View Full Version : Mindfulness Training Improves Working Memory Capacity While Reducing Mind Wandering

ConcertaParent
04-13-13, 12:49 AM
Here's another study on the benefits of mindfulness training -
Mindfulness Training Improves Working Memory Capacity and GRE Performance While Reducing Mind Wandering (http://labs.psych.ucsb.edu/schooler/jonathan/sites/labs.psych.ucsb.edu.schooler.jonathan/files/pubs/Mrazek%20et%20al.%20(2013)%20Mindfulness%20Improve s%20WMC,%20GRE,%20Focus.pdf).

The mindfulness class emphasized the physical posture and mental strategies of focused-attention meditation (Dorje, 2009; Lutz, Slagter, Dunne, & Davidson, 2008). It required participants to integrate mindfulness into their daily activities and to complete 10 min of daily meditation outside of class.
:
IQ can either improve or deteriorate throughout adolescence (Ramsden et al., 2011). Although it is likely that a variety of mechanisms contribute to these changes, the present demonstration that mindfulness training improves cognitive function and minimizes mind wandering suggests that enhanced attentional focus may be key to unlocking skills that were, until recently, viewed as immutable.

Has anybody used the Daniel Goldman CD in the book "Building Emotional Intelligence: Techniques to Cultivate Inner Strength in Children"? I am trying to find something that will be easy for my adolescent daughter to start mindfulness.

ConcertaParent
05-02-13, 07:22 PM
Mindfulness goes corporate — and purists aren’t pleased (http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/04/21/the-battle-for-buddha/?utm_source=The+Centre+of+Mindfulness+Studies+E-Newsletter&utm_campaign=85267d769f-Summer_2013_Newsletter4_29_2013&utm_medium=email)

Mindfulness entered the medical mainstream in the 1980s as a clinically proven method for alleviating chronic pain and stress. Since then, it has metastasized into an omnibus panacea—to help children with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder concentrate, soldiers with post-traumatic stress disorder recover and, now, Fortune 500 executives compete.

Ms. Mango
05-26-13, 11:46 PM
DS and I just started using a mindfulness app for 10 minutes a day. Right before DS goes to bed.

We're only on day three, so way too early to say if there is any benefit. Last night wasn't a really good session. DS couldn't seem to calm himself enough to follow along and was distracting me.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Meagan
05-27-13, 12:59 PM
Is mindfulness the same as meditation?

daveddd
05-27-13, 01:06 PM
somewhat

it involves the metallization and acceptance of emotion

the most popular versions being DBT(marsha linehan) and schema therapy (joseph young)

Ms. Mango
05-27-13, 09:25 PM
Is mindfulness the same as meditation?

Agree with daveddd--kinda, sorta.

The app we're using is guided meditation where the speaker leads us through exercises focusing on breathing and feeling the sensation of our bodies. During the exercise there are quiet periods where our minds might wander from the task at hand and the speaker will try to refocus our attention ("...you may have noticed that your mind has wandered, that's perfectly ok. Just return to the sensation of your body, breathing in and softening as you breathe out...").

sarahsweets
05-28-13, 04:39 AM
Ms. Mango what is the name of that app and what platform does it run on? I have always been curious about this for myself and I am willing to try different things in addition to my meds.

Agree with daveddd--kinda, sorta.

The app we're using is guided meditation where the speaker leads us through exercises focusing on breathing and feeling the sensation of our bodies. During the exercise there are quiet periods where our minds might wander from the task at hand and the speaker will try to refocus our attention ("...you may have noticed that your mind has wandered, that's perfectly ok. Just return to the sensation of your body, breathing in and softening as you breathe out...").

Ms. Mango
05-28-13, 08:35 PM
My employer recently sponsored an intro to mindfulness as part of a stress reduction program. The apps they suggested are--The Mindfulness App (by MindApps), Headspace, Mindfulness Meditation (Mental Workout). I'm not sure if the MindApp apps are available on android, but the others are available on both platforms. Also recommended is Take a Chill--Stressed Teens; on Apple only.

We're trying Headspace right now.

ana futura
05-29-13, 08:18 PM
We're only on day three, so way too early to say if there is any benefit. Last night wasn't a really good session. DS couldn't seem to calm himself enough to follow along and was distracting me.

Keep at it and don't give up. There are times when I still simply can't get calm enough to keep my butt on the chair, or I'll get so antsy that I turn off the tape after 5 minutes. I always try to pick a time when I'm not already hyper or agitated.

Also, be sure not to let your son hear that you thought it was a "bad" session for him. It's important to let him do it at his own pace, because honestly there is nothing more boring than meditation. It's so hard to force myself to do it sometimes, I only do it because I know it's good for me. I'm not sure if I would have cooperated if a parent wanted me to do it, I had to come to it on my own.

If he really can't get the hang of sitting meditation, walking meditation might be a better fit for him.

Ms. Mango
05-29-13, 11:06 PM
Keep at it and don't give up. There are times when I still simply can't get calm enough to keep my butt on the chair, or I'll get so antsy that I turn off the tape after 5 minutes. I always try to pick a time when I'm not already hyper or agitated.

Also, be sure not to let your son hear that you thought it was a "bad" session for him. It's important to let him do it at his own pace, because honestly there is nothing more boring than meditation. It's so hard to force myself to do it sometimes, I only do it because I know it's good for me. I'm not sure if I would have cooperated if a parent wanted me to do it, I had to come to it on my own.

If he really can't get the hang of sitting meditation, walking meditation might be a better fit for him.

"Boring" was the word he used tonight! I think, in general, he's doing better than I thought he would, just because he's sticking with it and goes along with me without complaint when I ask him to each evening.

We did have a discussion this evening about how it's not going to be something that's easy for him to do initially. The person leading each session is a former Buddhist monk with years of intense meditation experience.

Tonight I let him hold a squishy ball because when he gets bored he picks at his lips and fingers and I was finding it distracting! When he got a bit antsy I paused the session and told him to just get up and jump around a bit and get it all out. Once he did we were able to resume the session and things went very well for the remainder. I think tomorrow I'll ask him to do that before we even start.

I find that the rest of our nightly routine goes pretty smoothly after the session is over--and I've been sleeping well too.

I know DS wouldn't be doing this if I weren't doing it with him. Now we need to get DH on board--he has high blood pressure and his doctor has been encouraging him to meditate for years.

Interstingly, the person who puts out this app was introduced to meditation at 11 by his mother!