View Full Version : Writing in a day planner.....

FoggyPhil
02-03-05, 11:03 AM
There is no way that I'm the only one driven crazy by this -

I just started using a Franklin Covey planner. I am right handed, and writing on the left hand side pages is a pain because of the rings. Is there some clever trick to this that I just don't know about? Or is it just "one of those things" that is always a pain?

pembroke
02-03-05, 02:08 PM
If you can't fold the whole thing back on itself so it's one page, then perhaps you can put something (books) under the left side until the left page is raised up slightly. that helps me sometimes....

FoggyPhil
02-04-05, 10:31 AM
Hmm... I was really hoping for 5 or 6 witty suggestions that I could obsess about and try a few times to help distract me from adding this tool for structure into my life..... Or maybe I should just go buy a few more expensive ones in case they are better.....
No, wait, what was that website with the really expensive pens again?

Thanks Pembroke, a little common sense really helped defuse all that.

laila7
11-13-06, 04:42 PM
I use the Franklin Covey dayplanner, and am right-handed. It is a pain in the *** to write on the left pages near the rings. answer? take the pages out and write on a desk, then put them back in when you're done.

Desert Dweller
11-13-06, 06:43 PM
I use the Franklin Covey dayplanner, and am right-handed. It is a pain in the *** to write on the left pages near the rings. answer? take the pages out and write on a desk, then put them back in when you're done.
Very smart laila7! I just started using the Frankling 3 weeks ago and it was driving me absolutely bonkers!

Thanks for the tip!....now if I could just remember to look at my planner everyday then I wouldn't have missed my meeting this morning!!

Tara
11-13-06, 07:11 PM
I never realized that right handed people had issues with this. I am left handed and alway hated 3 ring binders.

jeaniebug
11-13-06, 10:41 PM
Very smart laila7! I just started using the Frankling 3 weeks ago and it was driving me absolutely bonkers!

Thanks for the tip!....now if I could just remember to look at my planner everyday then I wouldn't have missed my meeting this morning!!
I took the week long class and got the huge dayplanner, like 15 years ago (?) I stopped using it after about 6 months. BUT, I still use the concept of making lists, prioritizing and keeping a calendar. However, I use Microsoft outlook for this instead. Of course you have to have access to computer. But there's lots of things similar for time management.

The concept is great. The devil is in the details . . . like losing the book or forgeting to look at your schedule. :faint:

JustNeedHelp
11-25-06, 07:52 PM
There is no way that I'm the only one driven crazy by this -

I just started using a Franklin Covey planner. I am right handed, and writing on the left hand side pages is a pain because of the rings. Is there some clever trick to this that I just don't know about? Or is it just "one of those things" that is always a pain?dont worry you wont use it youll forget, i forgot dont worry we al forget i bet the ammount of people using day planners on this forum is little

roly poly
02-22-07, 12:30 AM
I've used a Franklin Planner for over 7 years now, I don't buy the daily pages for it. I get weekly pages, My task list is on the right so the rings aren't an issue. I still forget to look at my task list once I get busy and by the time I remeber to look again some of the things that should have been done are past their deadline.:eyebrow:

I don't know why I never noticed this thread before.

VisualImagery
03-02-07, 11:28 PM
I take the page out too! Easier. I use 4 ink colors and highlighters. I bought a day runner-cheaper and the daily pages are pretty simple in layout letting me be creative in how I use them.

An artist's take on using a planner. I hate all those boxes and limited space.

I have a full-size binder-need the space. Really want blank dated pages with appointments to one side-in small print.
The Day Runner appt schedule in on the left-side. I draw a squiggly line to separate that from the rest of the page.

The rest of the page allows me to make todo lists-I found one corner I really like to use and then add in other information as needed. this is where I color code and highlight-each section is easily identified and important/vital info is obvious. I also doodle if I want to-great at meetings.

I am also using it to document some things going on in my life right now-a lifesaver.

ME-who never used to use this planner-now loving it!

HardyHar
03-03-07, 03:17 AM
This is simple... Toss your paper binder and invest in a Handheld PDA (Personal Data Assistant) You can keep all of your contacts, shedules, notes, and to-do list on and you can sync it with your Outlook. Franklin Covey sells them with their software and you can still use the principles you learned in their course. Best of all... NO BINDERS TO HURT YOUR HAND!!!

I take my Palm with me everywhere. I call it the other half of my brain.

Here is a link: http://shopping.franklincovey.com/shopping/catalog/producthandheld.jsp?navAction=push&navCount=0&crc=&id=prod800002

zoom57
05-26-07, 01:58 AM
I wish I had a nickel for every day planner that I have ever started...

The joys of ADD!

Gadgetgirl
05-26-07, 12:31 PM
I purchased a palm pilot to help me with my disorganization, it didn't help me in the least, and I'm a true gadget person. I had more fun entering stuff into it then actually using it.

Actually come to think of it, I've lost my palm pilot somewhere in my house.

auntchris
05-29-07, 12:01 AM
I need a big calendar and write everything on it and have it hanging on the wall where I will see it. The gagets dont work for me .

Revz
05-29-07, 12:55 PM
prob just one of those things that you gotta deal with

BlessedLady
05-29-07, 02:42 PM
Years ago when the kids were growing up, I would use the Large size Index cards that are on a spiral wire at the top. I would put the day of th week, date & year at the top of each Index Card & in the back I had the Most Frequently Called Phone Numbers.

After that when all of the various Day Planners came out as soon as I would find one that I liked & that worked for me, they would discontinue it ! Then I decided to make my own. I buy the spiral books that are like Journals with enough pages for a few months & I write the Day of the Week, Date & Year at the Top. On the Oppossite Page I have it Blank for things like personal thoughts, feelings, ect. And I made a cover out of a clear plastic Divider & put a picture in it. I put it over the page on the Left Hand Side & that way my thoughts stay private if I have to open it in a store or when I'm with others. I also got some elastic & attached it to the front & back covers. That way I can open it right to the page for that day. And if I have something else I'm working on like a Budget I can go between the 2 without fumbleing through the pages.

I know its not very Professional looking. But since I'm no longer working, that's 1 thing I don't have to worry about anymore. I print pictures & also write sayings that I really like and/or want to memorize on WorkPad & print it & put it on the front, back or as a Divider Cover for decorations. And if it's something I want to memorize it's always right there. Anyways it works for me & I think thats the most important thing about Day Planners is finding what works best for you.

BlessedLady

Claudia_0102
05-30-07, 11:27 AM
Years ago when the kids were growing up, I would use the Large size Index cards that are on a spiral wire at the top. I would put the day of th week, date & year at the top of each Index Card & in the back I had the Most Frequently Called Phone Numbers.

After that when all of the various Day Planners came out as soon as I would find one that I liked & that worked for me, they would discontinue it ! Then I decided to make my own. I buy the spiral books that are like Journals with enough pages for a few months & I write the Day of the Week, Date & Year at the Top. On the Oppossite Page I have it Blank for things like personal thoughts, feelings, ect. And I made a cover out of a clear plastic Divider & put a picture in it. I put it over the page on the Left Hand Side & that way my thoughts stay private if I have to open it in a store or when I'm with others. I also got some elastic & attached it to the front & back covers. That way I can open it right to the page for that day. And if I have something else I'm working on like a Budget I can go between the 2 without fumbleing through the pages.

I know its not very Professional looking. But since I'm no longer working, that's 1 thing I don't have to worry about anymore. I print pictures & also write sayings that I really like and/or want to memorize on WorkPad & print it & put it on the front, back or as a Divider Cover for decorations. And if it's something I want to memorize it's always right there. Anyways it works for me & I think thats the most important thing about Day Planners is finding what works best for you.

BlessedLady
Wow,i like that. It's a fantastic idea.

BlessedLady
05-30-07, 02:13 PM
Wow,i like that. It's a fantastic idea.
Thanks ! One thing I like about making my own is when something Special like a Wedding is coming up. I can make a extra section for that. My next to youngest daughter is getting married in June & I made a Section just for info about this Wedding....like directions to where they are getting married & the Bridal Showers along with the phone numbers & address for the places & things like cellphone numbers in case someone isn't there & we think they may have gotten lost (it keeps me from looking it up in my Address Book), info she asked me to get about the Marriage License, Passports they needed to take their Honeymoon & the local Newspaper specifics for submitting the Engagement & Marriage info. I decorated the divider & put pages in that are the same as the collors she has choosen for the Wedding.

BlessedLady

jerms
07-13-07, 04:08 AM
flip the book over.. if its a small one that is

steviefranchise
07-13-07, 07:41 AM
Well I'm left handed and my Franklin drives me nuts on the right side.

No biggie, got a small pen and it helped a bit.

gique
03-06-08, 04:21 PM
Just reading about day planners, notebooks, Outlook and PDAs brings me to the brink of utter despondency. I've never been able to keep track of -- or keep up with -- ANY of these tools, and it's disheartening to know that other ADDers are apparently light years beyond my ability. Is there anything else out there that is even simpler?

The only system I've had marginal success with is using my phone for appointments, because I need it as a phone, so I won't lose it.

For shorter term, I've tried keeping a single 3x5 card in my back pocket. (Not more than one, or they just get mixed up.) Then when I lose it at least it's easy to start with a new one.

My daughter writes on her hand, because it's the only thing she knows she won't lose. But you still have to remember to look at it.

Oh, God.

Ulukabulu
03-06-08, 04:48 PM
Yup - I hear you gique. I very simply rely on the old-fashioned handwritten to-do list and have a plain old little notebook by my side at all times.

And I set my mobile phone as an alarm - goes off every half-hour or so so's I don't spend hours lost in hyperfocus on any one task (or hobby!).

tscsantafe
03-21-08, 08:00 PM
I have just impulsively bought a Levenger's Circa Punch and calendar. I am left handed and I like it a whole lot more than a 3-ring binder. Although I am now beating myself up for mistaking a new toy for a organizational cure-all.

luvnlife79
03-22-08, 10:46 PM
That's funny...I have a Franklin Covey daily planner, which is my favorite because of the layout and space (and it comes with tips on how to organize/prioritize etc that have been useful).

Of course it's only effective when I actually remember to write things down, and when I remember to look at it throughout the day! :rolleyes:

Michiko74
03-23-08, 10:15 PM
Ah, day planners!

The only thing I seem to use on a consitent basis is a cheap dollar store pocket calender. But bear in mind, that's only keeping my appointments. I really don't have anything I use on a day to day basis to tackle my to-do stuff. I'm tempted to buy a palm or some electronic gadget, but you know it'll just end up in a pile or lost somewhere.

I do like the idea of making up your own day planners.

jacquline
03-25-08, 09:21 PM
I can't keep up with anything that I consider "routine". I do it for a week than procrastination, here I come!! I have no problem initially organizing something, I think I am fairly good at it but keeping it organized??? is virtually impossible.

kwalk
03-26-08, 01:06 AM
I just bought a three ring binder to use as a journal and random stuff. So far I have a section for medical info and in that part I write down everyday what time I take my meds and I write it down immediately after I do it so I can go back and look if I actually took them already ;). Then I have a section for long thoughts/the average journal. Then another one for random thoughts. I'm sure I'll come up with more sections lol.

Does the circa punch just slide your papers right into like those ringed notebooks? I'm tired of already having my whole break in my binder.

I also just bought a little note pad that I can bring me with me in my purse everyday to write down something quick.

Then my day planner I have is kind of crappy at the moment, but I love that it has things divided into times so I can just slide everything in it's place in order.

There is this one planner at target that I want to get that is realllly organized. it has tabs for each month so you don't have to go crazy looking for the month. Then it gives you organizational ideas and also just has a side notepad in it. I think it also has todo lists and an address book.

adhdogwalker
03-26-08, 01:12 AM
I used to keep track of everything on random scraps of paper, receipts, etc. I still have piles of them everywhere with important info. on them. If I lose one or my fiance decides to "clean," I am screwed.

Since my business has gotten very busy the past few years. I often have 15-25 dogs to walk a day, and my schedule varies from day to day, I have had to resort to using an appointment book. I have a Dayminder Premiere that I got from staples. It is a hard cover but the binding inside is a spiral thing that's small on the inside, so it lies flat nicely. Each day has room for appointments in 15 min. increments.

I religiously keep track of every dog I walk and any additions or deletions to my schedule. This is so against my natural ADD self, but I have no choice. At the bottom of each column, I write down who paid me each day and the amount. This was my New Year's resolution-- I never kept track of when people paid me or how much. I would forget to bill people for months at a time and I would have no idea that someone owed me money. When I would finally get around to billing someone, I would have to spend at least an hour trying to figure out their bill. Invariably, I would have to call them and get them to look in their checkbook and see when they wrote me a check. It became such a nightmare-- not because I was owed money, but because I had so much trouble figuring it out.

My life is so much easier now. I have a whole bunch of tricks to help me get through my day without screwing up. Every time someone calls me to add/change/confirm something, I send myself a text message immediately or write it down on a scrap of paper in my waistpack (yeah, I know it sounds dorky, but all the keys I have to take with me won't fit in my pockets). I put any checks or cash I receive in a seperate section. When I stop by my apartment, I go through my texts and make sure they are all written down in my schedule book. I then take out all the scraps of paper and record that info. I then go through the $ and write down who it's from and the amount.

I still waste vast periods of time running around like a maniac, and usually have to take several rides from my apartment to the lobby and back because I keep forgetting things and have to go back and get them. I also disappear into "black holes" of ADD and often wonder why some small task took me four times as long as it should have. However, my life is still a lot better before I made up my little system. I have to adhere to an exact routine of doing things and have little built-in reminders so I won't screw up.

I have a bunch of little tricks and often leave myself post-its around my apartment. This is pathetic, but I even have one above the stove that tells me to turn it off when i'm done. I have a tendency to take things out of the oven and not turn it off. Hours later, I walk through the kitchen and wonder why it's so hot. I then discover that the oven's been on for hours. What's more embarrassing is the burn mark in the shape of an iron in the middle of my living room floor. I was ironing something on the coffee table and got distracted, so set the iron directly on the hardwood floor and forgot about it. Oops. I guess meds can't fix everything. . .

Lugnut
09-13-08, 09:22 AM
Omg this is funny to me because i have the same problem! It's a pain, but let me tell ya i just started using one myself not long ago and it has been a godsend.Like others i take the pages out and then put them back in....

busygoddess
09-16-08, 05:50 PM
I also have a Franklin Covey Planner (one of the big ones). Like the others, I take the pages out to write on them, then put them back in. I've also added multiple sections to mine with tabbed dividers. The Franklin Covey site has software you buy to print the planner pages at home, instead of having to buy refill packs. You can change the pages to better fit your needs & preferences. You can even change the themes (backgrounds) of the pages, so you can have each section of your planner have a different theme.
I made my daughter a planner with a binder & some dividers. I make most of the pages for her planner (as well as mine) with the software from Franklin Covey. I think the main reason I like it is because I don't have to create the pages from scratch in Word or Excel & planners never have all the pages I need so I always have to add to them.

hillzy
09-17-08, 12:01 PM
For my day to day stuff, I have a 'Text Agenda' by QuoVadis .. *shrug* they sell them everywhere in Toronto.

However, I have multiple calendars, one in my binder for school, calendar in my room, calendar on my desk at work - all with my school due dates and important reminders, I always forget to look at my planner, so I've kept calendars everywhere with the exact same information on it. In the end, wherever I go, I'm confronted with the same information over and over and over again.

I have a blackberry that I use actively, but something about the calendar on it, just doesn't do it for me, there's something about the act of writing things down that just works out better for me. Plus I'm big on colour coding for school subjects with highlighters, so I don't even have to think, I just know by glancing at a calendar, what is coming up next.

As for the writing issue and being right handed, i have the same issue, but I've just learned to position the paper and write carefully towards the crease of the page.

Besides, keeping a paper agenda is a real treat for a nerd like me .. I have an exceptional penchant for highlighters, stickers, post-its, post-it flags, pens .. you name it, I love it :D

busygoddess
09-17-08, 04:10 PM
For my day to day stuff, I have a 'Text Agenda' by QuoVadis .. *shrug* they sell them everywhere in Toronto.

However, I have multiple calendars, one in my binder for school, calendar in my room, calendar on my desk at work - all with my school due dates and important reminders, I always forget to look at my planner, so I've kept calendars everywhere with the exact same information on it. In the end, wherever I go, I'm confronted with the same information over and over and over again.

I have a blackberry that I use actively, but something about the calendar on it, just doesn't do it for me, there's something about the act of writing things down that just works out better for me. Plus I'm big on colour coding for school subjects with highlighters, so I don't even have to think, I just know by glancing at a calendar, what is coming up next.

As for the writing issue and being right handed, i have the same issue, but I've just learned to position the paper and write carefully towards the crease of the page.

Besides, keeping a paper agenda is a real treat for a nerd like me .. I have an exceptional penchant for highlighters, stickers, post-its, post-it flags, pens .. you name it, I love it :D

We also have multiple calendars. There's one in the kitchen, a dry erase one in the dining room, one in my daughter's room, my daughter & I each have one in our planners, and one hanging in the doorway from the dining room to the living room.
For remembering to use my planner, I've found that leaving it on the dining room table before I go to bed, open to the next day's to-do list, has helped a lot. I can't leave it there while the kids eat breakfast (my son would pour his cereal or milk all over it), so I have to look at it every morning when I move it. I find that that helps me remember to use it through out the day.
I'm with you on enjoying paper agendas. I kind of collect pens, so I love being able to use my many different kinds & colors of pens. I not only have post-its on my computer desk, but also carry them in my purse. I actually kind of carry a whole office with me. Between my purse & my laptop bag I have, whiteout, post-its, notebook, pens, pencils, erasers, bookmarks, paper clips, a digital voice recorder, & a calendar. That's not even including what's in my binder. I find that it helps, though. I always have a way to jot things down.

bombadilla
03-26-09, 07:55 AM
I have a book-calendar that I love dearly. Its a bit expencive book with a fancy binding that is just my style.
Besides, we have a family-planning-calendar (no, not meant for making babies, but for having a somewhat overlook at each members acticities. "The family" is just me, my boyfriend and two budgies, but thats is more than enough.

Now, we havent really come as far as to put UP the calendar yet, and definately not to using it. We just need to put up a board we can pin it to first. But I think it will make homekeeping a lot easier for us.

stef
03-26-09, 08:52 AM
I hate day planners, they always ended up as diaries (I'd write what I did that day instead of planning) , in spite of my very best intentions in January to use one properly. I just write everything to do in a small notebook and a bigger notebook is for a journal (no rings in either!)

Trouskers
02-10-10, 11:54 AM
i love day planners...ijust cant kep up with using them...