View Full Version : Lexapro Withdrawal

asdfdoc
03-28-13, 07:55 PM
I quit lexapro 3 weeks ago because it was killing my motivation. It totally nulled stimulants on me. At higher dose of lexapro, it made me hypomanic or mild serotonin syndrome (jerking movement and tense). I tapered down on dosing. 15mg for 1 mo, 10 mg for 1 mo, 5mg for 3 weeks, 2.5mg for 1 week. Then quit.

When I was on lexapro, stimulants did not work on me at all. Stimulants made me super sleepy and tired. As I was getting off lexapro, for the first two weeks, I did experience crazy brain zaps every 5-10 seconds, which eventually went away. However, I still feel lazy and fatigued. I started having dreams again 2 weeks in, most of them being nightmares. I had some night terror experiences in the past few days as well. My motivation is somewhat back, but not completely. Stimulants are not working well yet. Do you guys know how long it will take me to be over the lexapro withdrawal? It's a complete hell to go through. I am never gonna be on SSRI ever again.

curxxx
03-28-13, 09:07 PM
I know when I quit Cipralex (Canadian version of Lexapro) I couldn't sleep, I was waking up every hour on the hour, so I started taking it again, I couldn't even quit for a week lol.

I've heard SSRI withdrawls can last a month or two, so could be a while.

asdfdoc
04-10-13, 07:40 PM
Been exactly 1 month and 1 week since being off on lexapro. I am back to my normal self with OCD and anxiety, but better with motivation and desire to do stuff driven by anxiety. However, I tried stimulants (adderall, ritalin, focalin) a few days ago (not together, at 1 month mark, 3 days apart from each other for each drug). No stimulants work for me. They all gave me horrendous headache with put me to sleep. All 3 of them made me very sluggish, lazy and put me to sleep. Did anyone ever experience this? They at least made me stimulated before going on lexapro... I want my old stim responses back.:(:(:(:(

asdfdoc
04-16-13, 12:59 AM
OMG my stim response is back. WEEK 6! thank god. 5HTP helped a ton with withdrawal! FOCALIN works! :D:D

hollywood
04-18-13, 12:55 AM
Wonder if wellbutrin cut my stim response . I think it has

1Buster
04-20-13, 11:33 AM
I just read a paper from a study on the effects of citalopram and escitalopram on dopamine release in the brains of rats.

"Sustained administration of escitalopram robustly decreased the firing rate and burst activity of DA [dopamine] neurons. ... Citalopram, however, did not alter the overall firing rate but inhibited the burst activity of DA neurons."

The conclusion, however, is not very conclusive: "Since the mesolimbic DA system plays an important role in motivation and reward, a potential decrease in the firing of DA neurons may lead, in some patients, to a lack of adequate response to SSRIs."

So SSRIs might reduce dopamine in some patients, or might not in others. I tend to think Clelexa is doing that to me.

Link:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2674976/

Mac181
04-20-13, 08:02 PM
OMG my stim response is back. WEEK 6! thank god. 5HTP helped a ton with withdrawal! FOCALIN works! :D:D
Not surprised, introducing 5HTP (serotonin precursor) when coming down from SSRI withdrawal is not unlike being on methadone to come down from heroin. :lol:

The conclusion, however, is not very conclusive: "Since the mesolimbic DA system plays an important role in motivation and reward, a potential decrease in the firing of DA neurons may lead, in some patients, to a lack of adequate response to SSRIs."

So SSRIs might reduce dopamine in some patients, or might not in others. I tend to think Clelexa is doing that to me.
Pro-tip: Scientists have to be overly cautious in their conclusions or they get crap from reviewers. Odds are the authors have more confidence in the link than they say.