View Full Version : How you naps affects your meds, perhaps a hidden factor

InvitroCanibal
04-11-13, 07:36 PM
This post is not the usual lecture we've all heard about, "If your meds don't work anymore than you need to sleep more."

As far as this post goes, this is not a researched base argument therefore I did not consider it valid for the research thread.

However I would like to present a few things i've recently discovered. I've noticed my meds work sporadically, I actually don't believe in tolerance the way other people do. I think it may be more a coincidence related to sleep. I'm not referring to sleep apnea.

First off what I have noticed is that almost every adhd person i've known or heard of that is successful either with medication or without does something many of us fail to do. They take naps. In fact many have something of a biphasic or polyphasic sleep cycle. I did this for years before meds. I never knew why but sleeping 4 hours and then going to school and sleeping four hours when I got home always felt right for me. I noticed no matter if I slept ten or 12 hours I felt more tired when I woke up. I've known several people who have claimed the same things. That having sporadic sleep intervals seemed to rejuvinate them much more than just standard linear 8-10 hours of sleep.

Today I asked myself why this was? I notice my mind gets more and more restless as the day builds. In the morning im hardly awake and just as I feel slightly awake for the few hours of the day, I feel more hyper and restless by the end of the day.

How do I cope? I zone out, distract myself to make myself distracted from it, but it gets worse. I start to fear when I will have to sleep knowing the restlessness will be in full force. It's not anxiety per se, it's the entire day playing in my head. It's the tv show I watched. It's things I cant tune out.

I would take dexedrine at night and would calm down enough to sleep as dexedrine makes me feel relaxed.

However I noticed this relaxation was starting to fade over time. I didnt dose more but instead tried alternative options such as rigorous exercise, taking a bath, listening to music etc.

Then it hit me, the times when the meds were most effective was the first week I took them and on test days when I'd stay up all night and at some point in the night i'd take a nap. Wake up continue to study. The next day it felt like my meds were working amazingly well. Then i'd return to my sleep schedule of linear sleep and the meds lost thier effectiveness.

So I decided to try something I did in highschool when I excelled in school for just that one year. I split my sleep up. 3-4 hours of sleep every 8 hours.

Sometimes i'd break it down to 4 hours and then 2 and 2 and then 4 when it was time to go to bed.

Since doing this my meds work, and not just like they did the first time I took them but better. I stopped procrastinating. I stopped feeling that need to zone out avoid my restlessness. The restlessness so to speak was gone. So was the hyper focus.

My girlfriends mom does this whom is a psychiatrist and ADHD as well. My girlfriend did well in school without medication doing this sleep schedule as well as it was the only way to spend time with her mom. When my girlfriend moved in with me, she stopped that schedule and low and behold her adhd symptoms as well as hyper focus and procrastination got worse and worse.

She now does her old schedule and is doing great.

So now the question comes, Why?

Why would it make a difference? This is just my hypothesis but I have read that adhd people have excellent processing skills and horrible working memories. When you think of working memory you think of RAM on a computer.

Ever owned a computer that had low amounts of ram but great specs otherwise?

What happened when you ran it for an hour, surfing, browsing etc, it probably worked alright. But then a few hours the ram gets loaded up, it starts bogging down as it has no where to store current information. The solution other than an upgrade ofcourse is to restart it and clear the ram.

This is what sleep is for humans, it's our brains wiping and clearing our working memories so we can focus on the day at hand. If you dont sleep often in short intervals you cant refresh your mind. Your brain loses places to put information. Suddenly it all becomes important, you dont know what to focus on. You become restless. Then, that 8 hours of sleep you get is spent restless with so much on your mind.

So, clear the ram more often, take naps more often, get used to it and you will find your meds working for you again. You will also see a decrease in symptoms and anxiety. Not to mention naps build the brain.

I hope this helped someone and i'm ok with disagreements. I am not saying this will work for everyone but I say try it, see what it does for you, if it works post your response on this thread. Maybe this is something that can help us all. I really hope so.

Oh ya adhd people who were successful and napped a lot -Einstein, winston church hill, thomas edison, and that'd be just a few I know of off the top of my head. I believe they were self medicating.

dvdnvwls
04-11-13, 07:45 PM
I like your idea, and I think it makes sense. I don't know the best way to do a strict test, but for this one I certainly know how to do an informal test. :)

Drakescake
02-26-17, 08:24 PM
Wow...I noticed the same thing..I frequently wake up at 330-4 am..I used to try to force myself to go back to sleep because I'd have to go to work and would never make it all day. But ive been out of work since October and decided , screw it. Now I get up at that time and around 12 pm I go listen to meditation and nap for a couple hours...I feel refreshed and motivated once again...Best thing I ever did!

Little Missy
02-26-17, 09:49 PM
I take The Adderall Nap every day at about 12:30-ish for about 10 or 15 minutes I go dead out and wake up raring to go again. I get up @ 3 or 4 am and I go to bed about 7:30 or 8 every night.

I LOVE that Adderall Nap.

aeon
02-26-17, 10:44 PM
There is science to support the memory theory, and I'll offer that there might be better serotonin regulation as well, which for me leads to stronger ADHD presentation when in either excess or deficit.

Also, there's a lot to suggest human sleep was biphasic/polyphasic before the industrial revolution and the invention of the electric light.

Cheers,
Ian