View Full Version : Theanine, has it helped anyone here?

SpaceBaby
04-03-13, 08:09 AM
I wasn't sure where to post this and I haven't seen many posts about people's experiences with it, so I made this thread :p

I just got L-theanine yesterday and tried some in the evening to help me while I read stuff for a paper I need to finish. I think it helped a little, but I'm recovering from a cold so I had to take some cold medicine, which made me sleepy. I'll post an update here later on if I notice the theanine really helping me focus.

SpaceBaby
04-03-13, 12:09 PM
Alright, I took another pill of Theanine and it does help me stay focused, although since I'm still recovering from a cold and it took a while for my brain to "switch on" to study mode (my mind was feeling a bit jumbled up this morning, but now I feel a little better).

Fuzzy12
04-03-13, 12:11 PM
I'd never heard of it but after reading your post I looked it up on wikipedia. It sounds promising but you can never be sure with supplements.

I'm tempted to give it a try though. I've never seen it anywhere. How do you get it? Did you order it online?

SpaceBaby
04-03-13, 01:13 PM
Yes, I ordered it online from Vitamin Shoppe. I could have gone to the store myself to buy it, but I thought getting it online would be more convenient since I don't have a car and my dad would have to drive me and he's been suffering from a cold too.

I tried looking at my local pharmacy for it, it wasn't there, so I guess you're more likely to find it in a vitamin store. Theanine is also found in Green Tea, but I wanted to have the theanine without the caffeine in it.

SpaceBaby
04-04-13, 01:07 PM
Just another little update, I don't think the Theanine really makes me focus on relevant things, it just gives me the motivation stay on track. I think what it's really doing is relieving me from anxiety and stress. I'm not sure if it's related, but I seem to laugh harder at jokes in my head, which is sort of weird if I'm doing that like while on the bus or something... it's like "huh... what's that weird kid laughing about by himself?" :lol:

Flbravo
04-12-13, 10:12 PM
I started taking Melatonin 3 mg + 200 mg of L-theanine in one softgel. It's marketed as a way to relax the mind and fall asleep. My sleep has been terrible lately and I'm on 20 mg adderall IR 3 x a day so even though I'm tired at days end it's been almost impossible to "quiet the mind" and get restful sleep. I found the supplement works but I am a bit foggy the next day even with the adderall. I have never found any supplements or RX that can help me either relax or sleep with out the "hang over" effect the next day. I have not taken L-theanine on it's own but I do see it included in many supplements, both for stress relief and sleep aids.

kstate23
04-25-13, 05:37 PM
Yes! Theanine has been great for me. It really helps me calm the mind and focus on one thing. I have also been taking L-Taurine which gives me more calmness, but more alertness and mental energy. Taking them together has really helped me a lot. I saw a woman who is a pharmacist and nutritionist and told her my problems with medications (I have taken everything). She recommended a B-complex, Vitamin D, L-Theanine, and L-Taurine. It has done wonders for me. I'm completely natural now.

XxNeXuSxX
09-05-13, 10:17 AM
I tried the Liftmode L-Theanine.

I must say, it does work. In fact, if you check the Nootropic section of reddit, it's absolutely quintessential to try this with caffeine; as it removes most of the jitters. I have been on adderall in the past and must say the combination of L-theanine and caffeine is far more pleasant, yet still noticing an acuteness improvement in memory.

Liftmode's theanine in particular is cheap, however the include a QOA analysis that assures it's 99% purity.

Sorry for a bit of the bump.

RicardoBogie
09-09-13, 10:40 AM
Yes! Theanine has been great for me. It really helps me calm the mind and focus on one thing. I have also been taking L-Taurine which gives me more calmness, but more alertness and mental energy. Taking them together has really helped me a lot. I saw a woman who is a pharmacist and nutritionist and told her my problems with medications (I have taken everything). She recommended a B-complex, Vitamin D, L-Theanine, and L-Taurine. It has done wonders for me. I'm completely natural now.

I take Timed Released B, Vit D and L-Taurine everyday. Very helpful.

L-Taurine deserves more attention: it is very useful and its less expensive than many supps out there.

I have started taking L-theanine again after a long break. With a little caffeine it is noticeably helpful. Keeping in mind you have to find your level for theanine and caffeine... too much is counterproductive. I use theanine 100 mg twice a day.. morning and noon. I take another 100 mg later in the day if I am working on a project.

Chivalry
01-18-14, 08:34 AM
Thanks for sharing :)

DesertDave
02-05-14, 02:43 AM
I've been trying l-theanine on & off for a week or maybe 2. I've read lots of research, especially when it comes to helping with anxiety, which I also have. I came here to see if anyone had tried it and was pleased to find this thread.

I'm finding that it seem to be giving me some clarity and mellowing me a little. Two friends have asked "what does the Dr have you on now?" so SOMETHING is happening.

My clinician is fine with trying this. She actually said maybe I should up the dose and see if it's better.

I read that it has a sharp peak and fairly sharp decline in plasma concentration. I wonder if anyone makes it in a time-release version.

I've been away from this forum for a while. I need to catch up!

ana futura
02-05-14, 04:00 PM
I find it useful mainly for anxiety.

In the studies that have been done it, the Suntheanine form is supposed to be best.

There's quite a bit of new research out on it, all of it seems promising, especially for ADHD+anxiety.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22214254

http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/herb/l-theanine

concentrater
02-07-14, 08:56 PM
I haven't tried a supplement, but it is in tea (like green) in a certain quantity. Theanine is supposedly slows you down to concentrate, and since tea has caffeine, it makes me not sleepy either.

This person (http://www.gwern.net/Nootropics#theanine) has some pretty scientific stuff to say about it.

Also curious of other's experience with pills or powder...

DichotOhMy
02-20-14, 08:26 AM
I find it useful mainly for anxiety.

In the studies that have been done it, the Suntheanine form is supposed to be best.

I find it only useful for the same reason. Which is to say, anxiety being a very mild situational and transient thing for me, means I don't find L-theanine very useful.

I also agree one should also be careful to ensure they are buying a supplement that is 100% suntheanine.

Charmcityguy22
03-21-16, 04:37 PM
Theanine has worked wonders for me as I take 200mgs twice daily sometime 3 times,the only issue I have is sometimes a day after my dose I get a huge feeling of euphoria and warming sensation in my head/brain but my euphoria is non existent all day.