View Full Version : How to exercise regularly?

malaka
04-02-13, 08:46 PM
Hey there,

I know that doing physical exercises can be helpful in many ways but I just can't do it regularly.

I used to like running, and working out on a few machines in the gym. But the problem is that, for example, I go to the gym motivated, exercise very well for a few months and then I suddenly quit. After that, I keep having a "sedentary lifestyle" until I decide to go back to the gym and do it all over again... It's like a cycle LOL...

Any thoughts on how to maintain a good exercise schedule, rhythm or is it just laziness?

someothertime
04-02-13, 09:02 PM
Gotta be fun. Some find doing it with others gives them help with the consistency. I'm or have been a solo player so I ride ( bike ). There has been to or three periods over winter usually where I stopped and put on weight, got sluggish etc

Think outside the box. Mountain biking, canoeing, rock climbing etc. Cycling worked for me because it's accessible, I have to have the music, it kept me going alot of the times the motivation was low.

There is the initial couple of weeks, where you just gotta get out the door no matter what. I found that it was easier to stick to if I just did it pretty much every day, rather than only a couple of days.

Then there is a few months down the track where you to fade / lose motivation / get complacent.

If you get past those hurdles you'll have made it stick.

It kind of helped knowing that it was for my mental fitness. Some days I just felt so crappy, I knew at least if I got out there, I would have done something with my day and most times i'd feel heaps more relaxed.

So, convenient, fun, push through the lulls!

someothertime
04-02-13, 09:09 PM
Also keeping a diary of what you've done can help in the first few months. It's really got to be a passion or challenge to keep it up.

Hawutwut
04-02-13, 11:07 PM
Thinking outside the box -- Geocaching worked for me for a whole summer. I picked caches that required hikes in new and different place. I love exploring.

For the record I need to get back to exercising too.

Twiggy
04-03-13, 03:12 AM
Dancing to music is counted as exercise.

sarahsweets
04-03-13, 06:23 AM
OMG I am so happy to see someone else who loves this! most people i mention it to have never heard of it. We love to do it as a family. 2 weeks ago we were hiking around downed trees from the hurricane but we found out the cache had survived!

Thinking outside the box -- Geocaching worked for me for a whole summer. I picked caches that required hikes in new and different place. I love exploring.

For the record I need to get back to exercising too.

sarahsweets
04-03-13, 06:25 AM
for me, the issue is always boredom. I lose interest really fast no matter how often i excersise or how hard. I discovered zumba which i love because its always different. The trick is to not worry about how bad you might dance and just go for it. I have to peel the clothes off of me when im done but its worth it.

Hawutwut
04-03-13, 10:22 AM
Dancing -- That reminds me, for awhile I was playing Dance Dance Revolution on my xbox on a regular basis. They have workout modes and it helps that I like electronica/dance/trance music.

Conman
04-03-13, 12:45 PM
normally when im at home it's easier to get to the gym where i go between 3 and quite possibly every day of the week (it varies depending on me, if im going with bro, our current moods or feelings about it that day etc.)

but at college, it's harder for me. im spoiled in that i dont like waiting for my workouts to open up, like i dont mind if the thing i start with is taken and ill just start elsewhere, but when lots of my things are taken at moment i get ******.

so i try and wake up at 6 in the morning and go to the gym, but it's hard lately since i either have a bad night of sleep and dont open my eyes when i hit the alarm, or now that its cold im "comfortable". im going with friends later today though.

plus at college my workouts here are limited by time since i have classes regularly and i cant always do it at 630 in the morning when i have 8 am classes that day (tues,thurs,fri this semester)

Tmoney
04-03-13, 02:45 PM
Someothertime hit on the nose. Especially for AD(H)D people. We get bored with the same thing over and over so our mind convinces us not to go! Take it outside the box. Biking, walking some where with great scenery(beach pier or bridge) Head phones with your favorite music is a must. Not to mention its a great for decreasing and eliminating stress
As long as your moving your exercising!

keliza
04-03-13, 02:56 PM
Like many others have said, you've got to keep it novel and interesting. When things become repetitive and boring, there's no way you're going to stick to it. I've never been the kind of person who could do the same repetitive exercise on machines in the gym, it's way too boring. I prefer to swim or hike - especially hiking, since it lets me be an explorer and check out new things. Zumba classes are also a great, fun exercise.

Another thing that helps me in keeping up with my exercise is goal-setting. I grew up playing mostly solitary sports (versus team sports) because I like to challenge myself to new personal bests (PB). Winning was great, but I feel like I "win" against myself when I set a new PB. So for example, I'll set a new PB for time it takes to swim X number of laps, or how many perfect swings in a row, or how many balls I can hit consecutively within the ten mark of the bullseye drawn on the wall I play tennis against. I am more competitive with myself than I am with other people, so it helps to keep me motivated and into what I'm doing.

dvdnvwls
04-03-13, 03:06 PM
There is more than one way to conquer boredom.

Another way is to work with the boredom instead of against it, and make exercise just another habit, the same every day - not try to make it exciting, just make it become part of your life, so that you're doing it on "auto-pilot". Like you never decide to do it anymore, you just do it as part of the routine. I think deciding, and specifically the difficulty of making yourself decide again and again "yes I'll do it", is the hard part, and taking it out of "decision-making" territory and into "I don't know why, I just always do it" territory might help.

pellen
04-03-13, 03:46 PM
There is more than one way to conquer boredom.

Another way is to work with the boredom instead of against it, and make exercise just another habit, the same every day - not try to make it exciting, just make it become part of your life, so that you're doing it on "auto-pilot". Like you never decide to do it anymore, you just do it as part of the routine. I think deciding, and specifically the difficulty of making yourself decide again and again "yes I'll do it", is the hard part, and taking it out of "decision-making" territory and into "I don't know why, I just always do it" territory might help.

Yes, I find that sometimes trying to "keep it interesting" is just too much work - the extra planning involved turns me off! Once I hit my groove, and exercise is just another thing like laundry, or walking to the metro, or whatever, then I become really consistent. It's no longer a struggle to force myself to do it and I feel weird if I don't do it.

SQUIRREL!!
04-03-13, 06:05 PM
For me, running is my passion. I have a constant love/hate relationship with it. But I have gone from hardly ever doing it to ultra-marathoner over a number of years. The things I find best to keep me at it are the group of highly motivated friends I have made through running, being part of a club, and having over 30 "regular" spots to run. This way, no matter how boring or mundane doing the same thing can seem, there's always a way to make it different.

Even with all I've accomplished, I still find motivation difficult on many days. But for the most part, running wins. Some days I do it, some days I don't. Planning races also tends to keep me on point. It's a challenge, but one that comes with rewards -- much unlike most of the other challenges I face in a day.

proileri
04-17-13, 06:02 AM
One possibility is setting a goal to take part in a race or an event. Nothing too serious, though, but a small 1-2 hour one - for example a 10k run, or even a half marathon if you do cardio on regular basis.

I'm considering taking part in my first triathlon during this summer - starting from the sprint distance which is a bit over 1 h total. It's a great excuse to mix up swimming, running and cycling!

mommajen08
04-26-13, 01:32 PM
I love the beachbody workouts as they provide a lot of variety in each program. So far I have P90X, P90X+ and Chalene Extreme. Right now I'm doing the Chalene Extreme program. I follow the strenght training schedule for that program, but mix up the cardio workouts to whatever I feel like doing that day. I also have a treadmill at home, which I throw into the mix when I feel like running. So there's a little routine from week to week, yet still the option to mix it up so I don't get too bored. Plus the longest you do any certain workout is 4 weeks, then you move onto something new. I think I'll be adding Insanity to the mix next.

The other thing that helps is working out first thing in the morning. If I don't exercise right away, I get overwhelmed with everything that's happening in my day and cannot find time to exercise.