View Full Version : Gaming and Eyesight...?

Ninjas
04-17-13, 05:40 AM
So yeah, I use handheld platform most of the time... And use my laptop quite a bit too.

I've seen some gamers with 20/20 or better, but there are also some with relatively poor eyesight. Is the whole thing a myth like some people suggest, or does it really ruin your eyesight?

dvdnvwls
04-17-13, 05:49 AM
Serious eye strain over a long period of time really can ruin your eyesight. Is this serious eye strain? I don't know.

SquarePeg
04-17-13, 06:39 AM
Like dvdnvwls says, it can cause eye strain and muscle tiredness but I donīt think it causes long term damage. You can get your eyes tested and get glasses especially for a lot of screen work.

GeordieDave
04-17-13, 06:52 AM
I've been gaming and working in front of a computer screen from the age of 13. I still spend 7 hours a day in front of a computer at work and then a couple of hours when I'm at home and my eye sight is 20/20. I can read things from a mile off.

But yes it does cause a lot of strain and and muscle tiredness.

TagEHeuer
04-17-13, 07:22 AM
I've been gaming and working in front of a computer screen from the age of 13. I still spend 7 hours a day in front of a computer at work and then a couple of hours when I'm at home and my eye sight is 20/20. I can read things from a mile off.

But yes it does cause a lot of strain and and muscle tiredness.

We all know you Geordies are supernatural!

silivrentoliel
04-17-13, 09:01 AM
DH has lived in front of computers and TVs since he was maybe 5 or so... he *does* wear a very low rx of reading glasses, but the anti-glare on them is the most important (the lights give him headaches).

I think after a while, your eyes might become strained and tired... but other than tired muscles not working the greatest, I don't think it long-term affects (effects) them.

malaka
04-18-13, 09:01 AM
a true gamer knows:

http://www.gunnars.com/

buy one if u can afford it

Conman
04-18-13, 10:51 AM
regardless of what my reflexes may or may not be in video games (depends on the game and if i actually have good reflexes for them, i need somebodyelse's input about that since mine would be biased), my hand-eye coordination in real life is still just godawful

dresser
04-18-13, 12:05 PM
the Eskimo of Russia and Canada developed glasses to prevent snow blindness
a piece of bone with slots to peer through and cut the reflexion . welding flashes blister
the eye ball is very painfull and anyoing yet they happen mainly from you peripheral vision
these people have wrinkle at the sides of there eyes from squinting or laughing not sure no studys done

keliza
04-18-13, 01:51 PM
Prolonged staring at a screen can cause eye strain, and also problems with the telescope in your eye. Your eye has a muscle in it that adjusts like a telescope lens to whatever you're focusing on, up close or at a distance. Have you ever noticed that when you read or do something else up close for a long period of time, then look up at something far away, it's hard to focus on? That's because your telescope in your eye has been "stuck" at a short distance, which it isn't meant for, so it spasms and can cause short-term loss of visual acuity.

Over the long-term, you CAN cause damage to your eyes by repeatedly straining them in this way. If you are already nearsighted (blurry at a distance) you can speed up the rate at which your vision degrades. Even if you aren't already nearsighted, you can strain the eye so many times that the shape of the eye changes, causing nearsightedness and the need for glasses. Nearsightedness is caused by the eye surface being curved differently than it is supposed to be, altering the way light is received and processed by the eye, causing things far away to be blurry as a result.

When your eyes are constantly strained from doing something up close, like playing hand-held video games, the chronic muscle strain actually pulls on the eye and can encourage a slight change in shape, causing nearsightedness or making already-present nearsightedness worse. Eyes are adaptive, and your body doesn't know that you don't WANT them to adapt to being used at close range constantly. It's not what eyes are made for, but if you do this for hours and days and months and years, your eyes will adapt, like any other part of the human body. This adaptation, unfortunately, comes at a price.

If you can reduce the strain on your eyes, you can reduce the tension that encourages permanent eye strain/damage. Take breaks and look at things around the room that are not close to you - it's like getting up out of your chair and stretching, but for your eyes. It gets the eye muscles moving around, lengthens the telescope, and helps combat strain. You should probably also limit the amount of time you spend playing video games in general. Even if you take frequent breaks, several hours a day of close-range focus is not going to be good for your sight long-term.

keliza
04-18-13, 01:53 PM
By the way, I learned all this because my sight is nearly shot from my job. I work in computers so I spend a great deal of my day staring at computer screens. After my first couple of years on the job, my glasses prescription had doubled and I needed bifocals to see small things up close, like screws and other little computer parts, or even just to read the label on the underside of a laptop. There's not much I can do about it except take frequent "eye breaks" and try to limit my screen time at home since I get so much of it at work.