View Full Version : Hypomania? Feeling normal? What's going on...

silivrentoliel
03-28-13, 05:39 PM
I woke up early this morning (that never happens)
I've felt productive all day (again, never happens)
I'm antsy, I'm feeling impulsive, I'm hyper... all this is rare for me.

I can't tell if it's hypomania or me just feeling normal for once. I don't have a baseline for normal, and I've been feeling so crumby for so long that feeling uncrumby is strange.

I'm also paranoid about what the pdoc said or what.

:doh:

dvdnvwls
03-28-13, 05:51 PM
For now: prevent yourself from doing impulsive garbage - otherwise roll with it and see where it takes you!

Sandy4957
03-28-13, 05:59 PM
And resist the urge to stay up late. If you're on your way toward hypomania, not sleeping will edge you closer to it. So still take your Ambien at the appointed hour, whatever that is.

MellyFishButt
03-28-13, 06:23 PM
How is your pain level and what have you taken today?

MellyFishButt
03-28-13, 06:23 PM
Ps. Good days are awesome! I'd be suspicious too. Haha

silivrentoliel
03-28-13, 06:27 PM
For now: prevent yourself from doing impulsive garbage - otherwise roll with it and see where it takes you!

Yeah... the impulsive part is the hard part. I want to get my snake bites repierced. :eyebrow: Bad.

And resist the urge to stay up late. If you're on your way toward hypomania, not sleeping will edge you closer to it. So still take your Ambien at the appointed hour, whatever that is.

I normally go to bed when Jay does, unless he's not tired after work... but as he's been at work 10hrs a day, that's not a problem this week.

How is your pain level and what have you taken today?

Don't know... my guess is less than normal though as I really really want to get my snake bites pierced again, and the first thought isn't *PAIN* (which it normally is...) but it's not the bad-not-thinking-about-pain like I've had before (but that was me slightly manic coming off Vyvanse and a knife sounded like fun)...

silivrentoliel
03-28-13, 06:28 PM
Ps. Good days are awesome! I'd be suspicious too. Haha

LOL, I know, right??? I shouldn't be so suspicious, but I can't help it... it's not normal. It's not bad, but not normal. I mean... I want to go DO stuff and I never want too.

dvdnvwls
03-28-13, 06:38 PM
Yeah... the impulsive part is the hard part. I want to get my snake bites repierced. :eyebrow: Bad.

Wild hunch: I think you don't want that; I think you want something, and that was the first thing you accidentally thought of. I think it was an unfortunate by-product of your "Yay! Energy! Do something!!!" - which you can still feed, by doing something good instead. :)

silivrentoliel
03-28-13, 07:59 PM
Wild hunch: I think you don't want that; I think you want something, and that was the first thing you accidentally thought of. I think it was an unfortunate by-product of your "Yay! Energy! Do something!!!" - which you can still feed, by doing something good instead. :)

Dunno. DH and I had been talking about it previously...

But yeah... I'm antsy.

I told DH about it when he got home and his first words were "we do have to watch out for hypomania... I'll keep an extra eye too"

Maybe it's not just me feeling good :eyebrow:

Sandy4957
03-28-13, 11:12 PM
If you become hypomanic, you won't wonder about it. You might be edging there, but I doubt that you're there yet. Your hubby would have no question that something was up.

keliza
03-29-13, 11:20 AM
I'm glad that your hubs is there to keep an eye out. Other people can often see these things so much better than we can. There have been many times when a friend or family member has kindly asked me if I was manic, to which my response was an emphatic and way too loud "NO WAY! WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THAT? I'M JUST IN MY GROOVE, THE UNIVERSE IS ALL SIDEWAYS AND I'M RIGHT INSIDE IT!"

Because that doesn't sound manic at all. Pfft. Mentally-sound hindsight is always 20/20.

Sandy4957
03-29-13, 12:30 PM
:lol:

Totally accurate, Keliza.

Although I was aware of my pressured speech. I'm talkative normally, and I'm normally excitable, emphatic, and passionate when I talk (kind of goes with the lawyering territory), but when I ALSO had pressured speech, I was aware of it.

It just sort of felt like a runaway train. :o

silivrentoliel
03-29-13, 03:45 PM
Today, I'm back to my semi-sleepy not spunky self....

I liked feeling like I did yesterday... I mean, I didn't have much to do at the house, but still... I felt great for once.

I did, however, get up and go get lunch rather than not eating. That's always a step in the right direction.

If you become hypomanic, you won't wonder about it. You might be edging there, but I doubt that you're there yet. Your hubby would have no question that something was up.

He was the one that pointed it out yesterday...

I'm glad that your hubs is there to keep an eye out. Other people can often see these things so much better than we can. There have been many times when a friend or family member has kindly asked me if I was manic, to which my response was an emphatic and way too loud "NO WAY! WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THAT? I'M JUST IN MY GROOVE, THE UNIVERSE IS ALL SIDEWAYS AND I'M RIGHT INSIDE IT!"

Because that doesn't sound manic at all. Pfft. Mentally-sound hindsight is always 20/20.

:lol: I like feeling "in the groove"!!

**Another question**
If bipolar swings are looooong, are cyclothymic swings just smaller in that they only reach hypomania/dythymia? Or are they shorter in duration?

keliza
03-29-13, 08:42 PM
**Another question**
If bipolar swings are looooong, are cyclothymic swings just smaller in that they only reach hypomania/dythymia? Or are they shorter in duration?

Cyclothymia mood swings are usually shorter in duration, but not super short. That is, they still are generally supposed to meet the criteria for diagnosis as per the DSM-IV-TR, which is at least 4-5 days for a hypomanic episode, and I think 2+ weeks for dysthymia? When dysthymia is diagnosed on its own, it is after over a year of chronic low-grade depression, but dysthymic episodes in cyclothymia are 2+ weeks I believe.

Of course YMMV, some people have episodes that are clearly episodes but don't last quite that long, so it just depends. But they are shorter in that a person with cyclothymia isn't likely to be depressed for months on end, whereas someone with bipolar I or II can easily have major depressive episodes that drag on for a majority of the calendar year if not properly treated.

Fuzzy12
04-03-13, 07:12 AM
I don't have a baseline either. I used to think my episodes of hypomania was just normal happiness or a sign that the depression was finally lifting.

When you are hypomanic, try not to make major decisions (if possible), even if they seem like a great idea at that point. It's good that Jay is keeping an eye on you.

But sigh, yeah, it feels amazing!!! :o