View Full Version : ADHD, zoloft, betablockers and electrical issues of the heart questions.

Themadcat945
04-20-13, 08:04 PM
Hello all, I have had a lot on my mind lately, I'm a worry wart and I have some questions, I have done some research and I want to see what the community here has to say.

First off, a little about me, I was diagnosed with ADHD at 2-3, I'm 32 now, I have been on everything under the sun and nothing has worked, at least a total of 24+ adhd meds in my life. I'm currently un medicated for adhd, and temporarily on disability, but my main question is this, in nov of 2008 I suffered sudden cardiac death, I collapsed, was dead for 8 minutes, no brain damage was noticed and I was brought back to life. I Was then implanted with an ICD to shock me in the future if it happened again, it did happen again in 2011. I have been having extreme panic attacks that I believe are extreme forms of agoraphobia, so bad that i have to panic and run from a situation and I feel like I'm going crazy, I can't control the ability to handle myself in that situation and I just freak out and run away, I start thinking of everything and panic even more and I feel like there is no escape, eventually after 10 minutes passes or so I'm ok, but thinking about it brings it on again, and again. So my doctor prescribed me zoloft 50mg, the main question I'm worried about is. I noticed that zoloft is a weak norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. "A norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (NRI, NERI) or adrenergic reuptake inhibitor (ARI), is a type of drug that acts as a reuptake inhibitor for the neurotransmitters norepinephrine (noradrenaline) and epinephrine (adrenaline) by blocking the action of the norepinephrine transporter (NET). extracellular concentrations of norepinephrine and epinephrine and therefore an increase in adrenergic neurotransmission.

Now from that i gather that it will increase the adrengic response (which in turn increases the signal to increase heart rate) which is what my betablockers are suppose to be preventing, I don't really want to decrease the effectiveness on my beta blocker, which is what it sounds like it might do. I'm also worried about the effects of how it will effect my adhd, I've been browsing the forums and I've seen mixed comments on everything, I want my life back, having an electrical defect and dying twice is more than enough, I'm constantly worried about things that may interact with my heart because I know that it's happened twice, and I'm just taking precautions. As for what type of electrical problem I have my doctor said its no diagnosable syndrome I just have something on the molecular level that can't really be treated but betablockers can help prevent an episode, so far on both SCA episodes my last one my heart got upto 403 BPM and luckily my device shocked me.

My new doctor I don't think knows much about my ADHD history, he does know I'm adhd tho, but my panic attacks/anxiety/and what I believe to be severe agoraphobia has taken over my life and I want it back, but I'm just taking my precautions. Thank you all in advance.

Mac181
04-20-13, 08:21 PM
I'm not a doctor or a psychiatrist, but I am a biologist. However, from what I've read off Wikipedia (here's hoping its right!), Zoloft should be a weak alpha-1 antagonist (so, anti adrenaline). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sertraline#Mechanism_of_action

Either way, even if it were a weak agonist, the beta blockers are going to be what has the bigger effect on your heart directly (alpha act more peripherally, though they effect blood pressure).

Just make sure your psychiatrist knows about the beta blockers, and that your doctor knows about the Zoloft. Ask directly if he/she thinks there will be a problematic interaction.

Lunacie
04-20-13, 08:22 PM
Hello all, I have had a lot on my mind lately, I'm a worry wart and I have some questions, I have done some research and I want to see what the community here has to say.

First off, a little about me, I was diagnosed with ADHD at 2-3, I'm 32 now, I have been on everything under the sun and nothing has worked, at least a total of 24+ adhd meds in my life.

I'm currently un medicated for adhd, and temporarily on disability, but my main question is this, in nov of 2008 I suffered sudden cardiac death, I collapsed, was dead for 8 minutes, no brain damage was noticed and I was brought back to life. I Was then implanted with an ICD to shock me in the future if it happened again, it did happen again in 2011.

I have been having extreme panic attacks that I believe are extreme forms of agoraphobia, so bad that i have to panic and run from a situation and I feel like I'm going crazy, I can't control the ability to handle myself in that situation and I just freak out and run away, I start thinking of everything and panic even more and I feel like there is no escape, eventually after 10 minutes passes or so I'm ok, but thinking about it brings it on again, and again.

So my doctor prescribed me zoloft 50mg, the main question I'm worried about is. I noticed that zoloft is a weak norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. "A norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (NRI, NERI) or adrenergic reuptake inhibitor (ARI), is a type of drug that acts as a reuptake inhibitor for the neurotransmitters norepinephrine (noradrenaline) and epinephrine (adrenaline) by blocking the action of the norepinephrine transporter (NET). extracellular concentrations of norepinephrine and epinephrine and therefore an increase in adrenergic neurotransmission.

Now from that i gather that it will increase the adrengic response (which in turn increases the signal to increase heart rate) which is what my betablockers are suppose to be preventing, I don't really want to decrease the effectiveness on my beta blocker, which is what it sounds like it might do.

I'm also worried about the effects of how it will effect my adhd, I've been browsing the forums and I've seen mixed comments on everything, I want my life back, having an electrical defect and dying twice is more than enough, I'm constantly worried about things that may interact with my heart because I know that it's happened twice, and I'm just taking precautions.

As for what type of electrical problem I have my doctor said its no diagnosable syndrome I just have something on the molecular level that can't really be treated but betablockers can help prevent an episode, so far on both SCA episodes my last one my heart got upto 403 BPM and luckily my device shocked me.

My new doctor I don't think knows much about my ADHD history, he does know I'm adhd tho, but my panic attacks/anxiety/and what I believe to be severe agoraphobia has taken over my life and I want it back, but I'm just taking my precautions. Thank you all in advance.

First, please break your paragraphs into smaller paragraphs. Many of us
find it too difficult and confusing to read large paragraphs, so you'll get
more responses if your posts are more readable.

Next, if you've tried many meds over the years, at many doses I assume,
it's possible the diagnosis is wrong. You may have bipolar or Asperger's or
even high functioning Autism.

You may have thyroid problems or some other physical problem rather than
ADHD. That would explain why the meds don't work for you, eh? It could
also be that you have low levels of fatty acid and Omega 3 would help you
as much as it helps me and some others.

I have high blood pressure and take Zoloft (generic) for my anxiety with
very good results and no bad side effects. But everyone is different. For
example, I can't take beta blockers, I take an ace inhibitor to treat my high
blood pressure.

Themadcat945
04-20-13, 08:32 PM
I'm not a doctor or a psychiatrist, but I am a biologist. However, from what I've read off Wikipedia (here's hoping its right!), Zoloft should be a weak alpha-1 antagonist (so, anti adrenaline). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sertraline#Mechanism_of_action

Either way, even if it were a weak agonist, the beta blockers are going to be what has the bigger effect on your heart directly (alpha act more peripherally, though they effect blood pressure).

Just make sure your psychiatrist knows about the beta blockers, and that your doctor knows about the Zoloft. Ask directly if he/she thinks there will be a problematic interaction.

Don't have a new psychiatrist since I've moved out of state

however my heart doctor is great, he's got a lot under his belt so I trust him, but there's always room for questions right? :),

He's the only board certified Cardiologist and Electrophysiologist within a 100 mile range of me, so that's nice to know for that part. I'm just worried about what it will do with not only the heart side of things (you're post helped a little on that). But what it will also do to someone ADHD.

And to Lunacie, I have adhd, I know I do. It's just a matter of figuring out what works, I have been diagnosed by all my doctors I've ever been too. I'm 100% motor mouth as my mom used to call me :P

Extreme on the hyper activity, I have been on double blind studies, video taped, documented, been to many many psychiatrists.

Anyways, I'm just trying to make sure that this wont have an adverse affect on my adhd and make it worse, I see that's a VERY common question asked, and many said it made it worse. So I worry for that + any other complications :)