View Full Version : Taking Ambien for sleep now (question)

silivrentoliel
03-28-13, 08:04 AM
I've never actually taken a proper sleep medication before... no one ever seemed to believe that I've always had insomnia and only slept through the night maybe 10 times in my life (from age 4 on).

I'm only on the 3rd morning after taking it, and while I'll admit I did go to bed at a "normal" time... today's my day off... and I woke up *by myself* at like 6:40am.

Does anyone else take Ambien and feel that it just "goes away" after about 8 hours?

I was kind of hoping to sleep in today:giggle:

sarahsweets
03-28-13, 08:14 AM
I dont think its meant to last more than 8 hours is it?

Joker_Girl
03-28-13, 01:33 PM
Yes, I really like it, because it doesn't make me drowsy the next day. All benzos make me feel horrible and drugged, and the same with benedryl and otc sleep aids.

The only thing I hate is that sometimes if I just take a half one, I will wake up at 4 am or something. But it works like a charm, and seems to wear off completely by morning.

dvdnvwls
03-28-13, 01:59 PM
If it didn't go away after 8 hours it would be a major problem. People would be driving to work while drugged.

silivrentoliel
03-28-13, 04:41 PM
If it didn't go away after 8 hours it would be a major problem. People would be driving to work while drugged.

I've had other meds that don't wear off when they are supposed too....

I dont think its meant to last more than 8 hours is it?

I never have had a sleep medicine wear off when it's supposed too.... lol, guess it's about time I find something that does :)

dvdnvwls
03-28-13, 05:02 PM
Ambien has a reputation for being unlike others. Some people find it very useful - others seem to think it's evil.

Its potentially very weird effects on awake behaviours seems to be part of the "evil" side of it. (i.e. when you take it, go to bed; don't try to stay awake and do things while it's in your system.)

silivrentoliel
03-28-13, 05:04 PM
Ambien has a reputation for being unlike others. Some people find it very useful - others seem to think it's evil.

Its potentially very weird effects on awake behaviours seems to be part of the "evil" side of it. (i.e. when you take it, go to bed; don't try to stay awake and do things while it's in your system.)

yeah... doc told me about that one.

Raye
04-05-13, 06:35 AM
Are you still taking the ambien Siliv? How's it working out now?

I took it for a while. It put me right to sleep but I woke up after only 3-4 hrs.

silivrentoliel
04-05-13, 02:22 PM
Raye-

yeah, I still take it. It's only been like a week and a half or so... but the effects are so-so if I'm wound up about anything. If I am in a decent mood, I fall straight asleep... otherwise, I'm still up and down all night.

I still sleep for a good 8 hrs on it... yesterday I slept for like 9 or 10 though.

Raye
04-05-13, 08:45 PM
wow I wish it gave me those many hours. P***** me off too. I didn't have any side effects from it.

Cyllya
04-07-13, 04:24 PM
Alas, Ambien didn't stop me from waking sporadically during the night. :(

Just a note of warning to anyone taking it: it can cause dependency and have withdrawal effects, so take it every night, even if you don't feel like you need it. Not only did my doctor not warn me about this, she specifically told me the opposite when I asked about it....

silivrentoliel
04-07-13, 04:42 PM
Alas, Ambien didn't stop me from waking sporadically during the night. :(

Just a note of warning to anyone taking it: it can cause dependency and have withdrawal effects, so take it every night, even if you don't feel like you need it. Not only did my doctor not warn me about this, she specifically told me the opposite when I asked about it....

oh wow... that's awful. No, I take it every night... I'm never really sleepy unless it's around this time of day... I perk up right at "bed time" ... it's annoying.

Joker_Girl
04-09-13, 04:52 PM
I perk up at bedtime, too....I hate that lol.

Sometimes if I take only a half pill (5 mg), I will wake up in the middle of the night. If it is before around 3 am, and I can't get back to sleep, I will take the other half.

Anymore, I take it practically every night, unless I am super sleepy. Otherwise it takes hours to fall asleep. I do not want to be dependant upon it, and I worry about it a great deal, but nothing else will put me to sleep so quickly and wear off by morning. Benedryl makes me feel like crap for hours the next day, and any benzo like Xanax or klonopin is even worse. I detest the notion that I "need" it to sleep, though, it makes me feel like a druggie, even though I don't think it is particularly a drug of abuse. There is no "fun". Just sleep. Blissful, refreshing, healing sleep. Aaah.

NEVER get up and mess around if it doesn't put you to sleep right away. And NEVER, EVER decide to have even one drink within hours of it. You will not remember anything, but you will be VERY VERY sappy and stupid. It didn't work right away one time and I got up to have a glass of milk and play on pinterest. I don't know what happened, but there was a little tiny bit of blackberry Merlot in the fridge, and I thought it looked tasty. It wasn't much, maybe half a glass, but I immediately got extremely stupid, texted everyone how much I loved them, ate a HALF of an angel food cake, and passed out in the recliner listening to Journey and REO Speed wagon and crying cause, "Love is soooo beautiful, man! And I love you, and I love you, and I love you!" Also, I ordered stuff off eBay.

Never again. Lol!

Lizzie80
12-18-13, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the laugh caused by your last paragraph. I needed that! :) I think we could start a "craziest things I did on Ambien because I didn't go to bed right away" thread...I definitely have a few of those.