View Full Version : Should I ask the doctor about Asperger's?

redpanda
04-07-13, 11:40 PM
I have an appointment with a psychologist in a couple of weeks for testing (probably Connors test for ADHD and a personality test for anxiety and depression). My appointment for the tests are in a couple of weeks.

I think I have ADHD-PI and mild~moderate depression, but I am not sure.

If the psychologist says I don't have ADHD, I might ask him if he thinks I might have Asperger's. I am reluctant to bring this up because I don't think it is very unlikely I would be diagnosed with autism. I don't feel "autistic enough" an AS diagnosis. On the other hand, an ADHD diagnosis would covers a lot of the mild autistic symptoms I have.

The only reason I even considering this is that, ironically, I think I would fit the DSM-IV criteria for Asperger's syndrome, while I am not sure that I will fit the criteria for ADHD. However, when the DSM-V comes out, I will probably not fit the criteria for Autism, although I think I will fit the DSM-V Adult ADHD criteria, if they make the changes they were proposing. Ironic, isn't it? :p :confused:

FYI- I am a female. I mention that because I know that gender can affect the way autism shows itself.
My Autism Quotient score was 24 (Average adult score is 16; most autistic adults score over 32). Aspie quiz turned out 120-Aspie, 90-neurotypical

These are reasons why I think I might have Asperger's:

I had very little social interest or social motivation as a child. I wanted to have friends, but I had no interest in talking to people. This hasn't changed very much as I have grown up.
I socialize by formulas. I never knew how to make conversation as a kid, but but as I grew up, I learned the rules and formula for talking to people. I get nervous in social situations were there I don't have a clear formula or "right way" to do things.
I have very intense interests in certain subjects. From age 9 to 18, I obsessed over one particular fantasy series for hours everyday. It is very difficult for me to stop thinking about my interests or focus on things that don't interest me.
I have always be extremely low-key. I never get outwardly emotional, even though I am very emotionally sensitive on the inside.
I have difficulty expressing myself when speaking. I get tongue-tied easily.
I find it very difficult to make my voice "sound" like what I am feeling (e.g. sounding angry when I am angry). However, I don't know if this is natural for me (neurologically), or if it is because I have trained myself to suppress my emotions.

Here are some reasons why I probably don't have Asperger's:

I don't have problems with keeping eye contact or reading faces or tone of voice, and I don't remember having problems with these as a kid either, although my recollections are rather fuzzy.
I am not overly concerned with routines.
I am not particularly sensitive to light, smell, touch, or taste. Certain sounds annoy me, but not to the extent that it is painful or unbearable.
I have never had a "melt-down" or a "shut-down" where I lost the ability to cognitively function.
Edit: I also don't have problems with Theory of Mind.

Is this even worth bringing up to the psychologist?
I know the first thing the psych will probably want to do is give me another autism questionnaire, which will probably show the same thing the others already showed (some autistic traits, but not all the way autistic).

fracturedstory
04-08-13, 05:21 AM
Sounds like you could, but then it also sounds like you couldn't.

The new criteria will be about, to my knowledge, how much support you require. There's levels 1, 2, and 3. I forget which order they're in but it's kind of like mild (some support), moderate (more support) and severe (the most support).

Those symptoms could be a part of ADHD and who knows your social issues may lessen on medication. Or you could have both. We just don't really know what's going to happen with the new autism criteria.

To me it sounds like PDD. Not exactly mild but not meeting enough of the criteria. PDD is just as over as an AS diagnosis though.

Let's say you have AS but don't get diagnosed. Are you capable of working through your problems yourself, without a doctor? Because I'll tell ya, an adult diagnosis of AS or high functioning autism only gets you special services if you need them. Your psychologist would have to be amazing to work through your AS issues with you. Mine would say it was more likely anxiety and you know, don't have meltdowns, because they can be disturbing, and you don't need to have a routine.
I don't see a psychologist anymore. ADHD has been the better diagnosis for me because the medication really helped. The autism diagnosis has been great in helping me learn more about why I am the way I am, but any progress I've made has been through a lot of self-teaching.

It's up to you to bring it up but I really hope you get diagnosed with ADHD-PI because I think you'll make more progress. I've also noticed an overlap in more PI symptoms and AS than PH. I'm pretty sure my autism masks a lot of my hyperactivity. But when I'm with friends and feel safe I'm very hyper, very ADHD distracted, bored and impulsive.

redpanda
04-08-13, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback. You're right that I probably wouldn't benefit much from an autism diagnosis. The main thing I am hoping to get out of this process is ADHD medication and possibly counseling for depression.

Asylum
04-09-13, 01:01 AM
There's no harm in asking, if he is a good doc, then he's there to help you with information. You shouldn't be afraid to talk to him about it.

Darksanity
05-03-13, 06:46 PM
Here are some reasons why I probably don't have Asperger's:

I don't have problems with keeping eye contact or reading faces or tone of voice, and I don't remember having problems with these as a kid either, although my recollections are rather fuzzy.
I am not overly concerned with routines.
I am not particularly sensitive to light, smell, touch, or taste. Certain sounds annoy me, but not to the extent that it is painful or unbearable.
I have never had a "melt-down" or a "shut-down" where I lost the ability to cognitively function.
Edit: I also don't have problems with Theory of Mind.

Is this even worth bringing up to the psychologist?
I know the first thing the psych will probably want to do is give me another autism questionnaire, which will probably show the same thing the others already showed (some autistic traits, but not all the way autistic).
You probably do not have Aspergers. And if you wrote that perfectly written and formatted post without any medication I probably do not have ADD either.

fracturedstory
05-04-13, 08:22 AM
You probably do not have Aspergers. And if you wrote that perfectly written and formatted post without any medication I probably do not have ADD either. Not having those symptoms minus routines doesn't mean a person doesn't have AS. Sometimes people who don't have routines or obsessive interests still get diagnosed though. That confuses me. I think those are the two most common symptoms. If I wasn't an extreme case of both I wouldn't even consider myself autistic, apart from the fear of change.

And if you're saying they don't have ADHD because they wrote that...ugh, sometimes a person with ADHD can write something like that without medication.

Currently I'm not one of them.

known_guy
05-05-13, 12:44 AM
I apologize for not reading through the entirety of this thread, but I've wondered the same thing regarding talking about the possibility of Asperger's in my case. I know in past discussions it's been noted as a possibility - at times ruled out, at times brought into the picture again. What benefit would a definitive diagnosis have? Like, would it influence treatment? Or, maybe more fittingly, in what way would it be affected?

fracturedstory
05-05-13, 04:45 AM
No one can really say what an AS diagnosis would mean in terms of treatment. We're all in limbo until after the DSM 5 comes into effect. I'll be protected with my anxiety and mood disorder, but if I didn't have that and the DSM 5 came out and a doctor thought well, I don't fit the autism criteria anymore and I might lose my pension.

I know those previously diagnosed with AS will still have their dx, but no one knows what will happen to those people when they want to get services an ASD diagnosis pretty much just put a large boot in the middle of the door for.

As of May 18 you will no longer be diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome. It's autistic disorder and doctors are already diagnosing that way.

However there was another article (I didn't read) that was supposed to be about when the DSM 5 comes out there would be a drastic change; instead of following strict criteria there was going to be another way. I guess it would be about working with the patients own individual needs than ticking off their symptoms. I really should have read that article.

fracturedstory
05-05-13, 04:52 AM
OK, so I got it wrong. It's actually about abandoning the DSM, which if you read it makes a whole lot more sense for those people who are 'sub-threshold.'

http://mindhacks.com/2013/05/03/national-institute-of-mental-health-abandoning-the-dsm/