View Full Version : A Very Strong Contender

tambourine-man
04-20-13, 08:00 AM
My doctor gave me a very small script of Focalin XR 20mg just in case I might prefer it to Dexedrine. I think he's more comfortable with Focalin. I wasn't expecting to be at all that impressed .

I was, however, profoundly surprised. First things first, this feels nothing since Ritalin. I can hardly believe the two are supposed to be so similar. This is a very smooth medication. It may very well be smoother than Dexedrine. All of the side-effects associated with Ritalin are complete absent here. The power of focus it provides is top notch. Low physical effects. Motivating but not to the degree of Ritalin. I can't tell for certain, but it seems to last just about as long as a Dexedrine Spansule. The "feel" of the med is remarkably clean.

I'm thinking I could switch between this and Dex to avoid tolerance issues.

Amtram
04-20-13, 05:23 PM
This is great to hear! I hope it keeps working well for you!

ana futura
04-20-13, 10:26 PM
Focalin is AWESOME. I don't even notice it. The only way I can tell it's working is that I can read rather complicated theoretical texts within a half hour of taking it. I can tell it's time to take more when I can't make sense of the words anymore. It kills my LD issues. Beyond that, it leaves "me" mostly untouched. I can still act loopy and crazy if I want to. It lets me act like a grown up if I choose, but it's not controlling.

The motivation is very subtle, but I think that's good. It's so subtle that I often can't tell whether the motivation is coming from me or the med, which is great for my self esteem.

G252013
04-23-13, 05:54 PM
Focalin is AWESOME. I don't even notice it. It lets me act like a grown up if I choose, but it's not controlling.

The motivation is very subtle, but I think that's good. It's so subtle that I often can't tell whether the motivation is coming from me or the med, which is great for my self esteem.

This is the truely unique feature of focalin. You keep all the good of ADHD, and kiss the bad GOODBYE !

mommytriz
04-26-13, 10:39 PM
This is really great to hear. We are thinking of trying Biphentin( Canada's version of focalin) with my almost 9 year old as she wants to try meds now & Vyvanse had a few tough side effects for her last spring. Thank you for posting, it's very encouraging to read posts like this.

ana futura
04-28-13, 06:18 PM
I'm pretty sure that Biphentin is not focalin. Focalin is Dexmethylphenidate- only half of the ritalin molecule. We don't have Biphentin here, so I'm not positive, but it looks it's ritalin/ plain methylphenidate (the whole molecule)

Still, it will be very different from the vyvanse. No matter what med you try, always start with the lowest dose possible.

dvdnvwls
04-28-13, 07:38 PM
Biphentin is like Ritalin (or more accurately like Ritalin extended release, or Concerta), not like Focalin.

bobC
06-30-13, 11:09 PM
I have been taking focalin XR 20 mg twice per day for nearly two years now and it works well. The anxiety is much lower than dexedrine + the focus is great.

BobC

Fraser_0762
06-30-13, 11:18 PM
tambourine-man (http://www.addforums.com/forums/member.php?u=50130)

I don't think switching between 2 different stimulants will allow you to avoid tolerance build up. Although both medications have 2 different methods of increasing dopamine in the synapse, the down regulation effects are still the same.

It's good that you've found something that you believe to work better than Dexdrine. But did you not say something last year about Desoxyn being your ultimate medication of choice? What caused you to change your mind?