View Full Version : Quitting Wellbutrin Cold Turkey, then Adderall

newguy5
04-02-13, 10:52 PM
- tried to keep background short as I could but to skip to questions page down, thanks

I should give more background but want to it as short as I can. I was sort of diagnosed but not (psych is keeping it sort of non anything in the records) more of inattentive ADD. fyi, I check my BP (have probably sometimes high 13x/high 9x with no meds) and well when am worried about a drug side effect I checked every few minutes. And probably read too much about things like meds.

Psych on first visit based on my past history etc etc prescribed Ritalin (dosage up to me to adjust start low maxish 60mg/day). At some point I chewed a couple pills since I wanted to not wait so long to eat, got freaked out saw very high BP number spike, cut dose got another big spike, so unknown if I did it to myself or a real reaction. Also my primary thought since I check my BP etc that I have anxiety which don't see it.

Based on that we put the stims on hold. Tried Sertraline which was terrible. Meanwhile primary nurse practitioner gave me a beta blocker for imagined anxiety - terrible). Next psych drug is Wellbutrin (bad combo with beta blocker, dropped beta blocker on my own). ONLY for ADD since she says does not see depression (though realistically life sucks but its reality right now).

So took 150mg XL for 30 days, nothing noticeable good, no energy boost possibly lower than baseline, usually can start things but not finish with WB can't even start things, time flys by during day in a bad way, libido up a little fine. By phone she had me try 300mg XL, took for 4-5 days nothing better maybe lower energy, saw her today. Gave her more detail and that at 300mg especially just feel down more about things. She said I could try longer on 300mg but was thinking I should since nothing good after 5 weeks.

I was concerned about the seizure risk with alcohol, I do drink alot by most peoples standards. Leveled with her and she had absolutely no issue even with 10+ drinks on a day and seizures for me. This came up since I had read that consistent alcohol users often process WB out of their system much faster because of CYP26? which is elevated and metabolizes WB. Only mention because on WB I felt better in the evening 8-12 hours past dose and maybe with a few drinks my energy level got close to baseline. My thinking is WB is not helping and by evening my body procesed most of it out so I could feel "normal"=baseline. Any thoughts?

- ok if skipped background start here

She says I should just stop (as of tomorrow morning) no need to taper at all, if I wanted she said could take a 300mg XL tablet day after next as a final pill (only pills I have) but does not think I should even do that. Anyone have a comment on if this is good or bad?

We are going back to try Adderall, but she suggested waiting 5 days after quitting to let the WB get out of my system fully. Her and I are cautious of stims given what happened but we have gone through the major classes and Ritalin for a few weeks before the incident made a big difference.

I brought up and she agreed 5 days off before trying the Adderall would give me an idea of what my baseline with no psych meds is to compare?

sarahsweets
04-03-13, 04:27 AM
you should never stop an antidepressant cold turkey, you should always taper down. Your doctor is very misinformed

newguy5
04-04-13, 01:52 AM
Any other opinions on stopping cold turkey? All I have are 300mg XL. 1st day so far, nothing I could pin down as withdrawal symptom, but better than any day on the drug. Energy level better, no forgetfulness, did not get much done but better than nothing on WB. Could be placebo effect?

immabum
04-04-13, 03:18 PM
If I'm reading correctly, you were on the 300xl for less than a week.
Stopping Bupropion 150 'cold turkey' is not uncommon.
I'm guessing your doc was thinking along the lines that you weren't on the higher dose for a significant amount of time coupled with the assumption that you don't really have a history of seizures. That being said, he/she should have warned you that it lowers your seizure threshold. Or your pharmacist should have mentioned it (if you asked about any adverse side effects). Gotta take responsibility for your own health too - pretty common knowledge that alcohol and many prescription meds don't mix.

newguy5
04-04-13, 05:06 PM
If I'm reading correctly, you were on the 300xl for less than a week.
Stopping Bupropion 150 'cold turkey' is not uncommon.
I'm guessing your doc was thinking along the lines that you weren't on the higher dose for a significant amount of time coupled with the assumption that you don't really have a history of seizures. That being said, he/she should have warned you that it lowers your seizure threshold. Or your pharmacist should have mentioned it (if you asked about any adverse side effects). Gotta take responsibility for your own health too - pretty common knowledge that alcohol and many prescription meds don't mix.

Yeah, I had been on 300xl for 6 days, and 30 days of 150xl prior to that. Plus since I did not think I was really getting anything good from it. 2nd nothing noticeable bad anyway, was tired earlier today but who knows, I subjectively feel at least as good as when I was on it, so far so good. I know it and metabolites have 1/2 lives so will be pretty significantly gone now and totally gone in another day or two? So should I have felt any withdrawal if it was going to happen or could I get some sort of a "crash" later?

But I saw reference that is in the blood, should I expect any other side effects as my brain gets used to it being gone? I assume you mean lowers seizure threshold when on it, not when coming off it or both? I asked her about the things I read about alcohol and seizure warnings, surprising for a doctor to be so confident, she was 100% absolutely not concerned about me (no history of seizures) drinking in whatever amount and seizures from the med.

immabum
04-04-13, 05:59 PM
Confidence is a great personality trait to reassure patients -within reason. You don't need to embarass/stick it to their face -but you can read more about it here:
http://www.drugs.com/sfx/wellbutrin-side-effects.html.

The seizure risk increases with higher dosages, prior history of seizure, alcohol use, interactions with other medication etc etc.
Yes you can also get a seizure when coming off of it (eg if you were on 600mg and quit cold turkey)
In your situation I think your physician was reassured by your lack of seizure history and short time on the 300mg dose. Personally the only benefit I got from Wellbutrin was an increase in morning energy (I could actually wake up in the morning like a 'normal person' -which was really nice actually). However the impaired memory effects on me (ymmv) put it on the chop block once my 6-8 week trial was up.

If anything, you'll probably feel a bit more lethargic in the upcoming days until you start your Adderall.

newguy5
04-05-13, 04:25 AM
Confidence is a great personality trait to reassure patients -within reason. You don't need to embarass/stick it to their face -but you can read more about it here:
http://www.drugs.com/sfx/wellbutrin-side-effects.html.

The seizure risk increases with higher dosages, prior history of seizure, alcohol use, interactions with other medication etc etc.
Yes you can also get a seizure when coming off of it (eg if you were on 600mg and quit cold turkey)
In your situation I think your physician was reassured by your lack of seizure history and short time on the 300mg dose. Personally the only benefit I got from Wellbutrin was an increase in morning energy (I could actually wake up in the morning like a 'normal person' -which was really nice actually). However the impaired memory effects on me (ymmv) put it on the chop block once my 6-8 week trial was up.

If anything, you'll probably feel a bit more lethargic in the upcoming days until you start your Adderall.

You misunderstand she was totally right other than prescribing it in the 1st place but she had to try things based on the ritalin issue. I was the one concerned about seizures and she did the right thing saying seizure was basically irrelevant in my case. I have read alot about WB and the seizure risk is in reality at now prescribed doses no higher than the nasty SSRI's.

So far so glad she said stop, I thought maybe I overreacted about how it made me feel on WB, but today was better than yesterday, feel like I'm getting some of the power, happiness, energy it robbed me of. Not approaching normal but now realize I am getting closer to baseline for me and it is so much better mentally. You know difference between feeling powerless to get normal stuff done and totally powerless at anything on the meds.

Its hard to explain but on WB did not have the drive to even read important emails for weeks, or care about missing bill payments etc. I know it sounds stupid, but baseline I would procrastinate but at the last minute would rev the power/energy way up to get it done. The sertraline, beta blocker and then WB destroyed even that. :(

Thanks for listening.

immabum
04-05-13, 12:03 PM
Cool. Ya roughly 0.4% chance of seizure..thats a small number in itself. Add in 10 drinks or alcohol withdrawal- and you bump up your odds. Takes cojones IMO to say its irrelevant...especially in litigious America.

Anyways your WB symptoms were different from mine. I felt more energized on it. No effect on mood and it screwed around with my memory...which is why I ended it.
Oh and the SSRIs can make you feel better but the lethargy can be debilitating . Beta blockers can drain you physically and actually make depression worse.
Hope your next drug works out for ya.

newguy5
04-05-13, 03:53 PM
Well I may have spoke too soon. This afternoon, more than yesterday afternoon feel lethargic and a little "blah". Like you, while on it, I had no effect on mood and seemed to have quite a few more of those, "what was I thinking about again?" memory moments.

I guess since I am on the 3rd day should try and just stick it out.