View Full Version : Add + Ibs + Pms = Chaos (help???)

ArcangelDurango
01-30-05, 11:35 AM
Forgive me if this has been covered already, but I immediately felt at home reading your posts and thought you might be able to help. My second attempt at Weight Watchers was going so well... for the first three weeks. Now I've fallen back into compulsive eating habits and I can't seem to make myself exercise. On top of that, I'm a vegetarian with IBS issues (soy gives me problems).

Anyone?

milauran
01-30-05, 02:09 PM
Welcome Arc,

Many of us struggle with overeating issues so you are certainly not alone. It has been a life long struggle for me with varying degrees of success. One of the most important keys for me is to be able to forgive myself and get back on track. If I have a bad day or two because my schedule is out of whack or I am carb craving because of PMS, I don't panic, I convince myself it doesn't mean I've "ruined" the diet and I get back to it. I tend to be very all or nothing so if I don't do it perfectly all the time I want to give up. This has been one of the hardest things to combat for me. If I take the attitude that its for life and not just a diet, I can allow myself to be human and have an off day. As long as I am having more good days than bad, I'm okay with it. I'm going to repost something that I got elsewhere on the site that I found helpful to be a little more forgiving of myself:

ADHD creates extra challenges to weight loss

According to Dr. Lance Levy, Diagnostic and Educational Weight Management Site Toronto, ON www.drlancelevy.com (http://www.drlancelevy.com/) the following adhd symptoms most interfere with weight loss by either preventing good dietary habits or achieving sufficient physical activity:

Having many projects on the go~diet plans get lost in the "action"
Chronic procrastination~planning a menu ahead of time very hard
Intolerance to boredom~food is used to combat boredom or create stimulation
Problems with time management~ no time is left for meals "on time"
Impatience~ can't stick to a "game plan" for very long
Insecurity, easily disappointed and discouraged~ hard to stay on the diet track unless success comes quickly
Forgetfulness~ forgetting a menu when in a stimulating environment
Frequent search for stimulaing activities~ food is used by someone who can't get out to have excitement
Stress intolerance~ food is used to get energy levels back up
Impulsivity~ impulsive choice of wrong foods
Trouble following proper procedure~ such as a menu plan or excercise regimen because they become bored once the novelty has worn off
Frequent mood swings~foods are used to smooth out moodiness
Verbal aggression~food can be used to suppress anger and to look more calm

auntchris
03-15-05, 04:08 AM
I have a question... should I have started a new thread of is ok to be here... I have the opposite problem...I ahve a hard time eating. I dont know how it started. I know when I was put on certain med my appetite went away. I try to eat dont really cook. I am on a limited bugert due to welfare money. The one thing is I dont want to be heavy that has always been a fear of mine. I have danced all my life until 2000. just wondering any advice is welcome.