday doing machine military presses, I did a 5 rep set at 50lbs, then 70, then 75, then 80 then I did 3x5 at 90lbs. Today, I've only got a little soreness at the shoulder, not enough to bother me at all. I should be able to hit 100+ next week at the latest. I'm lifting heavier weights than I ever have before with little to no soreness and I've only been seriously lifting again for a week and a half.

MellyFishButt
04-02-13, 10:10 AM
Yes but how would I actually get IN to the gym when there are so many wonderful excuses out there for me to use? ;)

proileri
04-02-13, 12:28 PM
Yes but how would I actually get IN to the gym when there are so many wonderful excuses out there for me to use? ;)

I've found out that getting to the gym is most of the battle! The moment you set your foot inside, things start to happen on their own. So, the solution.. think "I'll just visit the place and won't do anything much.. maybe just 15 minutes of treadmill or something.." - and then you come home 1,5 hours later, totally wasted, thinking you really need to learn how to take it easier by next time :p