View Full Version : Programmer Creates and lives on Soylent formula

ryanchappell
04-10-13, 02:21 PM
This one made the rounds in the internet news last month and caught my attention.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/articles/14272/20130315/rob-rhinehart-24-creates-soylent-why-never-food-bolemia-diet-weight-exercise-health-nutrition-eating.htm

The news headlined it like the guy hates eating and is weird or something, but based on my recent inquiries into organic, gluten free, and paleo diets, as an attempt to control ADD, it makes complete sense, and I think that is what Rob is doing. http://robrhinehart.com/

I decided months ago that switching to paleo and gluten free would be great, but I could only do it if I won the lottery and could pay for a food service or a personal chef. With Soylent an Ensure, feeding tube-like formula could put me on that road for $150 a month. I would try it!

The idea is that the food we eat has become so processed and unnatural that chemicals and preservatives, and even hormones and drugs given to the cattle and chickens, are exacerbating our ADD symptoms somehow. Also, the things food animals are fed lead to them containing less nutrients, than the did decades ago.

immabum
04-10-13, 03:47 PM
Don't forget genetically modified wheat and decreased magnesium in diets. Milk hormones scare me too...which is why i drink skim/1%. I'm curious to try the gluten free diet thing too....but it seems like gluten is everywhere!

I tried Atkins for a couple months -definitely think there is something to be said for reducing simple carbs in our diet. I felt more mentally crisp and more steady energy throughout the day. The lack of variety kind of killed it for me tho. Plus workouts became super exhausting(not in a good way). Was an eye opener tho. I have cut carbs since (not to the point of ketosis tho)

Oh and as a guy, I've become soy-phobic. Phytoestrogens scare me. Moobs, sperm count decline -I dunno, I suppose I should look into it more. I don't use any protein powders that contains soy. Probably ok for most women (well not if they have some hormonally driven cancer eg breast) but I'm not really convinced its the best thing for guys. Heck maybe it's driving early puberty rates? Then again there's BPA...but I digress

I'm pretty sure we could feed a lot more people in the world if there were less inefficiencies/waste built into the system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_waste

Good idea tho. Maybe some 'super bar' that has a long shelf live can be developed for developing nations/starving people some day.

ryanchappell
04-10-13, 07:33 PM
Milk hormones scare me too... which is why i drink skim/1%.

I heard the hormones in milk could contain estrogen and cause early puberty in females. I have tried the organic milk a couple of times, and have decided that I can justify it a $6 a gallon over the $4 regular, because the expiration date averages 2-4 weeks longer and we never have any left in the fridge past the expiration date. I never bought into all the organic hype until I was told about studies that show paleo diets can help ADD.

seems like gluten is everywhere!

Yeah it too hard for me to acquire all these these foods on a daily and varied basis to keep a diet change going long enough (it takes a month) to see any change in symptoms, let alone permanently. The diet would exhaust more energy than I would gain, unless I had a personal chef or someone to serve it to me...

there is something to be said for reducing simple carbs in our diet. I felt more mentally crisp and more steady energy throughout the day.

Well you also reduced or ceased gluten intake. Non gluten carbs like rice or those in the Soylent probably help. I love rice, and hate (only tolerate) most breads. I think my appetite craves what the body needs. I did hear that the arsenic count in rice is pretty high though. I have always craved meat primarily, and will happily just eat meat. A classic example is as a kid I would often use the hamburger bun to conceal my consumption of the patty, and just leave the bun behind.

oneup
04-10-13, 08:20 PM
Did you ever hear about the movie soylent green? If your thinking of creating a diet, I would avoid any reference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green).

I follow the paleo diet, except with grains.

ryanchappell
04-10-13, 09:48 PM
Did you ever hear about the movie soylent green? If your thinking of creating a diet, I would avoid any reference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green).
I follow the paleo diet, except with grains.

Yes, I know all about the Charlton Heston movie you speak of, despite never seeing it. I am pretty sure the guy creating this drink, Rob Rhinehart, named it Soylent after Soylent Green on purpose, because of a dark sense of humor or to create more buzz. It was just a personal research project, and a pet name, by the way.

Besides, the first Soylents in the movie, Soylent Yellow and Soylent Red were only made of plankton, I guess Rob has plans for later...

To me Paleo means eating game meat, organic grain fed beef, or somehow seafood without mercury, mostly, but also the organic grains and vegetables that it allows. How do you do it? Organic beef is $10-30 a pound.

immabum
04-10-13, 11:11 PM
Ya I'm still on the fence about my feelings towards milk consumption in western society (the whole osteoporosis vs milk consumption conumdrum). Its by habit I still drink milk (plus what else am i going to pour in my cereal?? -hmm I never really thought about this evil collusion before OMG haha) Ya, we're rigged to drink milk. I do feel better drinking skim tho and popping an extra vit D daily...vs the full fat homo variety (I didn't bother to look up how much fat i was ingesting via milk until high school...I didn't feel too hot that day:P

My dad went nuts over something called chlorella before (hes a sucker for late night infomercials and alternative medicine websites *sigh*) I think it was algae based.

ryanchappell
04-11-13, 12:43 AM
Ya I'm still on the fence about my feelings towards milk consumption in western society (the whole osteoporosis vs milk consumption conumdrum). Its by habit I still drink milk (plus what else am i going to pour in my cereal?? -hmm I never really thought about this evil collusion before OMG haha) Ya, we're rigged to drink milk. I do feel better drinking skim tho and popping an extra vit D daily...vs the full fat homo variety (I didn't bother to look up how much fat i was ingesting via milk until high school...I didn't feel too hot that day:P

My dad went nuts over something called chlorella before (hes a sucker for late night infomercials and alternative medicine websites *sigh*) I think it was algae based.

I could skip the milk. I think paleo is probably the way we were meant to eat. Milk is mostly post Paleolithic. Certain gluten free starches are Paleolithic.
It just makes sense, because things were hunted and gathered for hundreds of thousands of years.

Also incandescent lights, and the florescent lights that backlight all out LCD TVs, and most manmade light we expose ourselves to after sunset is just messing up our sleep cycle and brains. For all of time up until 100 years ago all the night time light we had was yellow/orange flame based, then we got the whitish incandescent, and the light just keeps getting whiter and bluer like the daytime sky in the middle of the night. I tried blueblocking goggles for a month and no longer needed my ambien during that time to get to sleep.

dvdnvwls
04-11-13, 12:56 AM
How do you do it? Organic beef is $10-30 a pound.

I don't do a diet like this, but eating less meat (though some) and more vegetables is almost guaranteed to be a good move. Expensive meat and cheap vegetables is (I believe) the way things should be.

immabum
04-11-13, 01:41 AM
I could skip the milk. I think paleo is probably the way we were meant to eat. Milk is mostly post Paleolithic. Certain gluten free starches are Paleolithic.
It just makes sense, because things were hunted and gathered for hundreds of thousands of years.

Also incandescent lights, and the florescent lights that backlight all out LCD TVs, and most manmade light we expose ourselves to after sunset is just messing up our sleep cycle and brains..

-I have mainly 'energy efficient' lightbulbs around my home, however for my reading table I use the full spectrum bulbs because its less fatiguing. Plus they're closer to my face (I read something about increased harmful radiation from the CFLs before...i don't know how legit the study was -but it did worry me!)
http://www.humanevents.com/2012/07/23/study-says-energy-efficient-light-bulbs-may-emit-harmful-radiation/
I can sleep pretty much any time anywhere (curse or blessing?:cool:)

I will have to look more into the paleo diet tho

ryanchappell
04-14-13, 09:41 PM
test 1