View Full Version : Weight/aerobic exercise and medication timing

immabum
04-04-13, 11:02 PM
Im not seeing threads here for some reason.
Anyways I'm no stranger to the gym-but now that I'm on Adderall xr I'm wondering how some of you über healthy folk time your meds.

I was on Concerta a few weeks back (plus Wellbutrin) and I played some intense racquet sport one afternoon. I didn't feel so hot and when I checked my blood pressure afterwards it was pretty scary high.

I'm thinking of hitting the gym (free weights) first thing in the morning . I typically do 10-15 mins of cardio at the end. Then take my meds. That way my heart rate and Bp won't be so sky high. Bad part is I kinda need the morning jolt (either concerts/adderall/wellbutrin) to wake up. Coffee historically did nothing for me (until I was on Wellbutrin)...but Wellbutrin and I have since broken up.

So I'm just titrating my adderall up right now, but I'm thinking I'll probably need an afternoon dose because I'm pretty bagged by the end of the day (5-6pm). So that kinda of leaves me only with late evening workouts.

So anyone out there have a routine timing their workouts with their meds? Or am I just being too paranoid?

dvdnvwls
04-05-13, 12:13 AM
Maybe hitting the gym first thing will count as a morning jolt? Some people like it that way.

immabum
04-05-13, 12:58 AM
Ya...problem is getting out of bed early in the morning is near impossible.
I tried the morning workout thing many times before ...but I always revert back to afternoon workouts. I really do wish I was a morning person tho...seems so much more efficient. When I was on Wellbutrin it was great because I would wake up at 5-6 am and my brain and eyes were like *boing!*
Since I've been off of it...I've gone back to non-morning person status.
Maybe I should just set my house temperature uncomfortably high in the early morning to get me out of bed.
Or just ask my wife to kick my butt out of the bed/roll me off :p

sarahsweets
04-05-13, 06:45 AM
I think that once you have your medical doctor clear you for safe stimulant use (a cardiologist if your worried about your heart) that taking your meds at the same time everyday for consistency is best. I always work out in the evening due to my schedule and the fact that i prefer to be lazy earlier in the day but i take my last dose around 4 and my zumba classes are either 530 or 7pm. Ive been ok so far.

immabum
04-05-13, 02:14 PM
Thanks Sarah
Wow zumba looks intense -props to you.

Ya maybe a late day workout is going to be the most realistic time to work out *sigh* (Will I ever be a morning person?) -Then again maybe the late exercise can boost my focus/mental capacity until I go to sleep without requiring another late afternoon/early evening med boost.

immabum
04-06-13, 03:04 PM
So I played an intense 2 hour session of squash late afternoon yesterday (normally I can only handle one hour).
Energy levels were high, reflexes crisp, wasn't as flush as I normally get. No chest pains thankfully(my fear). My blood pressure was normal afterwards but hr elevated (140) about an hour later.

I can see now why these meds are banned in the Olympics! It reminds me of ephedrine(before it was banned) -I stopped taking that stuff long ago because I didn't want to give birth to kidney stones. Come to think of it...I wonder if Adderal/stimulants are linked with kidney stones? Oh great...anyways

Well I'm going to go do some free weights later this afternoon. I'll keep you gym rats posted:)

immabum
04-06-13, 08:28 PM
Work out was great -definitely felt a little extra *oomp* when lifting weights.
Although I did a bit distracted by my own mp3 music (it sounded *better* for some reason and I found myself a bit distracted listening to my tunes in between sets)

My heart rate was pretty elevated tho -I hit 190bpm when I hit the treadmill at the end of my workout (Normally 160bpm). Maybe I should work out a little bit later or take my meds earlier.

someothertime
04-06-13, 11:10 PM
My cardio is generally before 9 or after 5.

If I ride in the day I just take it easy ( don't want the meds to wear off! )

immabum
04-07-13, 01:05 AM
Someothertime: Great point -didn't even cross my mind that the meds might get metabolized quicker.

APSJ
04-07-13, 11:16 AM
I would certainly encourage speaking to your doctor about it, if only to put your mind at ease, but I haven't really done anything to time my exercise around my medication and haven't had any issues, and haven't seen any indication that people otherwise healthy should do so.

I will note that when I started exercising regularly a few years ago, I found I tended to push myself farther and feel better longer when the meds (ritalin) were in effect, which is not really a good thing since I've proven prone to stress fractures.