View Full Version : Need to write letter to school

JenE
04-01-13, 01:47 PM
Saw a new counselor today. Really like him and I think DS will too. Has a very good outgoing personality.

He said it seems DS is going through a lot right now. He will work on anxiety tools with him and try to get him more comfy in school. Don't know what difference it will make before Monday but at least we are moving in the right direction. He will work with him on all of his phobias and anxieties. Said he most likely will always be anxious but he can learn to cope to with it.

He said the most important thing right now is to get him protection at school so we need to write "the letter". He said we can then make accomodations where they can't suspend him for not going to class. Anyone know where I can find the sample letter? I looked on Wright's Law site but I must be missing it. Any suggestions?

We have a lot of work to do. DS will see him tomorrow.

dvdnvwls
04-01-13, 01:53 PM
Did you land on this page (http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/ltrs.index.htm) yet? That may be what you were looking for...

Hawutwut
04-01-13, 05:00 PM
I wished I could help. But I am very glad to hear this!!

LynneC
04-01-13, 08:11 PM
Jen, what does the letter need to say? Will you request certain things in this letter?

JenE
04-02-13, 09:21 AM
I believe this letter is the initial request for evaluation for services. I'm going to get more info about the letter from him today when I take DS for his first appt. He said that without the formal request for evaluation/assistance the school can continue to do what works for them even if it isnt' what's best for the student.

DS got very upset yesterday when I mentioned the new dr. But once he got home and Dad talked to him he was ok and he seemed ok this morning talking about it. I'm sure he'll like him.

dvdnvwls
04-02-13, 12:47 PM
I always hate having to go to any new therapist/counsellor/whatever, and I get upset, and I'm over 40 and fairly outgoing. Part of it is because "having someone look inside my brain" is very uncomfortable. I'm afraid what will happen next if they don't like what they see.

JenE
04-02-13, 02:34 PM
He gave me no problems at all today about going. He really liked the doctor who said DS did really well. They just spent the time talking and getting comfy. He had his therapy dog with him and DS liked that. Asked DS if he would like to keep seeing this dr and not see the old one anymore. He said yes but he was afraid the old dr would be sad. LOL!

Will see him again Thursday morning. Not expecting any miracles before Monday but I think we may be able to see some progress with this dr.

zette93
04-02-13, 03:39 PM
Get the book, From Emotions to Advocacy by Peter Wright. It's better organized for someone just starting out than trying to find the right topic on the wrightslaw website, and has an appendix of sample letters. You can also google "sample request for IEP evaluation" and come up with a bunch of examples to use. The details of this letter don't matter that much, just that it is in writing on paper. They have to schedule a meeting within a couple of weeks, and at that meeting it will be decided what evaluations will be done (likely one or more of the following: speech, occupational, academic testing, school psychologist observation in the classroom). Best of luck!

zette93
04-03-13, 02:49 AM
Also, if you're still concerned about Aspergers, I would recommend finding out whether your insurance would cover an evaluation by a developmental psychologist. Ours did, although it was out of network. Having a diagnosis from an outside expert is helpful in getting the right services in place at school.

JenE
04-03-13, 10:54 AM
I got the ebook last night and am anxious to start reading it. I did review the sample letters and got some help. Still not sure how much detail I need to put into it. It definitely looks like a good reference. Thanks!

As for the Asperger's I'm going to talk to his psychologist tomorrow about his opinions of it for him.

Thanks for everyone's help and support.